advertisement

Anybody compared Vitus SIA-025 mk2 to Naim and Sonneteer Orton?

Thanks, Cyclopse. Surely class A runs rather warm at least. Mind you, I don't know which pre-power you had previously, but my E.A.R.s don't burn as much juice as many other valved jobbies. I believe your spaekers (esp. Heko?) are fairy efficient although I can well believe the SIA's 25 watts is very conservative in practical terms; whether it'd mate with ESLs is another matter. The Martin Logan hybrids are an even more difficult scenario, I'm led to believe.

Don't follow this. Switch manually or switch automatically in A/B mode (????). If class A is where it's at (and by repute it is), I can't see why one would want another format.

The heat sinks just get warm, you can still touch them after several hours. The Nagra VPAs I had previously had four 845s, the heat in summer was incredible. I believe Vitus used Sonus Faber Extrema during R & D.

On the remote you can switch between A or A/B. The power output in A/B increases to 150 watts per channel.

Actually my amp has DSP/full room correction, bass management and a 2.2 option for dual sub via a digital low pass filter with time delay - none of which I've actually used to date. http://en.audionet.de/machines/dna/
Can't argue with the quality of the Audionet equipment. I think the issue for uk enthusiasts is access to hear the german stuff over here in the uk.
I think there are very few dealers in UK that stock German electronics. I guess the UK market is set up for UK brands, which is understandable.

The Nagra VPAs I had previously had four 845s,

I know these only by repute, and I feel that they were more 'valvey' than my E.A.R.s so I wonder what changes you noticed into the same speakers and source kit (presumably) Not sure you mentioned your speakers (sorry if you did). I've not had experience of class A amplification.

On a further note, with such a disparity between power outputs from A to AB, what differences are noticeable between the two apart from (I imagine) a more organic and involving presentation from class A?

I know these only by repute, and I feel that they were more 'valvey' than my E.A.R.s so I wonder what changes you noticed into the same speakers and source kit (presumably) Not sure you mentioned your speakers (sorry if you did). I've not had experience of class A amplification.

On a further note, with such a disparity between power outputs from A to AB, what differences are noticeable between the two apart from (I imagine) a more organic and involving presentation from class A?

I was using Raidho C1.1 at the point of change over to Vitus. Prior to this it was a Modwright LS36.5 pre into the Nagra VPA. I noticed a reduction in stage width, (I was using upgraded 845s in the VPAs, WE replicas) and some reduction in bass extension.

Class A and AB are very close in their presentation. Easy way to explain is in this review on page 3;-

http://www.kogaudio.com/pdf/SIA025TAS.pdf

Regards

Cyclopse

Easy way to explain is in this review on page 3;-

Many thanks for that informative link. Somewhere recently I read that the AB rating on the SIA was 300 watts, which I found to be an incredible discrepancy. Glad to see it's 100 watts !:) Bit concerned about your losing a bit of stage width with the Vitus (both class A and AB?) but valved amps are quite good at that, as I have found (at least, compared to upper Naim).

When you switch from class A/B mode To class A you still have the AB available in the background to top things up. The volume doesn’t change between modes and it will play loud enough for most in either mode.

Thanks, Knipester. All info. of the SIA here and elsewhere have all been referred to moving coil speakers. Whereas I can't see a reason why the SIA shouldn't be synergistic with ESLs, not every amp suits every speaker and, of course, ESLs have their own set of demands. If compatible, I'd imagine that the marginally warmish presentation of the SIA (and Vitus generally?) would suit the uncoloured nature of electrostatics.

MA make really good speakers, the Studio 2se's (in piano red) were my first every decent speaker 25+ years ago!. Just never a fan of the look/finish of the PL's

Just swapping out my naim 500dr and 552 for the vitus sia025, much better in just about all areas, plus no more crap with 6 cables to try and sort, and all the worry they can bring, just one box against four, quite, no humming and no noise (hiss) from the speakers.
But class A is just lush and should have done something like this years ago

Yep mk2 and x demo, so loads cheaper than list.
Going to be using my pmc fact 12's

Anyone know the difference between the mk2 and mk2 as very little on them, or I am looking in the wrong place

Having done the same thing, naim to vitus, and a good friend has too after the recommendation, maybe a few things to consider.

Both of us had our vitus amps brick and go dc, either costing thousands to repair, for myself, or being sold as a very expensive brick for my mate. So ensure buying one with some warranty

In the end I sold the vitus after repair and upgrade to ri-101, and the Avalon’s too. The combo was significantly bettered by d&d actives for less money

advertisement

Back