advertisement

Any model makers here? This is a nice little add on.

Thanks Dik, some good suggestions. That AS186 looks huge when you first click on it - I thought it could do my boat! I think the Bambi would be way out of my league.

Hope it helps=)
If you search youtube there's a lot of video reviews to give you an idea of its size. It is surprising how much air you can get through even using a modellers airbrush. You definitely want a compressor that has a reservoir tank and a decent regulator and water trap to get a nice smooth controllable airflow with no spitting or pulsing.

I know I'm late to the party but that's amazing. Do you have an engineering background? How did you get to this level?

Hiya Roman and many thanks for that, really appreciated. Yes I am an engineer but that particular ride in itself made me want to build it.

As a kid with Mum and Dad we used to go to the Isle of Wight stopping over at Southsea for the ferry many years ago, where we visited the fair, and rode on that machine.

Then a few years back we were in New Brighton and went I on a Waltzer with the Mrs, I chatted to the owner and the ride was in fact the one from my childhood in Southsea, I couldn't believe it, these machines breath and have a story to tell.

I don't know why but I wanted to build one, in fact I'd buy the real one if the Mrs would let me. Five winters later I took that video. Still not finished and not touched it for a while. Current owner of the real machine and the first owner want to buy it.
However I 1) Can't put a price on it, and 2) I'll never build another. So I'm stuck with it......much to the pleasure of my Mrs:D

Again thank you.

Hiya Roman and many thanks for that, really appreciated. Yes I am an engineer but that particular ride in itself made me want to build it.

As a kid with Mum and Dad we used to go to the Isle of Wight stopping over at Southsea for the ferry many years ago, where we visited the fair, and rode on that machine.

Then a few years back we were in New Brighton and went I on a Waltzer with the Mrs, I chatted to the owner and the ride was in fact the one from my childhood in Southsea, I couldn't believe it, these machines breath and have a story to tell.

I don't know why but I wanted to build one, in fact I'd buy the real one if the Mrs would let me. Five winters later I took that video. Still not finished and not touched it for a while. Current owner of the real machine and the first owner want to buy it.
However I 1) Can't put a price on it, and 2) I'll never build another. So I'm stuck with it......much to the pleasure of my Mrs:D

Again thank you.

You are very welcome. I love it, well done!

I understand the appeal of something from childhood. It can have an enormous resonance. I particularly like routemaster buses, old tube carriages and some European trains but I'm some way off ever realising them in miniature!

Keep up the good work and, if you can bear it,p on some of your expertise. Your skills are in short supply.

All the best,

Roman

This is where I'm at after last winters efforts.:) Put it away again now for the last lap next winter.

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg
My physicist friend has now finished a machine that can shrink people down to one inch tall. We’ve done about 40 so far but attempts to get them back to full size have failed. They’ve been stuck indoors for six weeks now because of the risk from crows and cats etc. Would you consider letting them have a few rides on your carousel for a bit of an away day ? Rod Stewart has kindly agreed to them using his model railway collection.

Last edited:
What a shame that is. H&S say they need to be 2.5 inches tall at least to ride on this machine:D I'm not heightist though so would welcome them around for work experience and cleaning the Waltzer cars!! Now if you've got any 2.5 mm people they'd be more than welcome to visit this winters folly/model!!!

So, back to a little bit of modelling after a long lay off from it.I grabbed a set of these before the lock down came knowing I'd have a lot of time on my hands.

Never had a train set, never been interested even as a kid and know nowt about trains but saw these on Youtube and rose to the challenge.:rolleyes: Stunning little things when they work.

Worlds smallest scale loco's and jeez they are small. Just doing a gearbox strip and clean on one today and yes those springs are a nightmare, just sending off for a new pack now as 2 have flown the roost.

Building it on just a 2 x 4 foot board to keep it wife friendly but I have laid about 4 miles of track in scale and having fun/tears knocking up scenery and painting 1/500th scale add ons...........nightmare. That's fine cat litter next to a piece of track by the way..........doh thought it would be small enough for ballast!!!

