advertisement

Any model makers here? This is a nice little add on.

Thanks for that. Anyway as I said it’s a fine piece of work.

Double-slip point next...? ;)

They do a kit but I don't need one

finetrax-doubleslip-1in6-2T.jpg

You have got a really good leather effect on those seats. Very well done. Was the tread plate on the floor part of the kit or a detail you've added?

Cheers Kenny...the seats were the first things I made...way out of schedule but I wanted to test some paints, so I spent ages on them. The rest of the weathering will be done very soon before the bodywork goes on. The tread plate was part of the kit...I used three different metal paints on it to raise a shine on the grid top, but it is one of the crispest bits of Hornby detail in the kit...which brings up a question. Any of you modelling chaps know how to repair chrome coating? Cutting the 'chromed' parts from the sprue always reveals a small patch of the underlying grey plastic and I have not found a way to re-chrome this well....Humbrol chrome effect enamel paint doesn't come close. Any ideas?

And whilst I'm on Humbrol paints....
Grrrrrr
The last pic above shows 2 areas of BRG paint. The bonnet section has had a coat of grey primer and FIVE coats of said enamel (so far) and in desperation I decided, at the rear of the tread plate, to try 1 coat of green acrylic (Tamiya, but not BRG) to kill the grey and then the enamel...just the 3 coats so far. I sent one tin back with a complaint that it's like water, but just got told that that's how it is. NEXT time it'll be acrylic paints and a top coat or 3 of varnish.

Brilliant. I agree about the Humbrol chrome enamel. Never had any luck with it at all, just like water to be fair.

The answer is easy though. Go on to Ebay and buy a Uni paint marker fine tip. It is a true chrome like finish and proper paint. It is just like a very fine tip pen. You need to shake it as per you do with a spray.

It'll hide the damage you mention with ease. One of my favorite items now in the modelling kit. Just let me know when you find it and I can confirm it's the right one. If you are not sure I'll send you the link from where I got mine from.

Brilliant. I agree about the Humbrol chrome enamel. Never had any luck with it at all, just like water to be fair.

The answer is easy though. Go on to Ebay and buy a Uni paint marker fine tip. It is a true chrome like finish and proper paint. It is just like a very fine tip pen. You need to shake it as per you do with a spray.

It'll hide the damage you mention with ease. One of my favorite items now in the modelling kit. Just let me know when you find it and I can confirm it's the right one. If you are not sure I'll send you the link from where I got mine from.
Brilliant! I'll check...hang on ;)

Just rooted it out now and done a small experiment for you to see how it works.

Here is an old tatty Corgi Sunbeam Imp I will restore if the lock down continues.

It's rear bumper as you can see in first pic is chipped.
I did one little pass with the Uni pen for pic 2........no prep and literally a 2 second pass of the pen.

It'd be passable now but it can get a lot better when I do it for real. The pen is in the pic too.

IMG_7443.jpg

IMG_7445.jpg

Hello all,

Very interesting to read the above, that Bentley is amazing, had no idea that such kits were available, very well done indeed.

I used to take a 12ft 0 Gauge model railway layout to shows, it was on two boards, I'm an independent modeller and after dodging up and down it for a day and then driving sometimes 100 miles there and back I was tired.

Having looked for ages at Carl Arendt's site https://www.carendt.com/ I decided to make an 0 Gauge micro layout, 55" x 18" taking up Carl's challenge for a working layout in max 4 sq ft.

I looked at the Inglenook idea, I like shunting but thought it too boring for me.

01-drawing.jpg

This was what I came up with after a few weeks doodling, similar but with a 3 road traverser and a two road loco release. This made things quite complex and saved about 4 points and a crossover.

This is an aerial view

01-Moxley-Aerial.jpg

Track made from 00 gauge rail glued to card sleepers, point made on copperclad strips and the low relief buildings from photographs taken in Sheffield.

Cheers - J

He's made that plenum chamber look just like real cast ali the he's painted it and the nuts look real.

It's flippin astonishing how hours fly when I'm 1/2' from the glue pot ;)
Seriously, however, I can spend 2 hours just trimming and opainting one bit and never know it's gone. Thank the Lord for a wife who loves gardening and sunshine for her to practice in :)

I've just spent an hour and a half with an old N-gauge Scalescenes design I downloaded 15 odd years ago. It's safe to say my eyes aren't what they were, but the varifocals hepled. It's a surprisingly peaceful activity. https://scalescenes.com/railscenes/

Printing onto A4 labels really speeds things up.

Scale scenes are brilliant and John Wiffen (the owner/designer) is really helpful with custom stuff as well.

advertisement

Back