advertisement

any super cheap Roon remotes/tablets?

jamesd

pfm Member
i'm on a Roon trial and am wondering if there are any very inexpensive tablets that smoothly operate as a Roon remote. I don't need a tablet and don't want to commit to Roon yet. A cheap tablet could go to my kid if I don't stick with it.

If an Amazon Fire will work then £30 gets you one. If it doesn't, you have a very good tablet for everyday use. I have 2 and just leave them lying about the house. I also travel with one, at £30 they are amazing.

If an Amazon Fire will work then £30 gets you one. If it doesn't, you have a very good tablet for everyday use. I have 2 and just leave them lying about the house. I also travel with one, at £30 they are amazing.

£30. Where?

£30. Where?
They were £30 on Black Friday, that's all I paid for my 2, last year and the one before. January sales £30, I bet. I think they are £35 now.

Edit - they seem to have gone up to £50. I'm sure they were £35 everywhere over the summer.

I have the exact same issue - my old ipad in the man cave is too old to run roon remote. Thought about a Android tablet - did not want to spend any money - then realised I could, in theory, use my laptop ( a decent spec Asus Zenbook).

So far have failed! Remote is on the PC laptop. Connects to the mac mini core just fine, but i am scratching my head cos I cannot get any music to play to the DAC connected to the Mini. Will play back to the laptop - so why not get the DAC going? It is beginning to do my head in.

I have the exact same issue - my old ipad in the man cave is too old to run roon remote. Thought about a Android tablet - did not want to spend any money - then realised I could, in theory, use my laptop ( a decent spec Asus Zenbook).

So far have failed! Remote is on the PC laptop. Connects to the mac mini core just fine, but i am scratching my head cos I cannot get any music to play to the DAC connected to the Mini. Will play back to the laptop - so why not get the DAC going? It is beginning to do my head in.

How is the mini connected to the DAC? Usb or optical?

If optical - do you have optical output selected on the Mac mini in sound preferences?

Also In midi preferences, make sure the toslink isn’t set as in input and that it’s on 44100 and 2channel output too.

DAC is USB and works fine if I use the core directly (the TV is connected via HDMI and there is a wired mouse and wireless keyboard)

Just the remote sees the library, allows you to select the DAC, is not in a private zone). Then you choose an album, hit play and nothing happens. Note the cursor does not move along the song either so the core is not actually 'playing' anything -hence no sound.

The route map reported on the remote seems to show everything is fine - FLAC 16/44 - Mac Mini - DAC

advertisement

Back