advertisement

Any recommended active standmounts under £2000?

albireo

pfm Member
I fancy trying some good active speakers for enjoying music - not for studio work. I guess this rules out near-field and mid-field monitors.

Are there any brands/models standing out in the £800-2000 bracket (pair)? Source would be FLAC music and an analog signal from turntable + phono preamp, both via a Benchmark DAC.

APS are monitors, the Klasik and the Aeon, both of them are damned fine speakers and although "accurate" do not have that scalding tone many of their ilk do. They also have interesting EQ settings that actually work.

There are some slightly battered looking atc scm20 asl on eBay atm.

The focal twin be are supposed to be very good.

I've got a set of mackie hr824. They work and sound alright as hifi speakers but not super resolving. Some, I'm think adam a7x etc have a reputation for being a bit harsh and quite unflattering so that if you can make a mix sound good on them it should translate well elsewhere. . Biggest concern I have with them is child freindliness. They have no grills and they are super heavy, which is generally the case for active pro speakers. Also you need power nearby each speaker. One advantage though is tgey often have controls over bass rolloff to help with room positioning.

If you are open to secondhand then it would be hard to beat ADAM Tensor Deltas

post-104724-0-14240400-1454462833.jpg

Adam Compact Classic actives - well within budget (used) and great sounding. I couldn't ask more of mine, apart maybe from a slightly prettier front baffle ;)

I'd recommend going to a pro dealer and getting a listen to the Dynaudio LYD48.

It represents real value for money with exceptional drive units IME. I would compare them to ATC 50's and then look at the price differential.

Thank you all - some really interesting recommendations so far - although I should have said - my SO will never allow me to put some of those sleek looking studio-grade beasts in our living room. I guess this rules out most ideas apart from the Focals, which look decidedly living room friendly.

Any other good sounding domestically acceptable actives in the price bracket? Do I detect a market gap there for good mid-range active speakers in wife-friendly wooden cabinets BTW.. Some of those active ATC look majestic, but way out of my budget unfortunately.

Thank you all - some really interesting recommendations so far - although I should have said - my SO will never allow me to put some of those sleek looking studio-grade beasts in our living room. I guess this rules out most ideas apart from the Focals, which look decidedly living room friendly.

Any other good sounding domestically acceptable actives in the price bracket? Do I detect a market gap there for good mid-range active speakers in wife-friendly wooden cabinets BTW.. Some of those active ATC look majestic, but way out of my budget unfortunately.

Yes you're right, there are very little actives that really look particularly nice below £2000 particularly as they made for studio use.

The focal shapes therefore also got my attention when I saw that they had a much nicer appearance than most monitors, and have a lot of technology in too.

The reviews I've seen are excellent apparently the 65 one is amazing.

The APS speakers can be had in pretty much any finish you so choose , costs more however, they are available.

klasik-prod-pic-2@2x.png
Klasik

2639093777_5160a9687d_z.jpg
Aeon

advertisement

Back