advertisement

Anyone posted off/registered their once free BBC licence payment schedule yet?

I think you are required to have a licence if you own a TV.

Don't think so. My daughter has a TV which is only used for off-air prog's and doesn't (need to) pay for a licence.

As I realised I'd made a typo cock-up on page 1 (now corrected), can I point out that in British English it's licenCe as a noun and licenSe as a verb? American English has the 's' for both. A bit like 'practice/practise', really. quite confusing.

That`s not what the licensing authority say :- https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ104

It says what I gather she uses a TV set for; also games and pre-recorded kiddy stuff. Put it this way, she doesn't, I believe, have an aerial cable and/or aerial (nor cable). I don't really understand how anyone, esp. with a young child, can live without TV prog's but I've met a few in my time. She's been doing this for many years too.

Tangential to this thread, but related: I had a (very convincing-looking) email from someone pretending to be the TV Licensing bods, saying my last payment had failed and I needed to 'click on the following link' to sort it out. It was of course a scam (the payment went through in full last month), so a heads-up to those who have recently renewed.

After flicking through Sky Arts, I am sure 90per cent of this stuff was there when I last subscribed some 10 + years ago.

Will continue to pay the licence if that is the only alternative.

I think you are required to have a licence if you own a TV.
Rubbish.
I can’t believe This nonsense still does the rounds.
You only need a licence if you watch any live tv broadcasts or BBC iPlayer.

You can watch anything else, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, ITV Hub, All 4, My 5, your own DVDs licence free with impunity.

You can watch anything else, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, ITV Hub, All 4, My 5, your own DVDs licence free with impunity.

Or even a blank screen if you feel like meditating. All 4 and My 5 ? Well, live and learn!

Will continue to pay the licence if that is the only alternative.

If you come up with one, let me know, Bloss, as I'm going to leave it 'til the last days of this month; not that I'll gain anything, though. Whereas the free over 75 licence thing was a gimmick and had no basis in logic (why not 70 or 80?), I utterly object to the BBC's crass and callous timing in reintroducing full payment, spending £38 m (?) to collect it and being a prime waster of other people's money on silly fees, salaries and schemes.

Other than that, I do enjoy the BBC !!!!!;)

advertisement

Back