advertisement

Anyone know if Rega has a DAC on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So really, I ask the question; in my situation how good have Rega been in my case? Well in my opinion they've been ok and that's it...They haven't been bloody marvelous (IMO of course) and kept in touch to see if I've been sorted out yet or intervened and rushed a new unit to me to ensure that I have a new unit post-haste.

Come on,
1 they are replacing the unit.
2 PAUL, a member of rega has contacted you about it. (you dont get that with sony/samsung etc)
3they are busy running a business.
4they have dealers to rectify complaints.

So i really think they done enough for £500.

Come on,
1 they are replacing the unit.
2 PAUL, a member of rega has contacted you about it. (you dont get that with sony/samsung etc)
3they are busy running a business.
4they have dealers to rectify complaints.

So i really think they done enough for £500.

This is an odd one, Robert, I tell you why....Because I agree!

All I was saying is why are some folk blowing smoke up Rega arse? In your words..."they done enough" I agree, they've done enough.

Paul Pm'd me once, that was enough....Hang on a sec, I'll get him a gold star....No, but he did ENOUGH...I agree.

Points 3 and 4 are bit pointless to mention aren't they? It's like selling a car and saying in the add..."Comes with steering wheel" ha ha, we know all that as it's elementary.

Nice chatting with you though, Robert, after all, I agree with you. (Apart from the bit about it's only £500 and not a £2k Naim, don't think I'll ever get that bit?)

Rgds
D

As I said, I think people are forgetting that they are essentially dealing with a local business, more or less. There's a human element at play here... you aren't working through outsourced customer support reading off a script. There's a dealer network that is designed to do more than just "sell product", but also offer a high level of customer support. Paul is the dealer's support point, not really the consumers (though, he's available for customer questions / concerns).

What I see here is a few fit & finish sensitive folks expecting a little more and getting even more than that in terms of direct support from Rega. They are being taken care of above and beyond normative levels of customer support.

This is why I will continue to support Rega for as long as they stay in business, so long as their products continue to fit my needs within my budget.

The Cursa is an outstanding pre-amp. The Exons fantastic powerful beautiful sounding beasts. The Rega DAC is everything I could hope for for $995 USD. My Jupiter transport is going strong 10 years running. I just sold my Planet with a heavy heart as I don't need two disk spinners in this new DAC era.

Keep up the good work Roy Gandy, Paul Darwin, and Rega. May you stay strong, profitable, and relevant for years to come.

And for that matter, my well wishes to all U.K. audio manufacturers. I'm thankful for your existence. Even Arcam. ;->

They are being taken care of above and beyond normative levels of customer support.

Rega have made their presence felt on here and that's great but at the end of the day if I buy something and it's defective in some way I usually get a replacement, 95% of the time so all this "above and beyond" to me is pure hyperbole.

I think I'm being misunderstood, I like Rega, I like the DAC, it's all very good and so what if I've got one that needs replacing. I just don't understand all this brand-sycophant business in relation to what really equates to basic customer service?................ "Got a wonky one, ok, have a new one"... surely this is the approach most manufacturers take?

Dazzor, I think you are being too magnaninous, your comments are far too measured and the conclusions you reach seem perfectly reasonable. Unfortunately, internet forums arent always conducive to this style of communication. I hope it all goes well for you.

What would be nice to hear in all this, is a statement from the manufacturer - "We hear you loud and clear and we are doing something about it, we appreciate all the feedback positive and negative as it helps us to understand the market place and customer satisfaction aiding us to build better products with a high standard of fit and finish.

So if you are being taken care of, why all the babble?

Because.....

A) This is a forum, isn't it?
B) folk like you baffle me with your apparent brown-nosing re rega?

Opinions vary,...I personally think your fawning over rega posts are babble.

Still, it's only hifi and I appciate your input nontheless.

All the best
Darren

]
Rega have made their presence felt on here and that's great but at the end of the day if I buy something and it's defective in some way I usually get a replacement, 95% of the time so all this "above and beyond" to me is pure hyperbole.

Well I bought Samsung LCD TV a few years ago that cost more than this and was faulty almost from the start. It made several trips to the service department including having a new main board fitted before it finally packed up a few months after the warranty ran out. Many emails and letters later I got some compensation for the thing by dealing direct with their legal department.

