advertisement

APC Surge Protectors For Hifi

ryder

pfm Member
Has anyone used APC surge protectors for the hifi? Any thoughts if they would bring any detrimental effects to the sound quality of the system?

https://www.apc.com/shop/uk/en/products/APC-Essential-SurgeArrest-5-outlets-230V-UK/P-PM5-UK

files
APC-Surge-Protector.jpg

Yeah used the previous 5 outlet version and various proper UPS units, their mains cords are easier to tidy cos they come in a variety of lengths, APC do some packs of locking ones with a yellow collar. Use fancier hifi power blocks and cables nowadays, I like all cables to match, slight case of ocd :)

The only mains unit I tried that impacted negatively was a BT power conditioner they left behind after monitoring my office isdn pbx, it sucked the life out of the music when used on my power amps, this is going back years. Found one on eBay jus now
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32475775...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Looks pretty good and solid. It feels as well built as the Wireworld Matrix 2 which I currently own.

IMG-20211025-103754.jpg

IMG-20211025-110205.jpg

IMG-20211025-105217-edit-245981261854652.jpg

I have the single-gang APC ones feeding the equipment in my office, as well as my AV/Hifi gear. Good bit of extra peace of mind for basically no money. I think mine were about £13 each - they're the ones with USB ports on top.

Yeah used the previous 5 outlet version and various proper UPS units, their mains cords are easier to tidy cos they come in a variety of lengths, APC do some packs of locking ones with a yellow collar. Use fancier hifi power blocks and cables nowadays, I like all cables to match, slight case of ocd :)

The only mains unit I tried that impacted negatively was a BT power conditioner they left behind after monitoring my office isdn pbx, it sucked the life out of the music when used on my power amps, this is going back years. Found one on eBay jus now
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32475775...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

0.5A current delivery? No wonder it strangled the music!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
While that will help with smaller surges there's no way it will protect against a direct lightning strike. Additionally this will not help against surges that originate inside the home.

I stand corrected , you would of thought a global No1 would know that
DEHN focuses on the reliable protection of buildings, electrical and electronic systems and human life. Our pioneering spirit and innovative ideas have been defining our company for over 100 years and made us a global market leader for:
Surge protection
Lightning protection/Earthing
Safety equipment

The DEHNgroup at a glance:
Family business in 4. Generation since 1910
2,000 employees worldwide
more than 4,000 devices and components
Sales in 70 countries by partners as well as 23 subsidiaries and own offices

For direct lightning strike can protect only ligthning rod by diverting it to ground, I think, that is why they are puted on buildings. Boxes probably can protect against distant hit. Once we had burned everything what was connected to telephone line when lightning hit a tree some 500 metres away and cable was into ground next to the tree.

I would have thought your mains box would be best place for any surge protection, ie the breaker.
Tried some pc style strips on computer, tv and audio. Got from maplins for about £20, it added a very feint softening of leading edges and dynamics, high def monitor seemed unaffected. I think it depends on quality of kit and original supply, but tbh £25 made in China doesn’t exactly scream quality, I’m not sure if I’d rely on it saving my hifi or lcd screen? Save up and cover yourself more fully, I use a gigawatt block on tv and pc, tbh very diff beast and price but for cash involved (£150) it’s reassuringly solid and effective. There’s always plenty of Isotek kit s/h good kit at prices.

I stand corrected , you would of thought a global No1 would know that
DEHN focuses on the reliable protection of buildings, electrical and electronic systems and human life. Our pioneering spirit and innovative ideas have been defining our company for over 100 years and made us a global market leader for:
Surge protection
Lightning protection/Earthing
Safety equipment

The DEHNgroup at a glance:
Family business in 4. Generation since 1910
2,000 employees worldwide
more than 4,000 devices and components
Sales in 70 countries by partners as well as 23 subsidiaries and own offices

I would love to watch it take 1gigajoule :)

While that will help with smaller surges there's no way it will protect against a direct lightning strike. Additionally this will not help against surges that originate inside the home.
I would not expect it to. If you house is exposed to direct strike, you fit an air termination and proper down conductor(s). The SPD is to clamp the partial currents that will flow in the power wiring. DEHN make good products.

Reactions: x21
I have used Tacima's for years and years.

I have no idea if they provide any protection to speak of but they are reasonably cheap and look OK.

Both systems and the TV, Skybox are routed individually through them.

Call me shallow.

In rural areas lightning strikes on overhead supply lines is always a risk. In this case it is unlikely that any surge protector will be effective. The power of lightning is not something that can easily be negated.

We had lightning hit a shed on the farm, an underground cable supplying another shed passed within a few inches of one of the steel columns. The lightning jumped into the cable blew out the distribution panel in other shed causing a small fire. Fortunately the shed construction, concrete and asbestos sheets, meant no serious damage occurred.

Just an update. After few days with the APC, I disconnected it to see if it's contributing to the poor sound quality of the system. The Wireworld Matrix 2 went back in.

An instant uplift in sound quality after the Wireworld went back in. Instruments particularly percussion sounded tonally incorrect and smeared in a bad way with the APC. The WW Matrix 2 restored order.

IMG-20211114-134247.jpg

The overall result is still far from perfect but it will do at the moment as this is not the main system. The Wireworld strip was previously used in the main system but removed after the mains socket was upgraded(components go directly to the wall outlet).

Last edited:
In rural areas lightning strikes on overhead supply lines is always a risk. In this case it is unlikely that any surge protector will be effective. The power of lightning is not something that can easily be negated.

We had lightning hit a shed on the farm, an underground cable supplying another shed passed within a few inches of one of the steel columns. The lightning jumped into the cable blew out the distribution panel in other shed causing a small fire.
Why you keep the lightning protection system down conductor(s) away from cables.
Companies like ABB and DEHN make SPDs that can survive the partial currents of a 200 kA strike, not cheap though.
UK buildings rarely take lightning into account as it is not that common. You cannot get away with that attitude in Malaysia.

advertisement

Back