advertisement

Any Transmission Line fans out there?

As a fan of Cambridge Audio R50s this thread interests me. I don’t write about gear much because I know little about it, and you folks know lots. But I’ve been playing R50s this weekend - hence the post. Sorry if its long but I thought some history relevant.

My dad bought a pair in 1972 so I heard plenty of classical music on them as a kid. He passed them to me mid 80s when I played noisy rock and jazz and I kept them until 1998 when I got a pair of Linn Isobariks, because I found a tidy pair and just fancied them. I have had them ever since.

The R50s went to an old pal of mine and he’s kept them safe and used them only occasionally. In 1996 I lived in Sydenham and a very kind and knowledgeable neighbour helped me fit new crossovers and tweeters. That improved the R50s detail and sweetness (Lawrence, thank you - are you still ‘out there’?).

I suppose I must be one of those ‘flat earth types’ because my system is Linn/Naim/Linn. Be gentle because I don’t know any different. When I owned the R50s my amps were Naim 82/250. With the briks I’ve gradually changed those through to active 52/250s and now have 500 series DR stuff, passive. The briks have given more with each amp change and I still enjoy them - I bet there’s something much better out there but have no idea what. I’ve long wondered how the R50s would sing on the end of a 500 and this thread made me want to find out.

My old pal came to stay this weekend and brought the R50s with him. They’re gorgeous and do many things better than the briks (not difficult I hear you cry) - it was lovely to hear them respond to the extra delicacy and grip of the 552/500.

Very natural, warm but authoritative, big open soundstage, great detail, especially true with voices and orchestral instruments, and good imaging. And the deep bass I remembered so well - not as fast or as much slam as the briks, but deeper and more beguiling. Really easy to place in a room they’d not been in before, very forgiving of a quick set up.

I could live with them permanently again very happily and was sad to see them go. But they’re in a good home.

So, I’m a fan of transmission line speakers. Thank you for this thread as a spur for me to hear them again.

I do wonder how more modern transmission line speakers like PMC Fact 12s sound (I believe they are TL) in comparison to older spec R50s - anyone know the answer?
I've given advice on upgrading R50s with the Falcon higher power crossover kits in the past but not physically helped anyone so not sure if you mean me?

I’ve noticed a pair of P. Atkinson transmission line speakers on Gumtree.
They are approx. Spendor BC1 size, with rather nice cabinets.
B110 bass/mids and Isophon KK8 tweeters.
Do any PFM members recall them ?
Local to me.
I’m tempted to check them out.
I'm watching them but haven't got the space, interested to find out how they sound though. Only pair I've ever seen.

Bought them and they are very good indeed.
I have started a new thread on Classic, entitled ‘Atkinson compact transmission line speakers.’

Over the years I've built about 3 pairs of TLs, inspired by the IPL kit projects. Two 2-way and one 3-way. For me the hardest part, and the most time-consuming over long periods, was fine-tuning the crossovers. But on the whole very happy with them, especially the very extended and very natural bass that gently fills the room without sounding "boomy."

Hi folks

First post on here.

I’m a real fan of older transmission line speakers. Got a small collection now.
BIG 1970’s Atkinson SOTAs that have the crossovers professionally recapped & all internal wiring replaced with 79strand. They are huge and amazing! Incredibly efficient. You can barely touch the volume control.
6 drivers per cabinet.
All star driver line up KEF B139 mk2 & B110 Celestion/Coles tweeters.
bass is phenomenal!
These could fill a decent sized hall.

Currently taking a back seat to a pair of B&W DM2s. Not at all what you’d think a 70s speaker would sound like. Fast, punchy. Accurate.
Studio monitor.

My other keepers are a pair of early 90s TDL Studio 1s. Same guy from IMF designed them, before Richer Sounds bought the name.
The Studio range are completely different from the RTL range. True transmission line. Different drivers. Really special I think.
I’m on the look out for the Larger models in the TDL Studio range if anyone has any going spare?
Im. a big fan from Holland, have them to Atkinson State of the Art with 5 drivers do Piano White with the leaf tweeters..and of course B139

advertisement

Back