advertisement

Anyone tried Sennheiser HD598SR headphones?

Pinky

In suspense, not compressed
Notice that they are 'deal of the day' on Amazon today at £79.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WLGRYSF/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I've been lusting after a pair of HD600's for a while but they are getting on for £300 now.

I wouldn't expect these to match them of course but how good are they? Anyone tried them?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Very very close (especially if you're not using a big bucks headamp) and a steal at that price.....if the 600's are £300, these are £220 if you get my drift.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Couldn't resist so have ordered a pair. Fingers crossed that I like them!

I bought the 598SE last year on similar offer - they are great to my ears. I think the SR just adds a remote in the cable. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Yes I'm looking forward to getting them :)

They will replace a 20 or so year old pair of HD535's which although still sound great, have a bit of a dodgy cable connector (works fine when you wiggle it) and no headband foam left. Still, I think they have served me well!

I notice the price is now back up and at time of writing is just under £140. I expect they will be on offer again some time though.

One day though I will have a pair of HD600's (I hope!)

I also ordered a pair from Amazon last night at £79.00 couldn't resist.ill be using them
With my Arcam rhead through my sonneteer orton so hopefully I'll be happy

Good stuff!

Have been tempted myself by the Arcam rhead by the way. Must get to try one. Currently using MF X-Cans which I'd guess are very different sounding.

Ordered a pair on Prime day for the same price but they ended up going back due to a channel balance issue. The same happened with a pair of 598SEs I purchased last year. I owned an original pair of 598s when they first came out and they worked flawlessly until a dodgy headphone amp destroyed them, but my experience with them in recent times has been disappointing to say the least. Great though when they do work.

That's not so good hopefully I won't have any issues with them and need to be sending them back.ive not had any problems with other sennheiser so fingers crossed lol.had my eye on few others till I seen the hd 598sr on Amazon.

Likewise, thanks for the warning. Will be sure to check them out thoroughly when I get them.

Re the rhead, it seems odd that it's reduced to half rrp in a number of places. No idea why. Replacement due soon perhaps?

Yes, they were 'deal of the day' at that price. Suspect they will be so again one day but it may be a while.

Got my new sennheiser 598sr and well happy with them especially for £79.99 great sound and very comfy
Happy days

Yes, got mine too. I’ve tried them out a fair bit now and have been meaning to write some thoughts but have only just got around to it.

First impressions were good. I listened to a wide range of music and let them run in across a few days in case the sound signature changed (it didn’t by the way). The most noticeable difference from my old 535’s (which I managed to get working properly after a bit of cable fiddling), was an increase in upper bass.

Across all the listening so far that difference has been confirmed for me and pretty much sums it up. The 598’s are a fairly relaxed listen with mild bass bloom that can mask some detail e.g. bass guitar which can sound a bit ‘one note’ on some tracks. By contrast the 535’s are more accurate in the lower registers and overall sound more alive.

Much to my surprise, pleasant though the 598’s are, I’m finding that most of the time I prefer my old 535’s. The two tracks that brought this home to me the most were JJ Cale Live CD which is a lot more like ‘being there’ through the 535’s and The Smiths ‘What difference does it make’ which sounds clearer and more energetic.

This is of course all down to personal taste, my preference generally being a ‘warts and all’ type presentation.

I’m intrigued now to hear how much better the HD600’s are!

advertisement

Back