advertisement

Any PC monitor fixing experts here?

Wolfmancatsup

Empire State Human
Hi all - I’ve had this monitor - a Samsung SyncMaster 245B - for fourteen years, and it’s been mostly fine until yesterday, when the screen went very faint. I’ve looked online but can’t find any fault like this.
Some years ago I fixed a PSU issue by replacing a resistor, after finding a helpful YouTube video, so I’m not scared of opening it up and playing, but with this problem I can’t even find a starting point.
The screen is actually fainter than the photo makes it seem. I’ve checked monitor settings and they’re all ok. Problem shows itself on both DVI and VGA inputs, and is still there when nothing is connected.
Any thoughts? It’s not an issue if I have to buy another (although I’m unlikely to find one in this nice screen ratio - 16:10) as I feel I’ve had my money’s worth on this one, but it’d be nice to have a go at fixing it.
(The interference lines are only on the photo, not on the monitor screen itself).

38-CF04-DB-477-A-4-A10-8-F6-E-E09-E0-F343511.jpg

Mick

Check for bulging and leaking caps in the psu.

Pete
Good thinking. I will be taking it apart later to see if there's anything untoward. I'll check the dodgy three resistors too (they're often to blame for PSU problems, although when one of those goes open circuit there's usually no picture at all) so I'll have a look at the caps too - cheers.

Mick

Sadly no joy. The three resistors that most often go open curcuit are fine, and all the many capacitors in the power supply look like they were fitted yesterday. No leakage or bulges at all. I could desolder the lot and replace them, but I’m not sure I have the patience - certainly I don’t have any caps at all so I’d have to make up a shopping list.
Hmm…

Mick

Unplug everything and replug it to clean the contacts, how is it connected to the computer? VGA display port dvi? Can you connect it a different way?

Pete

Unplug everything and replug it to clean the contacts, how is it connected to the computer? VGA display port dvi? Can you connect it a different way?

Pete
Already done all that - it only has DVI & VGA, and each is bad. When I took it apart earlier I replugged all the internal connectors too.
Even with no signal cables attached at all it still has that faint, greyish look.

Mick

Already done all that - it only has DVI & VGA, and each is bad. When I took it apart earlier I replugged all the internal connectors too.
Even with no signal cables attached at all it still has that faint, greyish look.

Mick
Is the menu dim as well?

Pete

Years ago I had a monitor that had an odd problem and when I rang the manufacturer they said it was corrupted eeprom and replaced it FOC.

advertisement

Back