advertisement

AP Avanti v / MA PL300 / PMC Fact.8

Heard 242 passive tonight.....with 2 x 4200, well they are off my list now....

Interested to know in what way they fell short. I have been considering upgrading to 4200's one day. Perhaps I need to listen to more stuff. Was it a bi-amped set-up?

Well being pedantic it was quad amped passive ;)..... With all the new Akurate model line up, plus at a lot of the time the KDS.

For me, and I can only judge by what I am accustom to, they have sterile cold digital "Hi-Fi" sound, they just don't engage me in the music, a bit boring to be honest. I also find them a bit boxy sounding and lack openness, air and detail. They don't make me believe I'm listen to real music. Bass was also lacking definition, strong but not clean and open enough.

Personally I really think they need to be active before they would come alive... Some say a Solo power can do it.... I'm not convinced.
Don't get me wrong there not a bad speaker, and certainly when turned up loud really kicked out and were nice and tight, they are "accurate hi-fi" .... Which isn't what I won't..... I want music......
Just other and cheaper speakers offer a more natural real enjoyable musical experience, where I forget the equipment and enjoy the music, the Fact8's have done this for me on demo's... 242's never did, the longer I listen the more I wanted to turn them off !..... They are just wrong somehow.

Now I've felt this about them for years, and been dammed for daring to suggest it on some forums ;) ...... but after some very interesting chat at the musical evening at the dealer, to launch the new Akurate range...... I know I'm right and not alone in my view. :D

For me, and I can only judge by what I am accustom to, they have sterile cold digital "Hi-Fi" sound, they just don't engage me in the music, a bit boring to be honest

I know what you mean. I'm living with them now and I notice it. The irony is that I went for them because they were cheaper than Fact 8's, in real terms, because I could get them ex-dem, and go active cheaply. They do go nice and loud with active amps though. The Fact 8's probably only win up to volume level 9 ;-) Maybe when there are some used Fact 8's on the market I'll jump ship.

Actually the Fact 8 might not win.... I'm looking forward to my pending AudioVector demo, the little S1 Avantgarde, ran them a very close second last time, with a better top end thanks to the ribbon tweeter. They since have been updated and now an additional model added, the Arrete, has been released... Plus I should try the floor standing S3's ... A little more than the 8's.... but maybe an active sound from a passive speaker ???

I had similar thought about the 242, nice priced exdem or off the bay.... but I just know I would be disappointed as in another room my current speakers, on lesser kit would be beating them !!!

Oh my final option, I will build my own, as I did before.... but that's whole new thread :D

The avantgardes wouldn't pass the beauty con test round here. Fact 8's are exquisite, 242's are handsome. Those ribbon tweeters must sound a lot prettier than they look.

I have similar dilemma but have the following additional limitation. I am base in Cyprus where a retailer would only import og 5K speaker only if you were to buy it. This makes auditions impossible.

Reading through the post was very helpful. I just wanted to ask whether any of you has any experience with the ATC SCM20active. Cost wise their around 1k more expensive but due to the included power amps will be cheaper overall. The sales person recommended pairing them with on the Audio Research entry level pre amps.

Otherwise it will probably be the PL300s or the Fact8. Both are likely to need some serious (and expensive) power amps.

Thanks for sharing.

Can't comment on ATCs.

I will say in respect of the PL300s is that they need a fairly large room 20 * 20 plus in old money. Also they need to be in a well damped room - in saying that I mean carpeted (or heavily rugged) floor, sofas, heavy curtains etc - 'cos that's my room and they respond well or I feel they could be a tad bright. And they need some muscle to drive them. Meet these factors and you will be well rewarded.

I have similar dilemma but have the following additional limitation. I am base in Cyprus where a retailer would only import og 5K speaker only if you were to buy it. This makes auditions impossible.

Reading through the post was very helpful. I just wanted to ask whether any of you has any experience with the ATC SCM20active. Cost wise their around 1k more expensive but due to the included power amps will be cheaper overall. The sales person recommended pairing them with on the Audio Research entry level pre amps.

Otherwise it will probably be the PL300s or the Fact8. Both are likely to need some serious (and expensive) power amps.

Thanks for sharing.

Audio Emotion are/were selling some SCM20-ASLT's for £3500-ish IIRC. thats nearly half retail and are active.

Thank you both for the tips. Any comments/experiences in relation to the performance of the ATC SCM20 in comparison with the Fact8 and PL300?

advertisement

Back