Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody running a McLaren 650/570?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Space is the Place, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

That’s a good idea for another thread.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  2. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

look forward to a ride in it :D
    funnily enough i was chatting to a lovely old boy in the cathedral yesterday and he turned out to have been a professional racing driver driving lotus in the 60s . what amazing memories and what a guy to meet !!

brumjam likes this.
  3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Great. Thanks for that vote of confidence. There is in fact a guerrilla faction plotting a run to Norwich before rush hour (20 miles) then A 17 and an uncharted route though Lincolnshire involving farm tracks, smuggling across the Wash and an unplanned bivouac, but I can't talk about that here because it's classified.

4. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Yeahbut that involves Sutton Bridge. whenever I go that way it is always closed for an hour letting the slowest bloody boat in the world through.

5. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

A good friend of mine is a maintainer/operator of Sutton Bridge. He’ll just advise you to either time your journey for around low tide, or go through Wisbech.

6. Tony Lockhart

If I’m in no rush, or if the A14/A1 look threatening, this is my preferred, scenic route.

[​IMG]

Doesn’t take much longer, lower stress levels.

stevec67 likes this.
  7. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Hey, that hurts! :eek: Haha!

tiggers likes this.
  8. Tony Lockhart

If I were to win big time…

[​IMG]

Dan K and JensenHealey like this.
  9. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Not sure about the Yaris, but the other two - plus a properly fettled 1960s Marcos would have me largely sorted.

10. Tony Lockhart

That Elan Sprint is 700kg of pure joy.

Darren L likes this.
  11. Tony Lockhart

The silly thing is, at 6ft 4in I fit in the Elan, not the Yaris!

Rack Kit and gintonic like this.
  12. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Seriously?

I’m more shocked at the size compared the Yaris than the Defender as we knows that’s a ‘big’ car but the Yaris is supposed to be a super mini.

The size creep on cars just continues.

13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Pending

Chapman was tall, I believe?

14. Tony Lockhart

A normal Yaris would be ok, but that Yaris GR is challenging.

Rack Kit likes this.
  15. Copperjacket

Copperjacket pfm Member

Talking of fit, I recently saw a larger 40-something gentleman getting out of his McLaren in a particularly undignified way and we had a chat and laugh about it and he said at least he wasn’t on his hands and knees this time! I did have to wonder why he hadn’t bought something else.

MUTTY1 and Tony Lockhart like this.
  16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Pending

The only Maclaren I'm ever likely to be able to afford is this one. Probably easier to get in and out of than a 570, too.

Rana likes this.
  17. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Guess it’s worth it once he’s behind the wheel!

Unless the numbers come up, I’ll never own one but I prefer the looks of the McLaren's to the current Ferrari’s. The F450/480 were great looking things but the current one is just plain ugly IMO.

I’d still want a GT3 of some sort to run alongside the McLaren though. Quite like the understated looks of the GT3 Touring.

18. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

The Yaris is possibly the 'best' new car that I've driven since..Im not sure what TBH. It's pretty much a 4WD Torsen diff'ed 260hp Peugeot 106 Rallye. Elec steering is still hateful, but everything else is wonderful

19. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Some great life choices there. House + vehicles. I wonder about the INEOS instead of the new Defender

20. Tantris

Tantris pfm Member

At this price level, the Jaguar F-type is a strong contender.