advertisement

Anyone switching from WhatsApp given their latest move

avole

The wise never post on Internet forums
to pass on some information from your WhatsApp accounts to FaceBook, to which you may, depending upon where you live, have no choice but to agree ?

I'm not a WhatsApp and never have been, by the way given the access it gives to your PC. However many of my friends and colleagues use it almost exclusively, and I have been berated by my nearest and dearest for sticking to kludgy old Facetime.

According to Le Monde, many French are switching to Signal, which can be entirely based on your PC; unlike WhatsApp which puts the information on one or several of its own servers.

I have been reading that the proposed changes do not apply to UK and EU residents. No idea what would happen if you went outside this area on holiday etc. Perhaps check this before the kerfuffle of moving (and encouraging your contacts) to a new platform

Yep, probably will. I've installed Signal, and quite a few mates have, too.
Yes, but most of your contacts will not switch to Signal, so almost all of you will eventually return to Whatsapp (convenience is the word, man). The platform can do pretty much what it wants to.

Apparently many right wing groups in the US favour Signal.
Maybe, but in what way should this affect other users ?

Last edited:
We have a family whatsapp group, been amazing for keeping close . Really helps sharing pics and news etc
+1.

Excellent also for potentially so-so topics like health issues or the sale of mum's house. Everybody reads the same flow of news at the same time.

The family group moved to Signal two or three months ago when I first got wind of this.Don't really want anything to do with Facebook. Was p****ed off when Facebook bought WhatsApp out.

Yes, but most of your contacts will not switch to Signal, so almost all of you will eventually return to Whatsapp (convenience is the word, man). The platform can do pretty much what it wants to.

Maybe, but in what way should this affect other users ?
Do you have shares ?

Do you have shares ?
As much as @hifinutt's post is (according to you) not on the point of this thread, your remark is totally irrelevant to what I posted. I don't know Signal, but I presume it is primarily a private messenger unless you decide to create groups - usually rather limited in size, in order to avoid unnecessary noise - whose members are free to participate in or not. It is not a medium aimed at spreading messages exponentially, like twitter or facebook, so I don't see why I should care about what my neighbour uses his whatsapp or signal account for. Or should I ?

I am being a bit thicker than I normally am - I am not sure why I should be worried, what's so adverse that can reasonably happen?
WhatsApp and FB are platform non-specific, sector dominating apps and so have helped me keep easily in touch with my geographically widely spread friends and family and at no on-cost to me....so I am wondering why should I begrudge them a little bit of ad revenue. My phone bill "in the old world" would been crippling for this level of contact.

advertisement

Back