advertisement

Anyone got a good falafel recipe?

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
Title says it all really.

I’d be obliged for some sharing of falafel recipe, tips and tricks.

.sjb

I use this recipe but it's very flexible, I'm not a great chickpea lover, so I substitute black eye beans, the amount of garlic is personal taste but I think 4 cloves is too much if the cloves are large.

1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, drained
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 shallot, roughly chopped
2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying

I've also been contemplating adding falafel to my repertoire.

Do you just whack all that in a food processor?

I've also been contemplating adding falafel to my repertoire.

Do you just whack all that in a food processor?

Having a look online this covers basically what I do:

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/how-to-make-falafel/

I don't cool the mixture after i've blended it, and I don't add sesame seeds. I tend to eat falafels for lunch, so on a day when I realise I don't have any I put some chickpeas on to soak and make them the following lunchtime. Warm falafels and a bit of salad is just about a perfect lunch as far as i'm concerned.

I use fresh coriander and parsley in mine, those cheap live plants you get at the supermarket plant out in a pot and provide herbs all summer (so long as I remember to water them). I like lots of baking powder to make them fluffy. Salting them right is a bit tricky as I don't measure any of the ingredients, just go with what looks right, and under-salted they end up bland and dry tasting. I've tried hand forming and using a falafel scoop, which I prefer as the size tends to be more consistent for frying, but it's not as pretty as hand formed. Certainly not necessary.

As far as blending the lot together, I use a food processor attachment for my kenwood, and i'd say I probably over-blend, going for a finer texture than I need. I probably compensate with extra baking powder!

I'm not sure you can go far wrong, i've certainly never made an inedible batch.

advertisement

Back