advertisement

Anyone built or heard a Gainclone?

Chris Marshall

pfm Member
Hi Guys

Has anyone with flat earth taste in hi-fi tried a gainclone?

(a simple chip based amp for anyone who doesn't know)

I'm thinking about building one and would be interested in opinions.

cheers

Chris

Hi,
I built one intended to be used for the PC but I was that impressed with it I now use it in a second system, there is plenty of different design idea's using these ic's, some sound alot better than others, the only problem with the Gainclones is that they don't like speakers with heavy loads

Mine is about the same as the simplified inverted version of Peter Daniels on Diy.com but I use 1000uf 50v Panasonic FC decoupling caps instead of Blackgates and I use a diy stepped Attenuator for the volume control, this is also a good site to give you some idea's http://www.decdun.fsnet.co.uk/gainclone.html

I'm thinking about building this one next http://www.petemoore.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/music/

I built a 4 channel power amp for surround channels with LM1875 gainclones (I cheated and used a PCB rather than the hardwire route). Not tried them for main channel duties, but they work rather well, and sound decent. They have high heatsinking requirements, and my sinks are possibly a bit small, so it's a good job they're not getting any low frequency stuff.

I used the LM3875 hardwired with the 1000uf decoupling caps soldered directly onto the ic pins (No bypasses),screwed onto a large heatsink, RC55 resistors for input,feedback and Attenenuator, two 22v 160VA transformers, 8 x MUR860 diodes
Thats it:) and to say it cost me less than 60 quid it sounds very good with sensitive enough speakers

..how do you know you've cloned a Gain and not an Aiwa midisystem (or one of the many other "not quite hi"-fis that use the same chip amps.

I have two LM3875T's sitting here on my desk that I hope to build at some point, mainly to see what all the fuss is about. This chip seems to be the best sonically, from the reports I've had.

The intention is to build either two monoblocks, or a stereo amp with an external PSU.

A glance at the data sheet highlighted a couple of things about this chip that interest me and may result in the reports as to how they sound, but only building it will give me the answer.

All I need now is some time...

Andy.

If your thinking about making a Gainclone I would not skimp on the components, some people have built them using bog standard parts and it sounded crap, mine now uses a stepped attenuator (diy) two transformers (highly recommended)1000uf 50v Panasonic FC caps, MUR860 diodes and RC55 resistors, the only reason I used these is because I already had most of the bit's as spares from other projects, it sounds alot better than it has any right to but they sound best with sensitive speakers.
I wouldn't say it's the best sound available but for what it cost its very good, any comparisons against other diy amps would be helpful, I'm looking for a new project

advertisement

Back