advertisement

Anyone got some old Wima MKS2-XL 22uF/16V for sale/swap?

hacker

Delicious and nutritious
As the thread title says: I'm looking for some 22uF 5mm lead pitch MKS2-XL polyester Wimas. If you have some spare please let me know. Thanks!

I'd take 2, 4, 8, 16... however many I can get my hands on, really. I have use for them in guitar pedals and would love a stockpile for experimenting with.
I've definintely got 6, 2 unused and 4 soldered onto strip board. I should have a matching stripboard somewhere as well, will have a dig when I get chance.

I have eight I could be persuaded to part with...

48723683802_1e6ce593c1_c.jpg

From memory I have quite a few of these... Let me have a dig later and see what I can find :)

Thanks all, I've scored enough to to the job. Much appreciated! For anyone that's interested, this is what Wima had to say when I asked about doing a run of the 22uF/16V:

Wima said:
Unfortunately they are no longer available, we have discontinued them some years ago after low market demands and yield issues…

Looks like we'll never see them again :(

Not surprised about the yield issues, it must have been an extraordinarily-thin film to get to 22uF in that form factor / hence only support the rated 16Vac use (and that only up to moderate frequencies)

I did have a small number, played with for LF filter use, and some decoupling, and found them not consistent: the 10uF/50v parts in comparison are/were excellent.

What kind of pedal?

It's my take on the Dallas Rangemaster treble booster. I already have prototype #1 that's amazing... really, really good... but I think I can gild the lily a bit more using really great components. The idea is to remove sources of noise/distortion except for the germanium transistor, which does all the 2nd-order (and even order) harmonics that sound so good to our ears.

Not surprised about the yield issues, it must have been an extraordinarily-thin film to get to 22uF in that form factor / hence only support the rated 16Vac use (and that only up to moderate frequencies)

I did have a small number, played with for LF filter use, and some decoupling, and found them not consistent: the 10uF/50v parts in comparison are/were excellent.

I'm finding that approx 25% of the 22uFs are leaky. I put those ones in a separate pile ;-)

advertisement

Back