advertisement

Anyone compared high end Class D power amps?

Steve, presuming I found the same one, as far as I can see that’s the original Bantam and somewhat outclassed by up to date models. Might be worth a punt but I wouldn’t go above £90. It may get no bids with a start of £75.

Steve, presuming I found the same one, as far as I can see that’s the original Bantam and somewhat outclassed by up to date models. Might be worth a punt but I wouldn’t go above £90. It may get no bids with a start of £75.
I watched that end on Sunday with no bids, so a good chance this relisting will do similar.

Thanks - I had thought much the same - a cheeky offer or an Amptastic or possibly a Bantam Stealth. I do have a PS Audio Sprout running my computer speakers that could easily be replaced if outclassed..
Ideally I'd like to try a Bantam one but better hold off spending until I'm back at work following my operation.

recently had the sugden a21se with the tannoys . comparing it with the class d icepower 50ASX2 monoblocks i have found the sugden to have tremendous dynamics and snap. very low noise floor so instruments have real clarity and differentiation . quite a bit of low down grunt . The icepower maybe don`t have the lower noise floor , nor the same grunty sound . but they have a warmth and engaging sound and are delightful . slightly like the lavardin that was here recently
I like the idea of the Sugdens with Tannoys. Nut have you tried any valve amps with your Tannoys? (sorry to drift off topic).

Nonsense. Spending money will aid your recuperation :)
I'm self employed, and whilst I quite agree with you I do have a tax bill to pay in 2 weeks, and have hardly worked for the last few months and won't be doing much for the next couple.
Yup, might have to go shopping....

I’m self employed too. Fun at this time of year innit. Good luck with your recovery.

Apart from the Avondaled 250 can you remind me of the rest of the system any class D/T would sit in, Steve.

I like the idea of the Sugdens with Tannoys. Nut have you tried any valve amps with your Tannoys? (sorry to drift off topic).
yes were it not for the slightly vague remote , the sugden would be on the list again .

the best amps with the tannoy were the msb s200 with the valve modwright 36.5 dm

P1010092_zps88816dcb by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1050285 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

and the all valve thrax enyo which is 10k which was sensational with them . 70 watts of glorious sound . thrax are one of the most amazing companies to come out of bulgaria

P1050289 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

http://www.thrax.bg/Enyo.php

I’m self employed too. Fun at this time of year innit. Good luck with your recovery.
Apart from the Avondaled 250 can you remind me of the rest of the system any class D/T would sit in, Steve.
I thought you were Alex - yup, not the best time of year with my house, car and public liabilities along with TV license and road tax all due, plus it's my daughters 16th and 21st birthdays. Not a good time not to be sending out invoices...
The rest of my system is a Sonos Connect fed with flac files from ripped CD's on a nas, RME dac, Avondale Zap 250 with NCc220 boards and Graham Audio LSf6's on Townshend Bladder-type seismic platforms. A few fancy cables too.
My recovery is going well thanks, but once this shoulder is sorted my other one needs doing so that I can spend a few months of crutches while I have 4 ops on my feet.. Ah, the joys of life after motorbike smashes...

hope you continue the recovery

another class D amp we don`t hear much about is the marantz pm 10 , fanthorpes have a lovely pm11s2 which is 2 amps back in this reference level marantz but i think this is the first class D amp at this level . don`t hear huge raves about it but its only 21kg heavy rather than its 27kg predecessor the 11s3 . anyone tried this class D amp? . they come up for sale a fair bit

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/marantz-sa-10-pm-10-cd-playerdac-integrated-amplifier

i believe the modules are ncore

To be honest Steve, and please god I’m not being patronising, but given what you have, I’d stick with it and spend any spare cash on birthday presents, a mini-break if you’re up for it and a few stiff drinks.

If you’re going to upgrade anything, I’d look at the front end maybe. Innuos Zen and Auralic (s/h) might be worth looking at although I’m going in hearsay; I’m happy with a Mac Mini and don’t want to travel that road just now.

Alex - I too have a birthday on a few weeks, and socks and boxers are so dull, so I may follow your advice and get myself something new and exciting..
Changing from Sonos is something I've wondered about for a while but the family like and understand how to use it, and I'm not going to start buying any hi-res files so would a different streamer add anything to my existing flac files?

Very little I should think, and useability is always a factor.

Your system is well balanced, a slight gain might be had from something like the Bantam One. You’d have to explain what you think could be improved. I’ve heard the Avondaled 250 a few times, drive, PR&T etc but hardly the last word in finesse or resolution. If you value the former above all, stick with it.

I have resolutely avoided any real streaming knowledge, partly because better models seem to arrive each month. All I know is a Mac Mini running Audirvana sounds much the same as decent CD and that’s good enough for now.

Perhaps a PM to strictlystereo. He sells the Graham speakers, stocks lots of streaming goodies and has probably scanned this thread.

I tried a Hattor integrated which uses the Hypex N Core MP modules ( ie combined power supply/amp), with the passive pre. It's a nicely made unit with a remote. At first I was impressed with the clarity, but found myself listening to less and less music. The passive in the amp barely allowed enough gain for high level listening in my system ( Tannoy York 93db/w) fed by Audionote 5 DAC ( over 2v), though not an issue with the higher output of a phono stage.
I moved it on, a friend in Hamburg did the same. Turns out both units have had issues with the Hypex units since and this is not uncommon.

Naturally, it’s important that a passive preamp matches with your system. Khozmo/Hattor are happy to advise prior to purchase.

advertisement

Back