advertisement

Anyone know if Rega has a DAC on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was not envisaged during product development that this was to be a usable sampling rate and as a consequence your Rega Dac may therefore occasionally have problems consistently locking onto a 176.4khz signal.

The good news is that all Rega Dacs dispatched from May 2011 onwards have an update to accomodate 176.4khz and, where appropriate, the update can be by done by Rega HQ or their designated overseas distributor.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't completely buy that explanation - the 176.4kHz sample rate is included in the documentation - but I am glad to hear there's a remedy for it.

Would you happen to know of any issues with the USB input as well? Not that I use it, but I discovered while mucking about the other day that it doesn't work on my DAC either.

I'm just glad the DAC sounds so nice. That goes a long way to making up for version 1 product glitches.

Kdoot,

It was included in the manual as a verbatim copy the Dac manufacturers specifications for their component.

What are you using the USB input for ?

We have specifically limited the USB input to 44.1k so if you are feeding it with higher sampling rates it will not "work"

Best regards,

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

I was only trying 44.1 with the USB input. It behaved similarly to the 176.4 attempt via coax - flickering lock, snatches of sound.

Just for the record, I'm really happy with my Rega DAC and don't regret the purchase one bit. It wasn't my intention to put any pressure on anybody by posting here about the glitch my unit seems to have with USB - if I wanted to pressure anyone I'd be seeing my dealer.

Fact is I don't much care about built-in USB because I have an Audiophilleo USB-to-SPDIF converter. I was just wondering really whether the remedy for 176.4kHz support might happen to fix up my USB port at the same time.

Either way I'm sure it'll get sorted under warranty. These things happen.

Just for the record, I'm really happy with my Rega DAC and don't regret the purchase one bit. It wasn't my intention to put any pressure on anybody by posting here about the glitch my unit seems to have with USB - if I wanted to pressure anyone I'd be seeing my dealer.

Fact is I don't much care about built-in USB because I have an Audiophilleo USB-to-SPDIF converter. I was just wondering really whether the remedy for 176.4kHz support might happen to fix up my USB port at the same time.

Either way I'm sure it'll get sorted under warranty. These things happen.

Do you use the Audiophilleo to take advantage of assynkron usb?

I've owned mine since Jan/Feb-ish. One of the first ones in the States. No problems whatsoever. And I like it more than I did when I first got it. Excellent DAC that I'll have for a very, very long time.

Rega really hit the nail on the head with this IMO. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back