advertisement

Anybody compared Vitus SIA-025 mk2 to Naim and Sonneteer Orton?

The Vitus/Naim thread is a classic example of people demonstrating closed-mindedness - there are a number of people who apparently cannot fathom that something other than Naim might be preferred.

Could not agree more with you Bob. I have not looked at the Naim forum for 3 or 4 years simply because of that.

I went from a Naim nap300/nac252/supercap dr to a vitus ri100 then to a vitus sia-025.

the ri100 is superb and does lots of what the sia did. The current delivery of vitus gear really opens up speaker choice. The sia was just that bit more visceral sounding. I actually owned both at the same time for a period so had chance to a/b test them.

What made you sell them?

I have a Naim system and last year was interested in replacing a NDS with a ND555. However, before pulling the trigger I thought it would be worth having a listen to some alternatives with a view to possibly going in a different direction.
Anyway, I spent a pleasant afternoon at a high end dealers listening to a full Linn Klimax set -up together with some examples of alternatives that the dealer recommended including a Vitus sia-025 and YG Acoustic Carmel 2 speakers. Front end was a Linn Klimax DS3 and Linn Klimax LP12 for vinyl.
Technically the full Linn system was superb but for me it sounded like a holographic interpretation of the music, a bit too artificial sounding to my ears.
The insertion of the Vitus amp was interesting, very smooth almost creamy sounding, no harshness or lack of detail, very unfatiguing, the sort of sound that you could listen to for hours.
However, it was if it had been tailored for vocals, there was a mid range emphasis and the bass seemed to be rolled off. Also, instruments such as violins that do have a distinct rasp were smoothed out so sounded less convincing. I don’t think the amp would suit those interested in a more visceral rock sound or full orchestral music.
So in conclusion, I found the Vitus very good in parts but suiting some genres of music such as vocals rather than others and by no means a complete solution. But can understand why many would prefer this to Naim and vice versa, depending on what strengths are most valued.

Had the Vitus SIA-025 and wasn’t blown away - beautifully put together but no better than many of the other high-end integrated amps I’d had.

Demoed Vitus but it failed to impress me. I would try Naim, which always impress me. If you want to try danish high end, go for GamuT. Tons of power and very fine nuanced sound.

have not looked at the Naim forum for 3 or 4 years simply because of that.

Think my recent trip to the Naim forum was the first in a decade, but despite the to-ings and fro-ings of that thread, I came away with some ideas about Vitus that I didn't have before. Reading some of the above comments which emulate that Naim thread, Vitus stuff, if not a Marmite choice, does seem a bit picky about partnering kit (as are most amps) and favouring certain genres, which latter is a bit unsettling, I feel.

At this level there are many contenders. Each with their own merits. It will, as ever, boil down to your personal preference. There is no right or wrong choice. The problem is, there are so many contenders. Vitus ticked boxes for me where others didn’t. Equally, those others tick the boxes for other people. I am not wrong. They are not wrong. Makes it very difficult to choose!

Okay, as this is a thread about Vitus (v. Naim), with a number of posters here being owners or with listening/other experience, has anybody got a clue about Vitus's compatibility with ESLs; big Quad ESLs to be precise. I ask because I've yet to come across any info or received wisdom about synergy. E.g. the SIA 025 has only 25 watts in theory, and some 'normal' s/s amps with more wattage wouldn't cope (my experience) but being Vitus AND class A (for the SIA), maybe there'd be no problem.

I s'pose there are two angles here; the technical compatibility and the sonic synergy. I have E.A.R. 912 pre. with two 509s with my 2905s; certainly a good marriage, but this combo is not the lush valve presentation in any shape or form. The valved equivalent of s/s ? However, as I'm getting long in the tooth, the idea of a competent integrated does appeal, although the hassle of a separate phono stage with two switchable inputs would be required.

Answers on a pink postcard if you will.

Just following up on my last post. Yes the sia-025 is better, bit more fluid, more immersive sounding once class A is selected.

the ri100 has some of this but when I had them side by side the sia-025 won out.

Price difference.... ri100 Bent steel case, Apple remote, basic power cable, class a/b....sia beautiful solid aluminium milled case, vitus rechargeable remote (£1k!), andromeda power cable (£1300), class ab & a.

just like @Paul Burke Burke ive switched to d&d Actives as I was struggling to find a speaker that worked in my room. I don’t regret it

Vitus stuff, if not a Marmite choice, does seem a bit picky about partnering kit (as are most amps) and favouring certain genres, which latter is a bit unsettling
Que, audionet (again)... this has always been an issue for me. I don't know why anyone would voice a product to suit a genre, or at all even. My current amp plays everything with the same intention, no voice just pure, tonally accurate with a holographic soundscape where intended and a bass depth with real grip control and texture I've never found in any other manufacturer.

Bottom line, all options are a lot of money so rather than those that have owned this stuff telling you their experiences you really need to try the kit for yourself in your room.

alas naim, vitus & audionet don’t deal with the big elephant in the room (my room anyway) and that is room interaction. My Dutch and Dutch 8c’s do and as a result are without doubt the best sounding speakers/amp/pre/sub I’ve ever owned. Worth speaking to Lee @ strictly stereo about getting a demo if you want to hear them in your own setting.

I own the SIA-025 so have first hand experience. Mine has been in place four years now.

I was all valve with a pre and mono block power amps. Moving to one box with SS reliability and no heat issues in Summer made so much sense. It has a richness in tone that brought me back to SS and I don’t regret it. Regarding build how many other manufacturers use an UIA transformer? Look at a picture of the internals and you can see the amp has been built round this transformer. Speakers used have included Raidho C1.1, Heko Direkt and Harbeth P3 Anniversary.

Yes it is 25 watts but with that transformer it doesn’t have any drive issues for me. Pay attention to grounding and chassis isolation and it’s performance is lifted further. I see one dealer has a steady stream of Naim trade in for clients you have moved over to Vitus. I had two Gamut D200s over the years and had technical issues with both of them. I love how you switch into class A (where the magic is) and it’s ready to go every time.

If I can assist further let me know.

My brother had a Vitus R100?, on loan and the AMP1 V2 bettered it in every way, into Estelon speakers.
Interesting point here. I am a fan of the german amplifiers and swopped out my 62, Hicap, 250 for a Restek integrated.
They do offer something different, with a lot of serious current available.

So in conclusion, I found the Vitus very good in parts but suiting some genres of music such as vocals rather than others and by no means a complete solution. But can understand why many would prefer this to Naim and vice versa, depending on what strengths are most valued.
I was going to say something like this John, but you got there first......:rolleyes:

I was all valve with a pre and mono block power amps. Moving to one box with SS reliability and no heat issues in Summer made so much sense. It has a richness in tone that brought me back to SS and I don’t regret it. ... Speakers used have included Raidho C1.1, Heko Direkt and Harbeth P3 Anniversary.

Thanks, Cyclopse. Surely class A runs rather warm at least. Mind you, I don't know which pre-power you had previously, but my E.A.R.s don't burn as much juice as many other valved jobbies. I believe your spaekers (esp. Heko?) are fairy efficient although I can well believe the SIA's 25 watts is very conservative in practical terms; whether it'd mate with ESLs is another matter. The Martin Logan hybrids are an even more difficult scenario, I'm led to believe.
I love how you switch into class A (where the magic is) and it’s ready to go every time.

Don't follow this. Switch manually or switch automatically in A/B mode (????). If class A is where it's at (and by repute it is), I can't see why one would want another format.

advertisement

Back