advertisement

Any model makers here? This is a nice little add on.

This is where I'm at after last winters efforts.:) Put it away again now for the last lap next winter.

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

Thanks very much Ian, appreciate that. Yes it works too. I can post a vid of it via Youtube when I find it. As I say I'll finish hopefully next year.

Hahaha, thanks again Ian. Apologies up front for music and also for not switching camera off when I meant too.

This vid was taken a few weeks ago to try out all the LEDs at once and to also test various speed controllers for the ride itself.
Some were spinning it just too quickly, and never had a nice and realistic gentle start/stop action.......I settled on this controller which I think replicates the real ride ok.
£1.50, delivered from Shanghai lol.

Good grief Kenny. That's amazing:) Is this for fun or do you sell them/give them away or what. Talent ought to be widely appreciated I think.

Good grief Kenny. That's amazing:) Is this for fun or do you sell them/give them away or what. Talent ought to be widely appreciated I think.

Very kind of you to say that. In all honesty I am an engineer but as for artistic talent I do lack a bit/lot. Trick with this was just lots of research. Basing it on a real machine I could actually photograph helped no end and in fact took the artistic license thing away a bit.
I also learned so much doing it. ie making water slide transfers, using photoshop (thanks to a great chap on here), not to mention revisiting Ohms law lol. Weird how I decided to build it. We went with friends to New Brighton five years ago, being silly we went on the Waltzer. On googling the Waltzer I then learned it was a ride based in Southsea years ago and I'd been on it them on hols with mum and dad.......google also threw up that you could buy scale plans, which I did and that was that. Many thanks again.

Well lad, I'm 'an artist' and if you think you lack talent, a lot of 'artists' are in trouble. Enough smoke blown, but the Art is more than fine.
Love it. The transfer thing is new to me...Photoshop I can do, but making transfers...must look that up.

Love it. The transfer thing is new to me...Photoshop I can do, but making transfers...must look that up.

I really appreciate those comments, many thanks again. The artwork is basically just photos of the artwork taken off the ride then photoshopped to scale. Problems were not all photos were taken "square on" so I had to pull them square, which worked ok but not 100% perfect. The main head board was the killer, took me an age to get that exact, really struggled on sizing as it was too big for an A4 print, nightmare. Other issue was I used probably 100 quids worth of ink with all the mistakes............then everytime I swapped cartridges colours would slightly vary. Also the real ride changed it's artwork slightly every year in real life so I mixed and matched. All good fun though. Cheers.

Amazing Kenny. I am properly impressed! And the artwork is very nice indeed. The nearest I'm likely to get to anything so impressive is saying. "That Kenny H.. I've bin in 'is car I 'ave..." :)

Mull

Thanks Mull, appreciate that a lot. If you fancy another trip in a car with me let me know and join me for one of the local Sunday car meetings. Any time!!

Sorry for the resurrection, but I didn't see the point of starting a new thread.

I'm starting to get back into modelling, after a 40 year hiatus, before which my mother used to darkly suspect I was sniffing polystyrene cement in my spare time.

I see quite a few things have changed on the landscape, not least the move to acrylic paint instead of enamel. Not sure why that is, but could be environmental I suppose.

Anyway, I think I'm going to need an airbrush, something I never bothered with before, but I have no idea where to start. Seems logical to put a question to a modelling forum, but PFM never ceases to amaze me coming up with answers to diverse questions without the dross.

So, what do people use? I'd like not to spend a huge amount of money, but find the sweet spot between performance and quality. This will be mostly for ships (primer, hulls) and perhaps aircraft (camouflage etc). I don't see me getting a huge amount of use out of it, so probably looking at Magik level as opposed to Klimax if you get my drift.

Hahaha, thanks again Ian. Apologies up front for music and also for not switching camera off when I meant too.

This vid was taken a few weeks ago to try out all the LEDs at once and to also test various speed controllers for the ride itself.
Some were spinning it just too quickly, and never had a nice and realistic gentle start/stop action.......I settled on this controller which I think replicates the real ride ok.
£1.50, delivered from Shanghai lol.

I know I'm late to the party but that's amazing. Do you have an engineering background? How did you get to this level?

Hi Nero, I'm only a rank amateur that's only built a few kits since I got back into the hobby a few years ago. I tend to start one then have long breaks- I really should finish the kit I started last year... However, my recommendation for compressor and airbrush would be:

AS186 compressor- These are available from many sellers on ebay and amazon etc and will work fine. Much better ones are available of course, but for VFM the AS186 is hard to beat. I started off using one of these and only moved up because I wanted something with a lager tank so it wouldn't keep starting up to recharge the tank and annoy the neighbours at 3am- yes I tend to model at silly hours. Here's a typical example https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019CKXBOU/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 They tend to come with a couple of airbrushes included but they (the freeby airbrushes) are usually total crap, I highly recommend ...

Ultimate Apex Airbrush. I own several more expensive airbrushes, but the Apex is the one I use because it just feels so good to use. It's controllable and easy to strip and clean. I'd normally suggest getting it from Ultimate models themselves, but it's currently out of stock. https://www.umpretail.com/collections/apex-airbrush/products/ultimate-apex-airbrush. Emodels is another recommended shop that also sell it and have stock. https://www.emodels.co.uk/ultimate-apex-airbrush-042.html . You can get different size needles and nozzles but the standard one it comes with is perfect for 99% of modelling jobs.

I upgraded to a Bambi BB15 compressor mostly for the reasons above but it's a lot more expensive and unless you have a good reason to justify the extra expense. "I want one" is of course a good reason, then the AS186 is perfectly fine. You may find the AS186 runs out of air if you are laying down large areas of primer, meaning you have to wait for a few minutes for it to refill the tank.... which is another reason to upgrade, but honestly the AS186 is a perfectly adequate hobby compressor.
Edit: oops I forgot the link to the Bambi I use: https://www.airsupplies.co.uk/bambi-bb15v-compressor-silent-air-compressors , but as I say, the AS186 is fine for most uses and I kept mine as a "just in case" spare... but as with all hobbies, the "I want" soon kicks in. =)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back