advertisement

Any interest in a PFM Picture-A-Week (PAW)? part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I very much doubt it,you will need to be a honorary member of the back slappers union to enjoy those kind of accolades.

fdfe0927.jpg

I agree...well, I shall not be posting anymore on here... :(

Did you see pix of the Gormleys on and around Waterloo Bridge?

Sadly I never got to see that work in person, just pictures. I really like Gormley’s stuff a lot – I find the statues have far more presence and impact on their surroundings than one expects, I’d love to watch / photograph how people reacted to them in such a busy location.

Tony.

I don't understand? I like your work, but I'm certainly not here to receive accolades - I'm just a 'beginner' level photographer enjoying the pressure of trying to produce one not entirely crap picture a week - I've had a few hits, a few misses and the majority in between, which is what one would expect. This thread is a great learning experience IMO.

Tony.

Mr Cat,

I look at everyone's pix, but don't always feel compelled to comment, so don't take the absence of a compliment as indicative of anything.

Joe

Mr Cat,

99% of images posted on here recieve no comment as it's really just a thread with pictures in and the occasional "I like that". It's not a critique thread or anything like that and all the better for it in my view; critique is actually harder than taking pictures if you want to do it well. (Which is why, incidentally, Critique threads have to impose a "Post 10 Comments to Post 1 Picture" rule).

I really enjoy looking at other people's pictures and doubly so in a relatively small community like this where I "know" many of the people involved especially compared to something as vast and impersonal as Flickr. Some photos are terrible, some are great most are in-between but almost all of them have some merit if only as a way to see where other PAWers live or visit, where in the world Dan M is tis week, see how iGary Mini or Joe's daughter are getting on, etc. etc. Almost all of the time there is not much to say as the thread is realyl about showing each other pictures.

At least that is how I always viewed it.

Matthew

BTW If you do want comments/critique on your pictures then you could just post 1 or 2 you are particularly proud of or interested in and ask for specifically for comment. In wouldn't be completely out of place but you might want to do this in a separate thread and leave this one as it is given its been so successful.

Colour or Mono, both look good, can't decide which is best?

Colour for me on that one - the colour range is so subtle that it doesn't distract at all from the minimalist feel of the picture, it adds. I like it!

Tony.

I hope this is not the case because I like your photos of the dale where you live,waterfalls,fields and even the wildlife.

Besides,how many other posters here can say that their photograph made the front page of two daily nationals and a regional newspaper - I'll have a guess, One.

This thread isn't a contest about equipment or photographic skill. It's really simple -- you take a picture each week, then post it.

Joe

Nice dunes, Dan. Nice large, corrugated biscuit tin, Artioneer.

Joe

Thanks Joe! OK, so photo question - what's causing the Moire patterns in Arti's pic and is it possible to avoid it in the digital realm?

Nice dunes, Dan. Nice large, corrugated biscuit tin, Artioneer.

Well, thanks Joe, praise from your good self is high praise indeedy.

Thanks Joe! OK, so photo question - what's causing the Moire patterns in Arti's pic and is it possible to avoid it in the digital realm?

Dan, I noticed exactly the same - rather like Newtons Rings effect, I'm still using a cheap epson flatbed which I don't think does me any favors, I'll rescan tomorrow and see if I can improve.

Dan & Art,

You can minimize moire patterns by using a really high-res film scanner, or scanning at your scanner's highest native resolution and then resizing downward.

To be honest, I've had moire crop up in only one pic -- a digital one -- so I've never bothered figuring out how to get rid of it. This link might be helpful, though --

http://www.scantips.com/basics6c.html

Joe

Dan & Art,

You can minimize moire patterns by using a really high-res film scanner, or scanning at your scanner's highest native resolution and then resizing downward.

To be honest, I've had moire crop up in only one pic -- a digital one -- so I've never bothered figuring out how to get rid of it. This link might be helpful, though --

http://www.scantips.com/basics6c.html

Joe

The patterns are aliasing noise, so once they are in the image it's difficult or impossible to remove them without removing other information. As Joe has suggested though, if you scan at a very high res and then down res with a bandlimited interpolation then you will remove the aliasing (along with all information above the frequency you've resampled to). This works since the information that's getting chucked away downsampling includes the aliasing.

I have newton ring problems with my scanner and I was going to get some perspex cut to help flattern the negatives. I've got some spare stuff in the garage that i'll attack with a stanley knife and we'll see what happens.

Cesare

My first ever medium format picture:

1438089410_dcf1f186fe_o.jpg

1437227915_ad546e1c56_o.jpg

They are slightly random as it was a really a trial run to make sure everything is working and to get used to the camera but it was fun to experiment and I shall do more I think.

Couple more at http://tinyurl.com/3d7upg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back