advertisement

AOTY 2021

matt j

pfm Member
So what are your top albums of the year now we're near the end?

Been a bit of a slow year for me this one, I've bought plenty as usual but the only two stand out albums are the Dry Cleaning and Parquet Courts LPs, with an honourable nod to the Rose City Band as well.

Quite disappointed with the War On Drugs and Lana Del Rey efforts I was looking forward to and a fair few of the others are a bit dull as well to be honest.

1. Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg
2. Parquet Courts - Sympathy For Life
3. Mdou Moctar - Afrique Victime
4. Weather Station - Ignorance
5. Rose City Band - Earth Trip

I agree with both of you here. Lots of great music but it does feel like you’ve had to search a little harder for it. For me, new music has fallen into two camps this year - tracks depicting the world we’re currently in and tracks that try to take you away from it.

Putting together a top ten in ‘21 has been harder than it was in the previous few years, where I could easily list a top 20. Perhaps as a result I’ve been quite nostalgic in my listening/buying habits this year, filling gaps in my collection with old soul and hip hop re releases. There’s still been some cracking new music, and here are ten of my favourite releases that I haven’t quite got around to ranking yet.

Yarni - Boro
Tirzah - colourgrade
Nite Jewel - No Sun
Nala Sinephro - space 1.8
Buck meek - Two Saviours
Cleo Sol - Mother
Floating points/Pharoh Sanders - Promises
Lump - Animal
Melly Mel - New People
Equiknoxx - Equiknoxx meets Feel Free HiFi

Last edited:
The Floating Points/Sanders is last year, I know as I initially made the same mistake!

PS Lots of stuff being listed I’ve not heard of, which is always a good thing. I tend to find a lot around this time of year…

The Floating Points/Sanders is last year, I know as I initially made the same mistake!

PS Lots of stuff being listed I’ve not heard of, which is always a good thing. I tend to find a lot around this time of year…

I think you might like Yarni Tony, Have a listen.

Kraftwerk - Computer World
Durutti Column - LC
Japan - Tin Drum
Grace Jones - Nightclubbing
New Order - Movement

human-league.jpg

Not sure how you thought that Floating Points album was last year, but don’t forget to put Beach House’s Once Twice Melody on your 2022 list.

It’s close but there’s no Slates!

A perfectly valid point. Must dig that out for a spin, it has been a long time.

Not sure how you thought that Floating Points album was last year, but don’t forget to put Beach House’s Once Twice Melody on your 2022 list.

Already on pre-order! I got the date wrong as I checked everything on Discogs as my memory is turning to soup these days! The whole covid disruption thing has really screwed-up any sense of time.

PS I actually have a fair bit from this year ordered that won’t arrive until sometime next year. Pressing plant delays are really hitting some vinyl (though I went for the CD with Beach House as I have all their other stuff in that format).

Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders - Promises
Andrew Wasylyk - Balgay Hill, Morning in Magnolia
Low - Hey What
Amanda Whiting - After Dark
Spectacular Diagnostics - Natural Mechanics

A great year for new music. And some great reissues too. So whilst I'm here:

Ken Wheeler - Windmill Tilter (The Story of Don Quixote
Oronzo De Filippi - Meccanizzazione
Roger Webb - Bartleby
Alan Lomax's American Patchwork (compilation)

Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasure
Portico Quartet - Terrain
Sons of Kemet - Black to the Future
Anthony Joseph - The rich are only defeated when running for their lives
Alfa Mist - Bring Backs
Emma Jean-Thackray - Yellow
Darkside - Spiral

Interesting that none of us are listing ‘For those I Love’ as an end of year favourite, despite the rave reviews. I just couldn’t get into it at all.

advertisement

Back