I wish I had had a rep contact me and offer to replace it ASAP.

]

Well I bought Samsung LCD TV a few years ago that cost more than this and was faulty almost from the start. It made several trips to the service department including having a new main board fitted before it finally packed up a few months after the warranty ran out. Many emails and letters later I got some compensation for the thing by dealing direct with their legal department.

I wish I had had a rep contact me and offer to replace it ASAP.

I think we could all drawn upon a bad experience to make a good one look better.

There's a definite pattern emerging here......Folk seem be clinging to notion I'm disgruntled in some way....I'm not.

If one member of Rega who happens to be member on here (who in the past attempted to sell kit on here, and why not?) posts on here when some feedback is given equates to service "above and beyond" then perhaps my take on "above and beyond" differs from some on here and that's fine, of course it is.

For me above and beyond is how John Westlake has acted with the 8200 series......Now that to me is something special.

To be fair, if anything it's my local Audio-T that have been great IMO....They've done all the work and continue to support me with my hobby.

We've all got our opinions and lets face it, that's the reason forums like this exist.

I've run out ways to explain that I think Rega are a top firm and that they are not alone in thier ethos regarding customer service and in my view this is good customer service...not "above and beyond" so in the words of Duncan Ballantyne...."And for those reasons, I'm ooot!

All the best
Darren

FFS after several tedious pages of waffle and hot air has any body got any updates on how their Rega Dac is sounding after a few more hours in play? This is why I originally subscribed to the thread after all.

As an aside mine is sounding pretty damn good after a fortnight. In fact it sounds so good that I hardly notice it at all but just enjoy the music.

I still had the DacMagic in the cabinet for comparrison but it is now back in the box in the attic ready for sale.

One day when Audiolab and Young get their quality control act together I will give them a listen to but I think this may be some time off.

That maybe so Keith but manufacturers shouldn't be putting things onto the market like this or without thoroughly testing them. I'm sure they are both very good products but it doesn't inspire consumer confidence.
Having said this though I look forward to giving them a good listening to at a later date.

Because...
B) folk like you baffle me with your apparent brown-nosing re rega?

Opinions vary,...I personally think your fawning over rega posts are babble.

Darren

I dislike their phono cartridges and think the P5, P7, and P9 tables are overrated. Side firing woofers aren't my cup of tea, either.

How's that? Still love Rega, however. My turntable is a Linn and my speakers Thiel.

Pete the Feet:

Apologies for banging on and spoiling this thread for you. You'll be relived to know I've ran out of babble, hot air and tedious waffle on this one.

FatElvisForever:

Point well made Sir and apologies for bleating on....I was only referring to your love of Rega's service though. Still, I take your point and you'll also be relived when I promise to shut-up and leave you guys in piece.

Kind regards
Darren

Ps, thanks for the kind words of support, molee, much appreciated

You guys still kicking each other up the ass!

Anyways, I downloaded some 24/88.2 flac from the Naim website last night, then squirted it through the dac via Optical; Never listened to 'hi res' previously and can't say that this particular piece sounded miraculous, but nevertheless still pretty good. ;)

Just picked up the Rega DAC from local dealer.
Will re post later on tonight.
No problems with the build quality whatsoever

After an hour of listening (DAC is not burned in and straight out of the box) my impressions compared to my Dac Magic are as follows:
The most obvious difference is a lot more weight and solidity, like I have upgraded my Power amp.
As I listened all I kept noticing was texture, texture, texture. Instruments sound more like they should and less "radio' like. The way the musicians play and their skill shines through, their delicacy and intent.
One of the things I strive for is for the music to sound real. Unfortunately as a musician I know how instruments should sound and I can get frustrated with hifi at times because it's so close yet so far. The Rega DAC is a a good sized step towards what I know to be the real sound of instruments, the double bass I am listening to now sounds big deep and woody, also hearing the resonance of the strings on the board.
My Dac Magic seemed to be faster but the Rega seemed to start and stop in the right places.
The Dac Magic is more open, so far, but the Rega sounds more right and real.

I'll keep you posted as the Rega settles down.

I'm liking my rega a lot myself. about 4 weeks and counting. Still need to figure out what the various filters are for. Would be nice if someone from rega would fill us in a little on what these are supposed to do? They all sound pretty much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back