advertisement

Anyone know if Rega has a DAC on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of this and you haven't even listened to it. Yikes.

If I freaked out about imperfections of this magnitude I'd have a stroke.

Perhaps this is my U.S. viewpoint, but I view Rega and other brit manufacturers as purveyors of hand-built electronics... the factory likely staffed by gnomes and elves, with a magical faerie overseeing production. Occasionally the odd cosmetic imperfection occurs during one of their spontaneous happy-dances.

To the O.P....

There is absolutely no reason for this attitude towards Rega. They could have told you to take a hike, and many manufacturers would have. Especially considering the insignificant nature of your "problems".

You've been taken care of. Why drag Rega's name through the mud?

I agree with Paul. You didn't need to make a stink on the forum given they were already taking care of you.

Another casualty of globilization. We are so used to poor customer service and robot-made goods bought from big-box stores we forget the "human element" when dealing, essentially, at a local level.

If this were 25 years ago, would you have posted flyers around the neighborhood detailing the extent of your "issues"? No. In fact, it would have been viewed as borderline libelous.

Phew! Lighten up bro - or you WILL end up having a stroke!

Agreed,

Can we get back to the topic - shipping companys are shite - they pay the important people very little - insurrect or get over it.

Anyway - what about the SOUND of this dac through ALL inputs with ALL sources. I had heard this was a serious forum.

thanks very much

T

Plenty of reviews and impressions back up the thread Paramidge.

I'm listening to mine now and it sounds the closest I've heard digital sound yet to my old LP12 of long ago.

Thanks,

What is your source

i.e. is it a laptop or PC?

have read the reviews etc. and this seems to be the grey area, I really need to know whether the coax / optical work well with real world pc/mac stuff. I know it sounds good off the back of a HI FI CDP I would expect it to. M2 hi - face real world experience would be useful too as usb on the Rega is apparently throttled.

all the best

Tim

Phew! Lighten up bro - or you WILL end up having a stroke!

Nah, I just tend to write in a very direct matter-of-fact manner. But I do feel as if Rega is getting the short-end of this due to a very "picky" customer. I don't fault the desire for a return, but I feel as if the OP is being unnecessarily hard on Rega through all of this. Especially knowing that Rega tends to bend over backward for end users.

On use, I'm using a few sources:
1) Rega Jupiter Transport (old Clamshell style) -> Coax
2) Apple Airport Express -> Optical
3) MacBook Pro -> Optical (for high-res given limitations of Airport Express).

I will eventally add a Mac Mini as dedicated server (using Apple's "Remote" app from my iPhone for control). Likely with "Pure Music" handling automatic Audio MIDI switching (assuming Apple doesn't address this in future OSX/iTunes revisions).

Won't hold my breath for Airport Express supporting higher-res than 16/44.1, but I assume that will come one of these days.

It sounds outstanding. I was listening last night marveling over how much I was enjoying the music. Though, I still prefer my LP12/Cirkus/Valhalla/Tramp2/Akito2/Adikt....

FYI, USB sounds great also, although limited to "standard resolution". But the Mac Mini has an optical out supporting up to 24bit / 192KHZ and it works flawlessly into the Rega DAC. No issues with Macbook Pro, also.

Note: I believe the MacBook air lacks optical output.

Are you kidding? They guy is complaining about the physical condition of the shipping box and a small gap on the rear of the unit. How would you react if you were the dealer?

No I was not kidding, my post was about the other detail in post, and further clarification in the other subsequent post(s) from the poster.

The unit is £500.00, and this is a lot of money, probably 10 weeks worth of food shopping to some people.
Why should any one not complain? I believe there is not enough complaining about the standard and quality of products that we purchase (not just audio equipment).

If I was the dealer, I would have thoroughly checked over the unit personally to ensure it met the fit and finish expected, I certainly wouldn't have "whined like a girl" because the customer expected everything to be perfect.
If it were me, and I saw a damaged box, you would think the worst after what you have just been through.

Yours

Grumpy B'Stard ;)

Dear Fat Elvis,

How do you best deal with flac via your mac? Mac also appeals to me but I am v. unschooled re intuitive handling of Flac files.

Ta Tim

Dear Fat Elvis,

How do you best deal with flac via your mac? Mac also appeals to me but I am v. unschooled re intuitive handling of Flac files.

Ta Tim
If you want to stay in the iTunes/iPod/iPhone/Apple TV "universe" you simply convert FLAC to Apple Lossless (ALAC) using a free converter like Max. There really is no problem.

If you want to stay in the iTunes/iPod/iPhone/Apple TV "universe" you simply convert FLAC to Apple Lossless (ALAC) using a free converter like Max. There really is no problem.

Is AIF not better as it leaves a little less processising in the decompression? Or is the ALAC not compressed?

Is AIF not better as it leaves a little less processising in the decompression? Or is the ALAC not compressed?
ALAC is losslessly compressed, just like FLAC. There is no loss of quality, but if in doubt use AIFF or WAV. You can convert between any of these 4 at any time losslessly, apart from tags, which I don't think WAV supports.

I don't want to perpetuate the build quality thing but I think it was I that first had a little whinge about this and I feel compelled to give an update...or not as the case maybe.

First off, the build quality issue with my DAC is, IMO, a bit worse than what I've seen from Jazzist's pictures...but photo's don't always convey the reality.

My view is that any manufacturer can let a poor unit slip through the net.....it should not be a reflection of the company...these things just happen, simple as. However, if folk want to post photos then why not?...we all know these things can happen.

