advertisement

Any suggestions for a bright, treble enhancing cartridge?

An AT 740 ML has a nicely lit treble, with the bonus of not losing it at the end of the side - ie the last track of the record side. Think MC quality here.
I use it with no loading cap at all. The cable capacitance is just right (about 50 pF).

As others mentioned, why not try (on loan, e.g.) an amp with tone controls or a DSP? Trying to compensate for hearing loss by picking bright speakers, cartridge, etc. seems odd to me. I'd prefer the components to be accurate and neutral. Then have a single device that is designed to exactly this job, and has flexibility (eq, tone controls, DSP).

AT mcs would fit the bill, I was going to say the ART-9 but I havent yet tried mine yet but the oc9s and 33ptg II have the character the OP is seeking

AT OC9 is lively, detailed, sometimes too bright in a mismatched system - but sounds like it might be perfect in yours!

Yes, I was wondering whether the OP's VTA might be up the creek a bit?

Suggested in my post 13. I'd look to the cart. set-up before coming to any other conclusions. VTA is just so easy to visually judge; if the arm is down at the back, you'll get a dull sound. Too much up at the back and it'll strip paint. Some cart's do have slight preferences, but generally one should aim for an absolutely horizontal VTA when stylus is in the groove, then tweak from there to taste. Surely every arm can e adjusted for VTA?

advertisement

Back