advertisement

Apartment needed - Newcastle u Tyne.

mjw

pfm Member
A long shot but I know there are property owners on here. Our lad starts post-grad medicine in Sept. He did the whole student squalor thing first time round and fancies a one bedroomed place as close to Newcastle Uni as he can get for c.£550/month (for up to four years).
A PM would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has any pointers.
Thanks for reading.

His best bet is to try & get a room in a shared house in Jesmond. Loads of options, steer clear of the purpose built stuff, they are a bit like an open prison.

You tend to find that students move about a bit so random rooms often become available. Loads of leering agents in the city & £550 should get him something decent.

His best bet is to try & get a room in a shared house in Jesmond. Loads of options, steer clear of the purpose built stuff, they are a bit like an open prison.

You tend to find that students move about a bit so random rooms often become available. Loads of leering agents in the city & £550 should get him something decent.
Estate/Letting agents aren’t that bad. :D

In my experience of renting in Leeds once you get out of the honeypot areas there are great deals on 2 bed places for less than the price of a room in a shared house in the student areas. I'm not talking about living in Beirut or moving to Berwick on Tweed, but I found a nice 2 bed semi in an OK area, albeit with a rough area nearby, for a very fair rent.

He viewed a one bedroom flat in Fenham today and judged it ‘very nice indeed but too far out’ then a similarly priced dump in an ideal location so he’s on the train home reviewing his priorities at the mo. He currently walks as far to work through Cheltenham as Fenham is from Uni but was dismayed there doesn’t seem much to do in that area.
He’s done house-share twice previously and hoped not to have to do it again, esp now he’s 26.
Thanks for all the wise words thus far.

He viewed a one bedroom flat in Fenham today and judged it ‘very nice indeed but too far out’ then a similarly priced dump in an ideal location so he’s on the train home reviewing his priorities at the mo. He currently walks as far to work through Cheltenham as Fenham is from Uni but was dismayed there doesn’t seem much to do in that area.
He’s done house-share twice previously and hoped not to have to do it again, esp now he’s 26.
Fenham is where I lived and is where my family currently live. Fenham is not too far out but each to their own, I can walk it.

I currently live near Chelthenham, btw. Both areas are familiar.

I'm from Longbenton...don't look there.
Stick to the classic student areas like Jesmond, West Jesmond or Gosforth* a bit further out.

*there may be others; I've not lived there since the 80s.

I can ask my son if he knows of anyone with a spare room; he’s in Newcastle studying law.

advertisement

Back