advertisement

Anyone with a lathe able to make this LP12 threaded top cap please?

jimification

pfm Member
Hello,

This is a piece to replace the top nut on an LP12 Karousel bearing. It would replace the existing Linn top nut and allow a Tiger Paw Tranquility (magnetic levitation bearing support) to be attached to the Karousel, which is not possible with the stock top nut. Does anyone have the ability to make something like this or can recommend a firm to make it? (I'm happy to pay for it, of course) Thanks in advance!

Here's my rough drawing for the part. Any comments or suggestions are welcome, I'm a little concerned about the wall thickness between the two threads at the top.

Tranquility%20to%20Karousel%20Adpater%202-X2.jpg

For reference, here's what the stock Karousel bearing assembly looks like with the stock top nut fitted and how it interacts with the LP12 platter. (The Tiger Paw Tranquility is not shown):

Karousel-details-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Your right to be worried about the wall thickness between the two threads

As they are a different pitch also...they will have their roots coincide at various points and the wall thickness will be approx 0.5mm at these points

This , especially in a "brittle" material like SS will surely make it impossible to tighten the part down without it cracking though (even if it gets off the Lathe in one piece!!)

I think this is a no go as far as design goes (IMOO)

Edit
Might be better to machine out the thread in the tigerpaw part to a larger size...to increase wall thickness to an acceptable level.

Thanks for the suggestions for manufacturers, guys. I wanted to explore this option first, as it would be easily reversed (for both Karousel and Tranquility) and just one piece that could be sent out and made from a simple drawing.

Learning about wall thickness vs threads is very useful, than you! - that makes sense and I think I can strike this option from the list as a result. Making a top nut with a thicker thread area and enlarging the hole in the Tranquility seems a sensible route (this is how the one adapter that I've seen went about it) and would give enough thickness to make in aluminium, maybe. Not quite as simple, as it means sending off the Tranquility for adaption and possibly a new locking collar. Will have another look at it, all good food for thought, thanks!

The part you have designed looks like it would do the job with a few adjustments to the bottom part of the tranquility
Its been a few years since I had an LP12 but I did have the tranquility fitted and from memory there was a few mm of metal that could be removed to enlarge the thread size as needed ( before contacting the magnet's)

If I was making one for my deck, that would probably be the route I would take....
Cut the external thread to say M22 x 1 (the hight adjustable will not be affected by the slight change of pitch size)
Increase the locking nut (spanner) size as appropriate to clear the new thread (24 / 26mm)

Still have it made out of SS... although a tough grade of aluminium (say 5052) might still be just fine

Do Linn make this completely in-house ? If you could find a spare locking nut or two, you could experiment to your hearts content.

From a cursory look, the original part looks to be totally wrong for modifying
It will probably need a custom part and mods to the maglev too (imo)

Will post this here in case anyone else is also trying to fit a Tranquility to a Karousel:

Managed to get it to work by filing a 20mm hex out of the Tranquility lower disc and vertically spacing it with a short length of carbon fibre tubing from ebay (24mm OD, 22mm ID) (This method might be tricky with a standard Linn top plate, as that has a slightly smaller diameter opening) This works great and sounds very good with the Karousel :)

DSCF5001-M.jpg

DSCF5003-M.jpg

Many thanks to the contributors here and to Jason and his dad for the kind offer of help and some very helpful advice.

Will post this here in case anyone else is also trying to fit a Tranquility to a Karousel:

Managed to get it to work by filing a 20mm hex out of the Tranquility lower disc and vertically spacing it with a short length of carbon fibre tubing from ebay (24mm OD, 22mm ID) (This method might be tricky with a standard Linn top plate, as that has a slightly smaller diameter opening) This works great and sounds very good with the Karousel :)

DSCF5001-M.jpg

DSCF5003-M.jpg
Nice one a simple fix to what was turning out to be a pain to get made and to exact measurements & cheaply.

I have a lathe if you would still like something made up.
Recently made some parts for another members turntable so ready for another project :)

advertisement

Back