advertisement

Anyone heard Naim NAC 42.5 or 62 Chrome Bumper?

Thanks, Mr Tibbs, I'm enjoying the thread too but it was a bit short of pictures. Just to recap, the two 110s I had both sounded much more improved by a service than they did with a variety of Hi-Caps, regardless of whether they were about to blow up.

Thanks, Mr Tibbs, I'm enjoying the thread too but it was a bit short of pictures. Just to recap, the two 110s I had both sounded much more improved by a service than they did with a variety of Hi-Caps, regardless of whether they were about to blow up.

"Just to recap" - I like it :)

I think I recapped mine about 10 years ago (when it was 15) and it sounded far better. It was a case of the old 'veil was lifted' cliche thing. The thing is it didn't sound particularly broken before the service since (as has been pointed out by Martin) it's a long and gradual decline - they don't just suddenly sound a bit muffled overnight. I'd agree that going from a bit muffled to unmuffled is probably more significant than anything a Hi-Cap can do.

Mr Tibbs

I'd just suggest a little preventative maintenance is well worth it before this happens.

The point isn't whether a service should be done, it's when should the service be done, how can it be established a service is actually required and why is it almost always recommended a service be budgeted into the purchase price of a used naim amplifier? After all, there may be nothing at all wrong with the amplifier as it is, making the service an expense a possible buyer can do without at that time.

So I've been asking how a requirement for a service can be genuinely established. Others have replied already and I have a better understanding now than I had before, so many thanks to those people.

Hi Alex,

I've had a demo of a hicap and didn't buy it because I couldn't tell any difference when it was in or out of the system.

Since you noticed an improvement in sound quality maybe your 110's were in need of a service, maybe they were even very close to failure? Who knows? On the other hand my 32.5/snaps/160 were probably not in need of a service or close to failure when I had the work done based purely on age, there was no difference in sound quality.

advertisement

Back