advertisement

Anybody running a McLaren 650/570?

I’d take a GT3 over a McLaren. Warranty costs per year are high compared to Porsche, which suggests McLaren aren’t overly confident in their own product. I’ve also heard lots of horror stories about reliability and poor dealer experiences, how many are true I don’t know but the same is not heard about Porsche.

Dealing with Lotus while ordering an Emira has not been a pleasant experience so far, to the point where I’m considering withdrawing from the process. You might have less need for dealer interaction if buying a used Exige.

I looked at McLarens and GT3’s last year when I was considering my toy car but couldn’t get Porsche to sell be a GT3 and second hand prices were going up daily. I got scared by running costs on the McLaren so ended up with an Emira deposit.

Big update from Lotus due tomorrow in case you did not know with a new website configuration and a few Lotus fans were invited to Hethel last week and got lots of updates as well as a chance to complain in person to the MD and senior folks.

If I was considering a McLaren, I'd be getting very active with real owners on FB groups etc. One thing that would worry me is spare parts availability. Unless you can afford to have more than one 'fun' car, your main priority is that the one car you have has to be 'available'. Having a Euro trip planned then cancelled because you're waiting two months on a critical part sure takes the sheen of any car no matter how well it drives.

I'd also be chatting to the McLaren Indies too. They are one of the best leads for used cars too....especially ones that don't have an official used car sales arm and are doing it word of mouth to help out their customers. :) :)

Thanks, yes will have a ring round of the independents and go and have a go in one too. I did go and have a look some Porsche's at the dealer in Wilmslow a while back, but i turned up on my bicycle and and was roundly ignored ;)

I looked at McLarens and GT3’s last year when I was considering my toy car but couldn’t get Porsche to sell be a GT3 and second hand prices were going up daily. I got scared by running costs on the McLaren so ended up with an Emira deposit.

Big update from Lotus due tomorrow in case you did not know with a new website configuration and a few Lotus fans were invited to Hethel last week and got lots of updates as well as a chance to complain in person to the MD and senior folks.

Whats happening at Lotus tomorrow are the they launching a new car? an SUV?
The Murray T33 is also due to be revealed at the end of this week too!

Thanks, yes will have a ring round of the independents and go and have a go in one too. I did go and have a look some Porsche's at the dealer in Wilmslow a while back, but i turned up on my bicycle and and was roundly ignored ;)

They were my dealer when I had my Porsche, they were crap frankly. You've not missed out, put it that way :D

I did go and have a look some Porsche's at the dealer in Wilmslow a while back, but i turned up on my bicycle and and was roundly ignored

I was in ours in shorts and t-shirt last week, i would be very surprised if any dealer operated like that.... Last i encountered was BMW who told me i couldn't afford their Z4. The rudest was Volvo - i had an appointment, the sales exec was as uninterested as possible in selling me a car, was rude and did none of the followup i asked for......

our local OPC certainly doesn't operate like that. It is pretty much impossible to enter without stopping at the reception desk first. All you need to say is "i'd like to talk to someone about a car" - or "do you mind if i wander and look at your cars" if you do the former, they'll get some who is free to talk to you....if you do the latter, the sales execs wont approach you. I would go back to the desk and ask if i could talk to someone

A franchised main dealer will offer you the best deal, especially if it's the end of the sales quarter / year. However, the way most are set up now where you have to go through greeter / salesperson (testdrive) / finance (finance quote package) / business manager (negotiate deal)/ general manager ("how was the sales experience, sir?") just grips my s**t and I walk out usually feeling quite depressed, and that's before you factor in the disinterest and, basically, f**king lies peddled by some dealers. I'm not going to name names, but the worst offender IME is one of the biggest groups in the country.

This is all IME, obviously, but I've been around hundreds of dealers (it tends to go with the turf if swapping cars every 18 months) in my car-buying history. If you have found a good main dealer or can cope with the whole sharp blue suit, pointy-shoe, lotus biscuit sausage machine of a main dealer to get the best deal, go for it.

I've found family businesses to be the best to deal with, you deal with one person and they look after you as they tend to want to keep your business. Most main dealers care not one jot about your loyalty, it's just about the sales figures.

