advertisement

Anyone got dimensions for Thorens TD150 mkII plinth?

vinyl_paul

pfm Member
I travel to the USA a lot on business.
A kind friend out there has offered to cut me the bits for a new plinth (eg; mitre joints which are beyond me)

Does anyone have the dimensions? Ideally a drawing? I have seen photos of an official looking template but they aren't great quality.

Layers of Beauty of Barnsley, South Yorkshire do TD150 plinths with claimed internal dimensions of 370mm wide (note 377mm wide in template) x 306mm deep x 60mm high and are intended to fit models with tonearm lift (i.e. the front and back seatings are not as wide as those depicted in the Thorens mounting template, where the front seating has been narrowed over 60mm of its length to accommodate the cueing knob mechanism). The four sides are of 20mm hardwood, and the baseboard is 12mm MDF. The bottom inside edges of the frame are rebated such that the wider and deeper baseboard stands proud with its edges painted matt black. Note that the original dust cover does not fit.

The Thorens TD-150/II panel mounting template is the definitive reference. I've yet to find a to scale scan of this.

s-l1600.jpg

@Craig B Thanks very much for the JPG - that's clearer than most I have seen!

I'll be honest and say that I can't quite make up my mind on this. There is something I love about the original look and feel of the untouched TD150 - I am not sure about mucking about it with it!
I have already replace the cardboard bottom plate with a piece of 12mm MDF and that seems an easy worthwhile mod. Not convinced yet on a new plinth!

I guess its the 20mm hardwood that makes the external dimensions too much for the original dust cover (that and the change in the width!) which is another thing to think about.

Thanks

Hmmm not sure about the green plant coming out of the back of the plinth?
Might shed leaves on the vinyl? Any where is the soil kept?

@Craig B Thanks very much for the JPG - that's clearer than most I have seen!

I'll be honest and say that I can't quite make up my mind on this. There is something I love about the original look and feel of the untouched TD150 - I am not sure about mucking about it with it!
I have already replace the cardboard bottom plate with a piece of 12mm MDF and that seems an easy worthwhile mod. Not convinced yet on a new plinth!

I guess its the 20mm hardwood that makes the external dimensions too much for the original dust cover (that and the change in the width!) which is another thing to think about.

Thanks
I have to agree with you about the original look and feel. TD-150 remains an elegant compact deck, for such with a full size platter.

It is also a great sounding turntable, as is.

I have mine in an old Trio/Kenwood KD-2055 plinth. Sounds great! No bottom cover on it. Most impressive I ever saw was a TD150 in a perspex plinth... Black perspex about an inch or more thick and much larger than the TD150 so there was about 6" either side of the actual deck. Armboard was perspex as well! It was very professionally done and looked amazing! It also had all sorts of extra reinforcing and damping of the deck itself. IIRC a FIdelity Research Fr64X arm was fitted and an expensive MC cart which I cant remember the make of... could have been a Supex 900...
It sounded amazing as well.

I put a TD150 in a Linn Sondek plinth many years ago. I had to trim the arm board slightly iirc but it went in nicely and looked the part.

advertisement

Back