advertisement

Any Innuos users here?

OK. Progress report/update.

I'm pleasantly surprised how the my.innuos.com site immediately picks up the server on my network. I suppose it's normal to the 'cognoscenti'.. but it never happened with my Dansette and I'm 'well impressed'.

Ripping of my CD collection is going well. One CD of slightly dubious provenance refused to be ripped, but I copied it on my Yammy CDR and the copy ripped perfectly. A couple of perfectly respectable commercial CDs will not rip. Old Yardbirds compilation for e.g... and a Nino Tempo-April Stevens compilation. Does Innuos have a 'taste' filter..? Will try again tomorrow.

I have a large number of 'non-standard' CDs which may, or may not, have metadata/tags etc. I'll deal with them later..

Which brings me to Internet Radio. This was another reason I bought the machine, but frankly I can't see how this works and the Innuos website offers almost zero info. As I keep on saying, I really struggle with the whole logic and 'architecture' of the interaction between the various bits of this stuff. So.. I assume I need to get a radio app?. Any suggestions.. recommendations? I'm looking to get mostly BBC 2, 3, 4. plus maybe stuff like Smooth/Classic FM and possibly 'Absolute' or somesuch for when I'm feeling especially right on, fab and groovy.

What am I missing?

I'm pleasantly surprised how the my.innuos.com site immediately picks up the server on my network. I suppose it's normal to the 'cognoscenti'.. but it never happened with my Dansette and I'm 'well impressed'.

Ripping of my CD collection is going well. One CD of slightly dubious provenance refused to be ripped, but I copied it on my Yammy CDR and the copy ripped perfectly. A couple of perfectly respectable commercial CDs will not rip. Old Yardbirds compilation for e.g... and a Nino Tempo-April Stevens compilation. Does Innuos have a 'taste' filter..? Will try again tomorrow.

I have a large number of 'non-standard' CDs which may, or may not, have metadata/tags etc. I'll deal with them later..

Which brings me to Internet Radio. This was another reason I bought the machine, but frankly I can't see how this works and the Innuos website offers almost zero info. As I keep on saying, I really struggle with the whole logic and 'architecture' of the interaction between the various bits of this stuff. So.. I assume I need to get a radio app?. Any suggestions.. recommendations? I'm looking to get mostly BBC 2, 3, 4. plus maybe stuff like Smooth/Classic FM and possibly 'Absolute' or somesuch for when I'm feeling especially right on, fab and groovy.

What am I missing?

Can’t help with the technical stuff. But what you’re missing is Radio Paradise. It’s fabulous

What am I missing?

You don't need another app.

I don't know how much Innuos preps the Logitechmediaserver that it utilises.

On your Orange Squeeze look under My Apps or Radio for BBC iPlayer.

If it is not there then you need to add the repository for it on the LMS Settings page under the tab for "Plugins".

If you have a Squeezebox, you will have perormed this task before.

ronnie

also this might help a bit

https://www.orangebikelabs.com/products/orangesqueeze

Out of curiousity, do the ripped CDs sound better than they did when played in your CD player?

That would be the USP for me, especially.

OK.

What am I missing?

I have looked at the on-line manual, which says nothing abouth streaming radio stations.

The quick start guide mentions "Radio" which is where you will have to go(between page 12 and 11)

I think your best bet (unless someone comes in and advises) is to ask your dealer on Monday and then ask Innuos. I wold ignore my earlier advice on using the LMS web gui to set things up, this appears to be discouraged (as there is totally no mention of it).

ronnie.

Out of curiousity, do the ripped CDs sound better than they did when played in your CD player?

Not in my experience. They get very close though...

Certainly the closest I have experienced with CA which is why I bought into this brand back in 2016.

I have streamed radio via the iPeng app and it was a pleasant surprise...

That's a hard one.. as I've listened to very little so far. I'm mostly into vinyl and I'm kind of settled on the idea that 'digital is digital' unless seriously wrong, or low bit rate c.f CD. First impressions are very positive.. that is CD ripped in FLAC and replayed via the Innuos' own DAC straight into my LFD Zero Mk V. It has clarity, presence, imaging and detail.. assuming it was on the CD in the first place. I have a lot of 'legacy' music. I have yet to try the Innuos with my Benchmark DAC1, or compare the result with my Rotel 965-BX, which I restored to its rightful position on the rack a couple of years ago. If I wanted to be really OCD I could also compare with CD replay on my Yamaha CDR either direct or in 'DAC Mode'.

OK. Thanks again for all and especially re: Radio. I shall look into it.

I have streamed radio via my Squeezebox but will leave that for now until I've explored the Innuos properly. As GT says, Internet Radio is surprisingly good. IIRC many problems with 'broadcast' digital radio are down to bandwidth issues and low bit rate transmissions, but I'm supposing, in my ignorance, that the stations' internet stream is more consistent in quality?

many problems with 'broadcast' digital radio are down to bandwidth issues and low bit rate transmissions, but I'm supposing, in my ignorance, that the stations' internet stream is more consistent in quality

Imo it's more to do with the compression applied. Some low-bit rate mp3 streams sound (to my ears) much better than other streams, including some flac streams. The content, obviously, is also important. The quality of the stream provided to the Zen wil be the same as any other streamer, any difference will be down to the audio output section of the Zen and possibly the service provided by the ISP (imo).

Hope you get sorted.

ronnie.

Be aware of potential difficulties with regard to the use of TuneIn and the BBC, see the thread on these pages, just a heads up ;)

Thanks again!!

A little exploration of the Orange Squeeze app found radio. All BBC present via iPlayer or live. Also found all of Absolute after a single search. No doubt more delights in store when I have more time.

A couple more discoveries. Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted but there may be other IT dummies out there like me...

1. It was obvious a couple of discs weren't being ripped and I couldn't figure how to eject them other than to switch the Zen off and on again. It doesn't look like the 'Squeeze' app shows the ripping process as such... though I may be wrong there too. Anyway, logging in to my.innuos.com brings up the server on my network. In the left side menu > CD Ripper > top right menu > Force Eject.

A bit intriguing that some apparently spotless 'kosher' CDs won't rip. Only solution I can think of is to copy them to a CD-RW on my CDR and see what happens with the copy. It worked for a 'Only Slightly Less Than Kosher' disc last night. :rolleyes:

Seems to be not seeing it as it has 'please insert a disc' running continually. Last night it wouldn't rip an Undertones double at all. Today it ripped the first disc and grabbed the art etc. Then apeared to be ripping second disc but stalled on one song till I gave up.

Interesting. I ripped 1200 cds with 2 rejects. (Zenith II). Not sure what to suggest, other than if the cd is clean etc?

Shame you don’t still live in Notts or we could try said cd in my machine.

Another interesting little development. I was able to install Orange Squeeze on my phone too, as I fancied the optiion of using that too for control. However, the app on my phone can't find my server. Very odd.

advertisement

Back