advertisement

Anyone know if Rega has a DAC on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zazzist,

I would have asked for refund if he made you feel bad, and bought elsewhere. Anyway, hopefully soon be forgotten and you will enjoy product for years to come.

Yeah Jazzist, with his attitude you should have shoved his Dac up his **S - after you had got your refund of course. :D:D

posted previously 'Hi Paul, Any idea what the rattle is (if you have had any returned or any dealer opened)?'

I would like to contact Rega (email or phone) but see dealer is only point of contact listed on website. As I live in Southend is there a way I could bring in DAC and it could be opened and object removed?

If not, I threaten to bring it to Roy's mansion next time I play him at Table-Tennis in the Burnham League!!

Pas de touché.

The only reason he got involved was because I posted here (not saying he otherwise wouldn't have).

I didn't make a big deal about it depending on your opinion of a big deal. Read backwards please.

Your first posts were fair enough. It's when you started posting pictures after Paul Darwin contacted you and offered to sort it out that you crossed the line.

rayleigh hi fi is regas southend dealer.

I thought I had read Audio-T had this DAC order and so on way to London bought in Brentwood. I see Rayleigh is listed but wouldn't fancy taking in when I havnt bought there. Realise now, it was PMC that Rayleigh dropped not Rega. But buying PMC last year got me into dealing with Audio T anyway. (Incidently, Audio-T offered to order a new one straight away when I phoned them, but I didn't want to bed in another one with this one sounding so great.

Anyway, hope the thread can get back to discussing the positives of this great unit. Wonder if the HiFi press will be as excited as most of us owners.

I travelled from Oxford to Reading for their Rega open day hoping to hear the Dac with a pc type source-not possible due to glitches-ho hum never mind. With regard to this thread and the issue of servicing I mentioned to Rega's rep that if they had a service dept on par with Naim I would have stayed with Rega. Anyway, to cut to the chase, I mentioned about the lack of a phone number (for servicing queries) on the website but was assured there was one (I still can't find it). For anyone interested, if you google REGA after a few pages there is an Essex online trade directory with their number on it-that's how I managed to get through.
Must say, after all the business here and real life, I think I'm going to give this whole Dac business a wide berth for a while yet.

... I think I'm going to give this whole Dac business a wide berth for a while yet.

You might be missing out:)

I've got a smile back on my face listening to old ripped CDs. Crowded House, Crash Test Dummies, BBM (Bruce, Baker and sadly departed Moore), Rush, Yes .... all sounding not too far away from a good Turntable sound, only with the convenience of cherry-picking from my sofa...... and seeing album art on my remote! Ok, the double cardboard cover was best, but times change ... but the music hasn't.

You might be missing out:)

Yes, thats what I'm thinking and why I wanted to do the dem. My view is also coloured by my only other demming experience of another manufacturer's Dac (Naim) that also didn't go too well. It make's a decision to concentrate investment in the vinyl/turntable side of things easier to reach and justify.

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to PC as a front end (spent the day cleaning records and playing scrubbed up results to my delight and that of my 6 yr old who commented on the Beatles 'Revolver' - his top band at the moment - "this is more fun than my CD").

Anyway - I would echo the comments of some above. I have heard the Rega Dac and liked it - I only heard it running from a saturn CDP - very good - very similar to Saturn CDP. I would buy one - BUT the main purpose would be to use a netbook and hi - Res digital files - the Rega USB is throttled -the spdif inputs less so - why does connecting all this stuff up have to be so damned complex? Three questions:

1. Will this Dac work (wihout glitches) with a laptop.

a) on it's own via USB (limited to 16 bit)

b) via an M2 tech Hi-face into the Coax (fuller fat 24 bit) and how does the M2 tech influence the sound?

2. What free software is best (i.e lossless BUT intuitive for a non -geek)

3. Any netbook / laptop recommendations (Rega mention something about soundcard compatibility in their blurb - I thought this approach cut out such issues - isn't the Dac effectively the soundcard - surely the software is the key)

thanks for any advice - the whole business of researching this approach is becoming tiresome and I am wondering how many vinyl hours I can buy with the cash outlay for kit that is equivocally fit / not fit for purpose.

PLEASE HELP

All the best

Tim

A DAC that good for 500 notes!

There's no pleasing some people. :rolleyes:

It's only that good if it can be demonstated to be that good-in my case it couldn't, my loss maybe. Hearing it on the end of an Apollo vs a bare Apollo, admittedly over only three tracks in a dem room, I would say that the marginal improvement the Dac brought illustrated the value of an Apollo for 500 ish notes, (foregoes opportunity to roll eyes).

:

Hopefully the DAC works and I don't have to go back. Enjoyment gone, wish I'd never bought it, hope the sound cheers me up :(

All of this and you haven't even listened to it. Yikes.

If I freaked out about imperfections of this magnitude I'd have a stroke.

Perhaps this is my U.S. viewpoint, but I view Rega and other brit manufacturers as purveyors of hand-built electronics... the factory likely staffed by gnomes and elves, with a magical faerie overseeing production. Occasionally the odd cosmetic imperfection occurs during one of their spontaneous happy-dances.

To the O.P....

There is absolutely no reason for this attitude towards Rega. They could have told you to take a hike, and many manufacturers would have. Especially considering the insignificant nature of your "problems".

You've been taken care of. Why drag Rega's name through the mud?

I agree with Paul. You didn't need to make a stink on the forum given they were already taking care of you.

Another casualty of globilization. We are so used to poor customer service and robot-made goods bought from big-box stores we forget the "human element" when dealing, essentially, at a local level.

If this were 25 years ago, would you have posted flyers around the neighborhood detailing the extent of your "issues"? No. In fact, it would have been viewed as borderline libelous.

I trust the naughty elf who produced this 'appalling' workmanship is being dealt with? :rolleyes:

1180489668_r5wUm-M.jpg

Imagine a disciplinary meeting between Mr Gandy and that piss head elf, I bet it looks like this -

Last edited by a moderator:
Comes across to me that the usual sales bulls*** has been emitted to the customer and usual corporate bulls*** statements made.

It is a shame that things like these happen and the customer is left with a bad taste of the experience for all things hifi.

I think quite a number of main stream hi-end hifi manufacturers forget who built their businesses???????

Are you kidding? They guy is complaining about the physical condition of the shipping box and a small gap on the rear of the unit. How would you react if you were the dealer?

I'd be pissed off given Rega's engineering and aforementioned prowess in delivering some decent kit at the right price over the years. Equally I would complain if a DAC didn't do what it's meant to do - all inputs and sources considered - WHAT CAN THIS DAC DO? see previous post -blah blah.

Bored teenager

Are you kidding? They guy is complaining about the physical condition of the shipping box and a small gap on the rear of the unit. How would you react if you were the dealer?

Whilst the packaging exists to protect the contents, given the choice between a product in an undamaged shipping container or a product in damaged packaging, which would you choose?

I could recount a story about a £10000 bit of kit that was supplied in a box that looked like it had been in a war. Suffice to say that it failed after 24 hours. Coincidence, I think not.

Whilst the packaging exists to protect the contents, given the choice between a product in an undamaged shipping container or a product in damaged packaging, which would you choose?

I could recount a story about a £10000 bit of kit that was supplied in a box that looked like it had been in a war. Suffice to say that it failed after 24 hours. Coincidence, I think not.

In this case it seems merely a corner of the box was dented.

Through all of this, the OP hasn't bothered to report on his impressions of what the damn thing actually does or how it sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back