advertisement

Any recommendations for good cheap Speaker cable

I used QED 79 strand stuff to good effect, pretty inexpensive - plenty of clones available even cheaper! What lengths do you need? I might have something suitable in my spares box you can have for postage cost + a small donation to PFM/charity. PM me with the lengths you need if you want me to check.

I'm told by a reliable source that the Belkin stuff on e..y at £20 for 3.7 metres is really good.

Maplins 79 strand is as good as any, Mark. Seriously.

Chris

Yes it is.

The code is XR72P. It's gone up, used to be less than a pound a metre, now £1.54. Don't waste time and money on anything else, this stuff was the subject of prolonged testing and discussion 5 or 6 years ago and it was, as Chris reports, as good as anything else on the market.

Agreed, it is much the same thing as the QED - I'd be amazed if anyone could tell the difference!

Cheers for all the suggestions guys.

Got a Maplins on the way home so may swing by there on the way.

Thanks again

Mark

They do, I have some of the Tower brand one, but it seems to oxidise very quickly and isn't that much cheaper than the Maplins one which has no such issue!

Another vote for QED 79, or failing that a bit of lighting flex, 2 core, for light fittings and table lamps etc is OK. I've used both of these, they workwell. I've heard good reports of computer CAT5 cable too, the trick is to use the 4 stripy cores all together for -ve and the 4 plain ones for +ve. Alternatively use the entire bundle and run 2 lengths in parallel. Must get round to trying this one day.

Does the UD-31 have the little bell wire clip connectors like the UD-30? If so I think 79 strand (like QED 79) may be way too thick to work. 49 strand max I would have thought, if not bell wire :eek:

A simple bit of CA's 100 sttrand stuff for a quid a metre?

Works for me. Decent diameter, clean enough and almost free.

if you can be patient from time to time Lidl sell speaker wire on a roll far cheaper than the equivalent at Maplin which runs at 2.45 / m

I bought this stuff to get me by as I needed 30m and didn't want to speculate on something more expensive in the short term until I can go through a 'proper' speaker cable test: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190511641164

It works quite well! Good bass, good integration, lacks treble extension, detail and image depth compared to my PHY, but at the price who can complain?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Another vote for 79 strand. As good as it gets. I've also found that 20 amp car wiring cable, the sort of thing headlights are wired with, works well. A reel of black and reel of red, twisted together using a hand drill.

S.

Another vote for 79 strand. As good as it gets. I've also found that 20 amp car wiring cable, the sort of thing headlights are wired with, works well. A reel of black and reel of red, twisted together using a hand drill.

S.

And something to cover it with..:D

advertisement

Back