advertisement

Anyone got a Brompton?

JezmondTutu

pfm Member
A likely change in my job role will mean I’m managing multiple teams in different locations and attending more meetings.

As most of our travel is by train (civil service), I’ll be tempted to shop for a Brompton.

Any recommendations regarding models as I can see the entry one (£675) is about half the price of some?

All depends on the local terrain and your level of fitness. I saved weight/cost and went for a single speed:

14968058327_cf5699b399_b.jpg

I love it, but it isn’t my main bike so I didn’t need an all-rounder. I went for a slightly easier gear ratio than standard as there are hills around here, so it will never be particularly fast, but I can get up all but the worst hills.

By far the worst thing about a Brompton is carrying it, which you will do a lot on public transport, so any weight you can save at the outset is a very good move. The hub gears are very heavy!

PS 632 3003, for those in the know.

Thanks Tony. I am a pretty keen cyclist, 1500 miles so far this year and just come off the Etape Du Dales.

Looking for model recommendations based on current range if possible.

Originally bought one for the boss. She wasn't at all keen.
Compared it to my Giant road bike on the 8.5 mile trip to work - not enjoyable at all.
Bickerton gives a different, floppy sort of ride. Lighter to carry, not so quick to fold and unfold.
There are other folders more like normal bikes. Names not coming to mind ATM

I love Brompton's and have been riding them for over 20 years; my current model is a superlight six speed model. Not as fast or efficient as a racer but much more useful

What Tony said re weight. Go for a superlight with six gears if you can afford it as your destinations terrain will be an unknown.

Specify Schwalbe Kojak tyres; although bald they are perfectly safe even on cold and wet days as well as being more efficient than the treaded variety.

I imagine a bag will be essential in your role and the Brompton luggage system is one of its strengths and curiously Brompton's handle a bit better with a little weight up front. You don't have to buy a Brompton branded bag; Carradice make some good ones.

I have one and have used it around London for some years. I would buy a 3 speed at least, I doubt you need the 6 speed but Snufkin is right, they are helpful! I would buy the flat handlebar, the S bars. They are stiffer and I think more responsive. If you ride another bike, then it will take a little while to get used to the balance of the steering. I also wouldn't worry about a dedicated bag, to begin with. A front bag again adds to the 'odd' steering until you are used to it. It's not difficult just different. A rucksack is fine. Lots of good ones out there. And you will quickly get used to it and be off happily. I know that Snufkin disagrees with me so this is just my experience. If you can afford the superlight then great.

lutyens10 makes some good points although I always feel happier with luggage on the bike rather than on me.

Some things I forgot in my first post which relate to your points of contact with the bike:

Seat height - there are three options (Standard, Long and Extending) and unless shorter in the leg department you will probably need the longer seat post or the extending seat post.

Handlebar grips - I think Brompton now offer ergonomic grips as an option but if they don't they are easy enough to change and they make a BIG difference to comfort. I have some Ergon ones with built in bar ends and they are really worth the relatively small extra outlay.

Saddle - a personal thing but the standard saddle, although better than they used to be, may need changing to suit you. I use a fairly old variant of a Brooks B17.

Peddles - although the Brompton folding peddle is a clever thing, I never really liked it so use some dual function SPD type pedals on mine. As you will be traveling on trains you would be best to stick with the folding peddle. However if you are ultra fussy, like a friend of mine who commutes, you can get a folding peddle for the right side (it doesn't need to fold...) so the pedals 'feel' the same.

Thanks folks.

CTW is new to my part of the business but Brompton aren’t on the main Cycle Solutions website - lots of indy shops listed though so that is a possibility.

Yes, I find it very useful in the kind of situations you are describing or taking on holiday, handy if I just want to cycle to shops, or if I'm getting the car serviced then it get put in the boot and I cycle to work from the garage. I have 'proper' bikes too but the Brompton is my grab and go bike for the above reasons.

I've had a single speed with a gear reduction on Kojaks and a battle-spec six-speed. In your circumstance, I'd suggest the more gears the better. If you are pootling around single speed on Kojaks is great. If you are at all lanky, think telescopic seat post. Flat tyres are a PITA, so for work consider the Marathon tyres. Brompton bags are great and often in the sale in the New Year.

Use your cycle to work scheme as it will be tax free. Enjoy!

I had a 6 speed one for a couple of years. If you want something to squeeze in the back of the car to take on holiday to pop down the bakery or to get you to and from the train station a folding bike is the only game in town. I would never ride one in preference to a non-folding bike, though. I sold mine once I realised they didn't give a shit about full size bikes on my relatively quiet peak time commute.

I'd reccomend a 6 speed one with mudguards and kojak tyres for commuting any significant disctance. I'm 5'9" and preferred the longer seatpost, too. I also found the folding pedal to be bloody rubbish in actual use and out an old pair of SPDs on mine.

If you don't need something that folds down quite so small, I suspect there are better riding and cheaper folding bikes out there.

All I need is something for getting to meetings from the train. Would also. e handy on. occasions I guess as it would fit in the Elise.

Following the comments above regarding the ride: I really like mine. As stated it is a gear-reduced single speed, it has flat bars, longer seatpost, Shimano SPD pedals and Kojak slicks pumped to 100 PSI. Until fairly recently I hadn’t even fitted the mudguards to save a little more weight.

Your first ride on a Brompton will feel odd. The riding position and small wheels makes for very twitchy steering and the rear suspension (mine is the firmer option) and general lack of rigidity compared to a high-end conventional bike is a little off putting, but after a short while you should grow to love it. The twitchiness is actually great fun, you really can throw it about, and it goes far faster than you would ever expect (the Kojaks playing a big part here). I do really like mine and it has been great fun and the hills I’ve managed to get it up where I was expecting to have to get off and push a great surprise. The brakes are not as terrible as they were on earlier Bromptons either (this is my second, I had a three speed back when I lived in That London, I much prefer the single).

My only criticism is with the quality of hardware; why the hell it doesn’t have quick release skewers on the hubs and modern drop-outs etc is just beyond me. It is a very clever frame design and that aspect is very well made, but the rest is pretty much 1970s Raleigh Chopper grade technology, and I don’t find that acceptable on a bike costing about a grand. Even so I’d still have one over any other folder as they are cool and great fun!

advertisement

Back