IMG_7344.jpg

IMG_6973.jpg

lockin prompted re opening of the Airfix Bentley blower box...I'd got half way about a year or more back and got a bit frustrated at the level of work required to
prise a piece from the frame
trim it up and sand it into something like the right shape
put the part together
find and use the filler
re sand it all
undercoat it
apply 3 coats of humbrol and
finally
add it in to the model

to find it doesn't fit, and, 5 moves down the line, you discover that part 4567b2 should have gone on the other way up. Cue backtrack 25 moves and
well, you get the picture.

I think that IF we were a nation of great engineers, it was all down to kids building Airfix kits. The skills you develop are quite astonishing! :)

lockin prompted re opening of the Airfix Bentley blower box...I'd got half way about a year or more back and got a bit frustrated at the level of work required to
prise a piece from the frame
trim it up and sand it into something like the right shape
put the part together
find and use the filler
re sand it all
undercoat it
apply 3 coats of humbrol and
finally
add it in to the model

to find it doesn't fit, and, 5 moves down the line, you discover that part 4567b2 should have gone on the other way up. Cue backtrack 25 moves and
well, you get the picture.

I think that IF we were a nation of great engineers, it was all down to kids building Airfix kits. The skills you develop are quite astonishing! :)
It's even worse when the moulds are really old. I'm working my way through the Revell 1/96 Cutty Sark, which dates back to 1958 I think, and the amount of preparation to remove flashing etc from the parts is seriously tiresome. Are the new kits (e.g. Airfix Hellcat) any better?

Kenny, is that what is referred to as "Z" scale? Was just curious as I used to do "N" scale many years ago, and while even that was smallish, it is huge compared to what you are doing. Pictures of course of your layout as you go along please! Fun stuff. I used to enjoy modelling the buildings and scenery as much as running the trains back then. Enjoy!

Kenny, is that what is referred to as "Z" scale? Was just curious as I used to do "N" scale many years ago, and while even that was smallish, it is huge compared to what you are doing. Pictures of course of your layout as you go along please! Fun stuff. I used to enjoy modelling the buildings and scenery as much as running the trains back then. Enjoy!

I think Kenny's model is T gauge https://www.tgauge.com/

N is 9mm track, Z is 6.5mm and T is 3mm

Yes guys, T Gauge it is. Basically the motors that drive the locos are the same as found in mobile phones for making the vibrate function so I'm told. Track laying is a task in itself to be fair and in hindsight I'd do it differently next time around.

Just laying up some scenery for it now and hope to have a play with fibre optic strands if the lockdown continues.

I wish I'd have gone for n Gauge now Tim..... although I'd have fitted nowhere near as much on the base size I chose.

Problems with T gauge are it's only sold by 2 agents in the UK and stocks and delivery times are awful. Thankfully a lot of privateers are offering bits for it and the rest is scratch built really. Cleanliness is the issue too, track needs wiping with surgical spirit and 2000 wet and dry on a constant basis to allow trains to run smoothly.....unlike OO and N I believe.

It makes me envious seeing all the great add ons available for N Gauge too, some love things to add to the layout, with T you are looking for ideas all the time.....ie making dry stone walls from emery paper and the like. I'll take a couple of pics of where I'm up to Tim. Cheers

It's even worse when the moulds are really old. I'm working my way through the Revell 1/96 Cutty Sark, which dates back to 1958 I think, and the amount of preparation to remove flashing etc from the parts is seriously tiresome. Are the new kits (e.g. Airfix Hellcat) any better?
I haven’t tried any recently. My previous kit was a Mosquito from Tamiya.

I collect N gauge and have a layout plan for my retirement. I also have some good friends who have started a company getting N gauge models designed and manufactured at a much higher quality than the older makers in the past. The modern N gauge is astonishingly good.

This little wagon is only 50mmm long

49746395411_844f5d64df_c.jpg

I collect N gauge and have a layout plan for my retirement. I also have some good friends who have started a company getting N gauge models designed and manufactured at a much higher quality than the older makers in the past. The modern N gauge is astonishingly good.

This little wagon is only 50mmm long

49746395411_844f5d64df_c.jpg

Lovely that, would be great to see some weathering on it too.....a task always easier said than done.

advertisement

Back