advertisement

Any Transmission Line fans out there?

Falcon acoustics R50 speakers excellent condition...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25490419...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Other pics available with the grills attached, not mine, just a pair of TLs I am watching on epray.

I do have a nice pair of Cambridge R50s in their original cartons and a pair of Cambridge R40s. :)

Not for sale at this time.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Why are the mid, tweeter and super-tweeter so far apart. Combing and integration will be poor
I've noticed this in quite a few vintage designs. Were speaker manufacturers less aware of the importance of this back then, or did they simply assume listeners had big rooms and would be sitting several meters away from their speakers? IMF appeared to be aware of it, to the extent that the driver faceplates were almost overlapping in some examples!
attachment.php

I've noticed this in quite a few vintage designs. Were speaker manufacturers less aware of the importance of this back then
There was less awareness and this was before cheap computer measurement. KEF were unusual in those old days in test capability

I have a DIY replica of a VAF SW19 subwoofer, only a 10" driver, the cabinet is 4ft tall and the TL is 13ft in length.
Works quite well.

I’ve noticed a pair of P. Atkinson transmission line speakers on Gumtree.
They are approx. Spendor BC1 size, with rather nice cabinets.
B110 bass/mids and Isophon KK8 tweeters.
Do any PFM members recall them ?
Local to me.
I’m tempted to check them out.

Had a pair of IMF ALS 40s way back when. Technically not transmission line, I think ALS stood for "Active Line System".

The bass was phenomenal for the size of the cabinets.

I’ve noticed a pair of P. Atkinson transmission line speakers on Gumtree.
They are approx. Spendor BC1 size, with rather nice cabinets.
B110 bass/mids and Isophon KK8 tweeters.
Do any PFM members recall them ?
Local to me.
I’m tempted to check them out.

You sent some 6 1/2" drive units that you thought may be Dalesford (but proved not to be), but were still good, to my friend in Sheffield, who is keen on speakers, you may remember him. He hates the Isophon KK8. I have no experience of them.

I've noticed this in quite a few vintage designs. Were speaker manufacturers less aware of the importance of this back then, or did they simply assume listeners had big rooms and would be sitting several meters away from their speakers? IMF appeared to be aware of it, to the extent that the driver faceplates were almost overlapping in some examples!
attachment.php

That looks like KEFB200, EMI 5" doped paper cone, KEF T15 and Coles 4001

That looks like KEFB200, EMI 5" doped paper cone, KEF T15 and Coles 4001
Yes, no, yes and yes. I can't recall the size of the doped mid-driver but it's definitely not as big as a 5-inch B110, it's probably 4-inches. It has an inverted roll surround that looks wrinkly in many installations but the one in the photo below looks as new. I'm not exactly sure of the brand but I know IMF used Peerless and Elac in some of their models so likely one of those two. The example in the above image looks particularly messy, this is what they more typically look like:

s-l1600.jpg

6bgi7s67cqie.jpg

I can't think of another user of this drive unit other than EMI in their 250 (from memory) system. This was the 4" driver with a paper coned tweeter, cabinet was about LS3/5a size. The unit was coated by IMF, the unit as supplied by EMI was uncoated. My friend was the sales manager for EMI speakers.

There was another version of the paper coned EMI 4". It was for midrange only, so had a sealed chassis, it didn't need a separate enclosure to isolate it from the bass unit, the paper cone profile was a bit steeper, still uncoated, did not sound that nice. Was used as a mid in some of the larger EMI systems with 14" x9" bass unit.

Early 70s SMC AL20(?) two way TL design KEF T27 + KEF B200. Currently not in use. Very pleasing sound but lacking in power handling (25W iirc)
IMF TLS50s attached to TV - not bad for general use - GF owns these.
TDL studio 2s - poor speakers IMO - terrible power compression. They loved Led Zeppelin for some reason - but nothing else. Sold.
IPL S5tls - I loved these. Monster sound + dirt cheap (bought [badly] pre built). Sold these with the intention of buying a kit and making it up myself but then spotted locally some...
PMC AB1s which ended up growing on me - I forgot about the big IPLs (although I would still like to try a properly built pair) and ended up buying another set of AB1s for a second system.

Both pairs of AB1s are connected to Hypex nCore400s fed from ODACs attached to Linux pcs running MPD.

With TL you can't hear the boxes. The only other system I like listening to is my mate's ESL 57s powered by whatever ancient valve amp design he is currently tinkering with.

No power transistors - and no box problems in either system.

Love my S5TL’s. Found a solid pair that were poor cosmetically. Friend of mine reveneered them for me-

7Wsi3ai.jpg

Hi folks

First post on here.

I’m a real fan of older transmission line speakers. Got a small collection now.
BIG 1970’s Atkinson SOTAs that have the crossovers professionally recapped & all internal wiring replaced with 79strand. They are huge and amazing! Incredibly efficient. You can barely touch the volume control.
6 drivers per cabinet.
All star driver line up KEF B139 mk2 & B110 Celestion/Coles tweeters.
bass is phenomenal!
These could fill a decent sized hall.

Currently taking a back seat to a pair of B&W DM2s. Not at all what you’d think a 70s speaker would sound like. Fast, punchy. Accurate.
Studio monitor.

My other keepers are a pair of early 90s TDL Studio 1s. Same guy from IMF designed them, before Richer Sounds bought the name.
The Studio range are completely different from the RTL range. True transmission line. Different drivers. Really special I think.
I’m on the look out for the Larger models in the TDL Studio range if anyone has any going spare?
I had the Studio 3s, great speakers with Elac metal dome tweeters. They don't need a huge room. I've also owned IMF TLS80s, R50s (but DIY from the Bert Webb article rather than Cambridge) and the Wilmslow Audio design which is similar to the Studios. The TLS80s were probably my favourite but they also took up the most room! Oh and 3 pairs of DM2s which were 1/8 line rather than 1/4 but still sounded lovely. Probably one or two others I can't recall right now.

No, the T-Line 3 was a rare series just before the death of the owner. After his death more conventional speakers came out just using the TDL name.
I notice a different tweeter and port shape, a very similar cabinet
They were made the same time as the RTLs but true TL I think. The last gen of decent TDLs.

Ran TDL Studio 1's for years. On their proper bases too. Much enjoyment, I love the way they do what they do. Only possibly mistake I made was buying them in black ash - which was dead trendy at the time but I would choose differently now.

Sold them after I got my (sealed!) Gale 401s restored, professionally. We (I) am not a two system household, so the Studio 1's 'had' to go.
Lucky to have the proper bases only a few seem to have them fitted, I presume they were a optional extra that most didn't bother with, maxing out on the speaker with the budget instead. I would have done that when younger but not now I know what I do.

advertisement

Back