advertisement

Any model makers here? This is a nice little add on.

Kenny, that's excellent. For 'ham fisted' you'd need to see my Airfix efforts when I was a kid..
Mine too Mull, they were dreadful........However you'd only need a couple of hours picking your nephews brains and you'd be totally surprised at your next effort, these guys know little tricks that just change things.

Ha!! I recall when he was a kid and I'd just married his Mum's younger sister. I was amazed that he was using scalpels to cut away the transparent 'excess' around the supplied decals. His work was excellent then.. it's mind blowing now.

Slightly off modelling, but another example of near obsessive levels of attention to detail etc. A cousin from my Mum's side of my family does very 'photo realistic' images.. mostly of motorcycle racers. I may have posted this link before. Look at the video of him working... if you can find it. I can't at the moment..

https://www.stevewhyman.com/index.html

Fantastic work Mull. Attention to detail is sublime, enjoyed looking at them.
A very difficult skill to master especially the weathering and final detail.
About 5 years ago on a car forum a lad posted that John Lewis were selling off large 1/24 scale Airfix Spitfires that retailed at £100 plus for 19.99p. Well what happened then was amazing, one by one the guys declared they'd bought one, turned out about 50 of us did the same..........and so the competition began.

Jeez I learned so much about the hobby and the actual subject. Turns out a few of the guys were good builders too.
At 1/24th I think it's easier than what your nephew does though.
What amazed me was how much it cost to do a decent job of a 19.99p kit from scratch. I reckon I ended up being in to the model for 300 quid easily by the time I'd finished on add ons, paints and materials..........some guys spent far more.
Took a few winter months to complete and I was pleased with results, however some of the others were incredible.

Thanks again Mull. A pic of my Spitty and some of the ham fisted detailing in comparison to your nephews.

cWsbI6jQ.jpg

Did you fill it with bangers on bonfire night?

Did you fill it with bangers on bonfire night?

Haha, not on this one Bob.....but many of the models as a child suffered similar fates.

Good guess re. the F117 but it is not an aircraft..I'll fire another pic up later of circa 3 months in to the build!!

Great work on the cockpit. Nice weathering and it looks like some Eduard etched pieces used too. You could easily spend a 100 quid just doing that, more now I think about it. Nice one.

I'll fire another pic up later of circa 3 months in to the build!!

You will have to get a move on kennyh, this will give me sleepless nights, I kid you not. I have no idea, other than presuming the circular framework will be covered, although the jointing is good enough to leave on view.

Bloss

ac7P3RP6.jpg

The red bits were laser cut for me....they would have taken me ages hahah. This is 5 years ago too Bloss;)

Looking well smart kennyh. Still not 100% sure, and not brave enough to give a suggestion, but maybe a fairground attraction?

All this is making me itch, but first I have to make some jewellery boxes for the women in the family. The one I made for my wife as a birthday present some 40 years ago is now too large and the veneer has lifted on one area of the parquetry.

bloss

Many thanks Bloss, and you are more than warm with your guess!!!

Now vintage jewelry boxes, veneer and parquetry is an art, something I'd make a hash of I think. Good luck with it when you get started with it. Cheers

Here's a few experiments from earlier in the build. Forming metal for the cars, and worst of all working out how to get 600 leds wired and flashing in sequence. Ebay and Chinese electronics helped so much with this part. Bits were cheap enough to buy and discard if not suitable.

yYqIUYRy.jpg

e_Uq8z7_DY.jpg

zRNTql9i_(1).jpg

1UCCPdB8_(1).jpg

Are you a joiner bloss? Or a hobby?

I was a carpenter and joiner, so neither one or the other, but it covered all building woodwork and construction of doors, windows, fitted units etc.
I only got more interested in furniture/cabinet making when I went into management of high end fit-out works, and now retired.

Bloss

advertisement

Back