In my case, yes, Paul Darwin PM'd me, I PM'd him photo's and he said basically without seeing the unit in the flesh he was miffed and that I should go back to my dealer and they would get me a new one......This is what I would have done anyway and is what anyone would do anyway, surely? Do I feel like Rega rolled out the red carpet for me? Mmm? not really IMO...But then what are they to do?

As it happens I was meant to get a call from my dealer by Tuesday/Wednesday this week to let me know a replacement is ready for collection.....No call from my dealer as yet:(

No matter because when all this happened I spoke to my dealer (which I would of done, irrespective of Mr Darwin telling me to) I got the green light to continue using the unit I already have so I'm enjoying it in my system...only thing is, I'll have to burn a new unit in when I get it...whenever that may be?

So really, I ask the question; in my situation how good have Rega been in my case? Well in my opinion they've been ok and that's it...They haven't been bloody marvelous (IMO of course) and kept in touch to see if I've been sorted out yet or intervened and rushed a new unit to me to ensure that I have a new unit post-haste. To be fair I don't expect that anyway.

Bottom line, I think (and yes, just my opinion) some on here are being a lttle hard on Jazzist. I don't see him posting images on here as a malevolent act and I felt Mr Darwin's response was somewhat incongruous I thought.

Anway, bloody nice DAC and am loving it, minor cosmetic imperfections or not :D

If I was the dealer, I would have thoroughly checked over the unit personally to ensure it met the fit and finish expected, I certainly wouldn't have "whined like a girl" because the customer expected everything to be perfect.
If it were me, and I saw a damaged box, you would think the worst after what you have just been through.

Yours

Grumpy B'Stard ;)

Fair 'nuff, I suppose. I agree that the dealer shouldn't have lectured. Making only a bad situation worse. Dealers don't always display the most finely of tuned social graces.

One time I was having trouble with a new phono cart. Two carts in a row had failed suspensions. The first thing my dealer said was "we'll get this taken care of, don't worry, and don't go posting anything to the forums. [Blank] is a good company and we don't need to drag their name through the mud... you know how rumors can get started on the web" (words to those effect). Probably a wise preamble... reinforces in my mind the problem will be addressed, and perhaps mildly suggesting that if I do post then my problem may not be resolved quite so easily. LOL

One other thing - Hopefully the Rega DAC will re-clock the signal. My Apple TV has a decent amount of jitter. I know there are jitter supression devices out there, but I'd rather have it all in one box.

It will and it does. Check the Rega website... makes the claim, at least, right on the DAC's product info page.

Curious, how do you know your Apple TV has lots of Jitter? My larger concern with the Apple TV would be the 48KHZ upconversion. Which, um, by the way... would likely kill any "jitter"...

I don't want to perpetuate the build quality thing but I think it was I that first had a little whinge about this and I feel compelled to give an update...or not as the case maybe.

First off, the build quality issue with my DAC is, IMO, a bit worse than what I've seen from Jazzist's pictures...but photo's don't always convey the reality.

My view is that any manufacturer can let a poor unit slip through the net.....it should not be a reflection of the company...these things just happen, simple as. However, if folk want to post photos then why not?...we all know these things can happen.

In my case, yes, Paul Darwin PM'd me, I PM'd him photo's and he said basically without seeing the unit in the flesh he was miffed and that I should go back to my dealer and they would get me a new one......This is what I would have done anyway and is what anyone would do anyway, surely? Do I feel like Rega rolled out the red carpet for me? Mmm? not really IMO...But then what are they to do?

As it happens I was meant to get a call from my dealer by Tuesday/Wednesday this week to let me know a replacement is ready for collection.....No call from my dealer as yet:(

No matter because when all this happened I spoke to my dealer (which I would of done, irrespective of Mr Darwin telling me to) I got the green light to continue using the unit I already have so I'm enjoying it in my system...only thing is, I'll have to burn a new unit in when I get it...whenever that may be?

So really, I ask the question; in my situation how good have Rega been in my case? Well in my opinion they've been ok and that's it...They haven't been bloody marvelous (IMO of course) and kept in touch to see if I've been sorted out yet or intervened and rushed a new unit to me to ensure that I have a new unit post-haste. To be fair I don't expect that anyway.

Bottom line, I think (and yes, just my opinion) some on here are being a lttle hard on Jazzist. I don't see him posting images on here as a malevolent act and I felt Mr Darwin's response was somewhat incongruous I thought.

Anway, bloody nice DAC and am loving it, minor cosmetic imperfections or not :D

What do you want them to do? drive out and pick it up from you! the dealer is sorting out a replacement one and if its not in stock (as rega cant build them quick enough) there's going to be a delay.

At the end of the day it £500 Pound's not £2000 like the ndac.

What do you want them to do? drive out and pick it up from you! the dealer is sorting out a replacement one and if its not in stock (as rega cant build them quick enough) there's going to be a delay.

At the end of the day it £500 Pound's not £2000 like the ndac.

Agreed. I don't think you've read my post properly....it was rather long-winded though so I don't blame you :)

No, I did actually say what else can they do? I think the point I was trying to make, albeit rather ineptly was that there appears to be folk on here saying that Rega have been spot-on and brilliant....well is responding to a post and telling me to go back to my dealer that great? IMO no, but it is fair enough.

Have another read of my post, I'm not actually moaning, if you think it reads like that please do quote bits, but not convenient sections out of context though please ;)

Also, should a £500 unit not be in good cosmetic shape then? A rather tenuous point that one, IMO.

All the best
Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back