advertisement

Anyone have any details for a NAD 7120?

ex brickie

pfm Member
Hi. I've just acquired a NAD 7120 receiver but it has no paperwork. I'd like to know its spec, age (roughly), any reviews and anything else useful. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or anyone have a manual they could copy for me?

Cheers

IIRC it is a 3020 amp and 4020 tuner in one box.
Early 80s I think and if in good order it should sound nice enough.

That was the 7020 Rob - 3020 amp and analog tuning 4020 in one chassis.

IIRC 7120 was NAD's first receiver with a digital frequency-synthesis tuner and featured 20wpc with a claimed 2.5dB of IHF dynamic headroom, all in a sleek (but relatively rather cost cutting looking) low-profile chassis with plastic side panels.

The reason that I remember this particular model is that I spent an entire Saturday afternoon providing moral support for my sister whilst she auditioned different starter systems at the local dealership way back in 1983.

She wanted to base her choices around a 7020 as that is what her then boyfriend had (still has AFAIK), but that had just been replaced by this new comer.

Naturally, I scanned the brochure and comitted it all to memory before buggering off to examine the then new RB300.

Craig

Craig - you're right. A 7020 with analogue tuner would have been even better but this was the early digital version (and a bit cheaper looking I must agree with you). But I got it as a giveaway so can't complain. Some more info would be good though!

Ok, I did a quick scan of the ‘library’ here and found the first mention of 7120 in Hi-Fi News & RR in the May 1983 issues Hi-Fi Markets ad pages (these usually numbering 10 back then!).

The price was 179 quid.

Other than power output (about which I remembered correctly) no performance specifications were listed. However, the features list included references to ‘wide-range phono preamplifier’, ‘sensitive digital tuner’, ‘infrasonic filter’, ‘acoustically correct loudness compensation’ and ‘high-voltage, high-current output stage’.

Perhaps I should have also mentioned in my previous post that we both came away from the dem believing the sound of the 7120 to be not very far removed from that of the then new 3020A integrated that was also on offer - with both amps being demonstrated with Dual 505 vs Rega Planar 2 and driving the bottom three Castle models (Tyne, Clyde, and Trent?).

If it matters to you, the claimed ‘wide-range phono preamplifier’ section was quite decent sounding. Good enough, at least, to allow one to easily distinguish the differences between the likes of CS505 and Planar 2 (between which there exists a world of difference IME).

I would only add that the tuner section certainly didn't let its side down either. Actually, I was so impressed with this aspect of the 7120 that, some years later, I jumped at the chance to pick up a used example of the same series separate tuner to go with a 3240PE integrated (the latter a real power-house on the cheap).

Craig

Thanks Craig - that's very helpful and kind of you. I'm waiting for a second hand pair of speakers to arrive any day now so I'll hopefully get a listen soon and compare with some of my 70s vintage Marantz gear!

Thanks again

No trouble at all.

Just by way of price comparison, the same Hi-Fi Markets' ad pages listed the then new version 3020A integrated at ₤109. - with the matching 4020A analog tuner listed at the same amount.

Craig

I bought my 7120 year 1983 and it is still in daily use. I've got specs and I can scan them for you, just mail me. They concern model 7125, which was the same receiver with digital syntethising or something...

jussi @ titas . fi

Hiya, i'm new to this site. You can go to DIPLODOCS.com and download any manuals you need free. i have used this site before and it is very good.
Hope this helps.

I've got a 7150 in my spare room awaiting a fettling.

It seems to be a bit newer than the 3020 amp I bought in 1984 and has a digital tuner section coupled up with a 50w integrated amp.

the 7120 might well be the same tuner with a smaller amp.

Hiya, i'm new to this site. You can go to DIPLODOCS.com and download any manuals you need free. i have used this site before and it is very good.
Hope this helps.
Welcome & thanks for the link - it appears that site has much potential. :)

advertisement

Back