A franchised main dealer will offer you the best deal, especially if it's the end of the sales quarter / year. However, the way most are set up now where you have to go through greeter / salesperson (testdrive) / finance (finance quote package) / business manager (negotiate deal)/ general manager ("how was the sales experience, sir?") just grips my s**t and I walk out usually feeling quite depressed, and that's before you factor in the disinterest and, basically, f**king lies peddled by some dealers. I'm not going to name names, but the worst offender IME is one of the biggest groups in the country.

This is all IME, obviously, but I've been around hundreds of dealers (it tends to go with the turf if swapping cars every 18 months) in my car-buying history. If you have found a good main dealer or can cope with the whole sharp blue suit, pointy-shoe, lotus biscuit sausage machine of a main dealer to get the best deal, go for it.

I've found family businesses to be the best to deal with, you deal with one person and they look after you as they tend to want to keep your business. Most main dealers care not one jot about your loyalty, it's just about the sales figures.

I always try to buy privately if possible for this exact reason :rolleyes:

sorry this is a gross generalisation. It will vary massively from group to group and brand to brand.

My OPC, I have only dealt with a single person for the complete purchase. Finding the vehicle, organising the test drive, doing the finance paperwork, including valuing the vehicle I am handing back, the eventual collection all one person.

I do have to go via the receptionist. The only other person I have met is the service manager.

I have had the same sales exec for the purchase of 4 of my 5 Porsches, and the same service manager for my last 3 cars. When I went to test the 992 last week, I was sitting in their lounge when the service manager popped by to say hello, he remembered me by name.....This particular main dealer wants to establish and maintain a relationship with you. Oh and they regularly send me interesting branded trinkets in the post. Last was a few weeks ago, a nice and useful notebook.

Yet the family run Volvo dealership was rubbish, rude, unresponsive....just not interested.

The Murray T33 is also due to be revealed at the end of this week too!

More info about Emira ordering process is due tomorrow. They’ve been quick to take cash but slow on communication so far.

sorry this is a gross generalisation. It will vary massively from group to group and brand to brand.

That's why I caveated it with IME. :)

My OPC, I have only dealt with a single person for the complete purchase. Finding the vehicle, organising the test drive, doing the finance paperwork, including valuing the vehicle I am handing back, the eventual collection all one person.

I do have to go via the receptionist. The only other person I have met is the service manager.

Again, IME, when I have dealt with a Porsche dealer, all three have been excellent: Leicester, Silverstone, Reading.

I have had the same sales exec for the purchase of 4 of my 5 Porsches, and the same service manager for my last 3 cars. When I went to test the 992 last week, I was sitting in their lounge when the service manager popped by to say hello, he remembered me by name.....This particular main dealer wants to establish and maintain a relationship with you. Oh and they regularly send me interesting branded trinkets in the post. Last was a few weeks ago, a nice and useful notebook.

If I had a main dealer who offered me that level of service, I would stick with them but as I deal in slightly less exotic metal (Audi, BMW, MB, Volvo), that sort of service ain't there. I suspect as you're dealing with a Porsche GB site and not a group per se, that accounts for better service (Reading, also Porsche GB, were very good, as stated above).

I had a better experience with buying my current £4k 325d that I did with all of the visits to franchised dealers at the end of '21.

Upgrade your hifi. It will be cheaper, you’ll use it more and it won’t kill you.

I appreciate your concern Colin for me dying in a flaming fireball, however, them speakers you have? They are actually Daleks! You're going to be in trouble when they're activated remotely by our "*European overlords", (unless youv've got stairs, in which case, your safe!)

*© EV

It’s a funny ol thing. I’ve known quite a few people with very fast cars over the years. None of them have died in a crash in a fast car, or even been badly injured.

It’s a funny ol thing. I’ve known quite a few people with very fast cars over the years. None of them have died in a crash in a fast car, or even been badly injured.

Same for motorbikes, those with no experience of motorcycles would always say how dangerous they are, i''d always remind them that an average of 6 people drown in their cars in the UK every year, none drowned on a motorcycle.

There will be an SUV in due course but tomorrow their Emira saga gets an update, new website configurator and more info about the cars hopefully, especially us waiting to be able to order the i4 variant. Still don't know if it will deliver this year or next currently, a little frustrating as brumjam said but still hopeful. Worth hanging on as early cars will probably sell for a premium for a while as supply lags demand.

advertisement

Back