advertisement

Anyone ever played with a pellicled mirror SLR?

Cesare

pfm Member
Has anyone ever used a Canon RT? They are going for the 50 - 100 quid mark on eBay, and i'm wondering how they feel.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/...9_eosrt.html?lang=us&categ=crn&page=1986-1990

Basically the mirror is half silvered, so rather than flipping out of the way when you take a shot it stays in place. The downside is that you loose 2/3rds of a stop of film speed, but on the upside is the camera has no mirror blackout, and has no shake from the mirror moving. So basically the response and hand-holdability should be comparable with rangefinders. Also you get no shutter lag at all, the RT starts the shutter cycle within 0.8 milliseconds of you pushing the button which is fast enough for anyone.

All in all a bit intruiging, and a damn sight cheaper than the Eos 1 RS or whatever it's called, their 10fps version that appeared 5 years later. I'm wondering if the 2/3rds of a stop light reduction is a problem. Does the lack of mirror slap compensate for the slower shutter speeds? If I gain a stop in hand holdability but loose 2/3rds of a stop in light it's still a win...

I believe the idea was abandoned because they worked out how to get a mirror moving around for 10fps. So is it an oddity of only historical interest or should us canon lens owners be slapping a 50mm on one and seeing what happens?

Cesare

advertisement

Back