advertisement

Anyone compared 4BSST2 vs KCT

9designs

pfm Member
Basically Bryston vs Linn power amp

I use both PMC and Dynaudio based speakers, in the future will be some SEAS based DIY speakers.....
Will be driven by Linn electronics or Marantz AV amp as I have two rooms an additional power amp could end up in.
I have one KCT non dynamic already, can't/won't go to the expense of Solo's

The KCT with it's "Chakra" technology seems a little "polite" to me, they all do, prefer the old designs generally, thinking a more traditional design might have a bit more kick and bite?

I have a Bryston 4B SST2. I do not believe Linn amplification to be in the same class. The Bryston will deliver clean, neutral power with total reliability twenty four hours a day. I have compared a number of amps to the Bryston but it continues to deliver and I have not had a desire to change since I purchased it.

If you live near the North West then you are welcome to listen.

I've had a Linn Akurate 2200 and a Bryston 4BSST2. The Linn was terribly dull and didn't do anything at all for me. The Bryston was as described by oldius, except it takes 45 minutes to get going (it rasps when cold, but don't we all) and I found it fatiguing after about 3 hours. Now use a valve amp and never look back.
Bryston best matched with PMC.

Was the A2200 Dynamic'd as the early ones didn't grab me either, preferred the 2250.
Bit concerned on the comment that after time the Bryston becomes fatiguing... Something the Linn doesn't do. Thanks for the feedback guys.

The Bryston is completely neutral so will reveal anything else in your system. I have never found that it needs to warm up or that it is fatiguing. I guess you have to make your own mind up on that.

I went from a pair of LK280's (bi-amping) to a single Bryston 2BSST and the Bryston was indeed an improvement.
It takes about 30 minutes to warm up from cold and noticeably improves when warm.
Bryston still do the amazing 20 year guarantee on amps too..

Was the A2200 Dynamic'd as the early ones didn't grab me either, preferred the 2250.
Bit concerned on the comment that after time the Bryston becomes fatiguing... Something the Linn doesn't do. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Was Dynamic

Didn't listen to the Linn long enough to get fatigued. Bought it s/h and sold it after a few months.

I went from a pair of LK280's (bi-amping) to a single Bryston 2BSST and the Bryston was indeed an improvement.

It takes about 30 minutes to warm up from cold and noticeably improves when warm.

Bryston still do the amazing 20 year guarantee on amps too..

The 20 year guarantee is no longer transferable, depending on age of machine. They do not publicise it very well, if at all.

If in doubt, call PMC ( the UK distributor) for details.

However, they hardly ever go wrong and PMC said they can service in UK.

I sold my Bryston on the basis that I purchased from a main dealer, gave a copy of the invoice to the new owner, and if anything went wrong they would probably take a favourable view.

Definitely check that, i thought the guarantee was transferable within the same country.

I've claimed on my Bryston guarantee (due to an incompetent DJ) and the service was fantastic through PMC at Biggleswade.

I'll be listening to see if there's a warm up period now, haven't noticed anything yet and i've had them three years.

advertisement

Back