advertisement

Any Innuos users here?

Actually it will. It has a quad core Intel processor and 4GB RAM. It is (by design) a low power device, so it won't support complex DSP across lots of zones all playing concurrently like a Roon Nucleus Plus would, but it is still very capable.

Thanks for this. Mercifully, I'm not looking at multi-room etc. It's all I can do to get one room right. :(

Colin, Lee @ Strictly Stereo is a good lad and extremely helpful and was instrumental in getting my Zen repaired following the recent electrical storms and would be a good place to start your journey.

I have the Innuos ZEN Mk3 wich I am very happy with. It was actually replacing an Audiostore prestige server. Both were powered with a Sean Jacobs DC-3 powersupply.
The Innuos was the better machine.

I bought the Zenith MKII last year and haven't looked back... SQ is as good as my high end CDP. It connects via USB to my DAC, not sure if I need to upgrade to the III
Mac

Thanks to all. I purchased a MkIII this afternoon from my usual dealers. So far I've looked at the box contents and read the 'Get Started' booklet twice. I understood some of it....

Have also factory reset a cheap nasty tablet I have lying about ready for installing the necessary App. I'll buy a better one if it isn't up to the job. To be honest though, I still find all of this stuff a bit of a mystery... so we will see what tomorrow brings when I connect the thing up and attempt lift off..

Wish me luck!! :confused:

As with any device like this just make sure your WiFi coverage to your router from where you operate the Innuos is good. Also, a direct ethernet feed (CAT5/6) is advisable. Both of these are extremely important if you want fuss free operation.

Colin, Lee @ Strictly Stereo is a good lad and extremely helpful and was instrumental in getting my Zen repaired following the recent electrical storms and would be a good place to start your journey.

Lee is indeed a top man.

Mull, I was in the same position as you a few years ago. Lee helped me understand what I needed to do.

Like you, I have no interest or ability when it comes to computers and associated gubbins. I don’t even have a computer.

I bought a Blusound Vault 2 and in no time I had over 3,000 CDs ripped and stored. Setting up and doing it couldn’t have been simpler.

Later I bought a Blusound Powernode for a second system in my gym. All works seamlessly and sq is fabulous.

I moved from a 12 year old 1TB Vortexbox device to a 4TB Zen MK3 courtesy of Lee@Strictly Stereo. The change from one machine to the other was relatively tedious given the amounts of data being copied but was straightforward. The software on the Zen is absolutely rock solid, completely silent 99% of the time, and is easier to use than the Vortexbox. I use Roon to control the Zen which serves music to my Lumin/Aesthetix streamer/DAC setup and to a bunch of Raspberry Pi based setups. I have no issues with multi-room serving (unlike with the old Vortexbox) but have yet to explore the DSP functionality in Roon.

As a comparison, I would say the Zen is much, much easier to use than the Vortexbox (which was kept up to date) but it is unfair to make any real attempt to compare the performance of a 12-year device with something brand new. I have no regrets about buying the Zen.

Thanks for all further replies. It all helps.
Graham. I've 're-purposed' a powerline adapter I was using to try to overcome a TV audio Sync issue. (That has disappeared on installation of a better TV) That adapter is now available close to my hi-fi set up, so AIUI, no need for a wi-fi connection between router (Virgin Hub 3) and Innuos .. I think. The unbranded fifty quid tablet I'm planning to use for control, has no difficulty connecting to the router from anywhere in the house.. though it does have a habit of losing the connection randomly and as I said above... can always be dismissed if it fails to keep its end up.. as it were.
I'm still confused about a few things (at least).

1.The Innuos quick start guide says to use 'Orange Squeeze' for remote control with Android. I've looked at that and it's a paid app. An indication of where I'm up to with all this tech is that I had to google 'How to pay for an app'... I'm now trying to find out what, if anything is left of my PayPal a/c..but failing that it's a card payment.

2. I can presumably use 'Orange Squeeze' on my phone too.. and I suppose on my 'smart' TV. I assume I only purchase it once?

As an aside, I have a Logitech Squeezebox currently unused. I don't know that I can see any obvious use for it in this context.. but am open to ideas. That's for later though. Maybe a little bedroom system?

Once I get set up I can see what differences I can detect between the Innuos' own DAC, and my Benchmark.

Onwards an upwards!!

Thanks for all further replies. It all helps.
Graham. I've 're-purposed' a powerline adapter I was using to try to overcome a TV audio Sync issue. (That has disappeared on installation of a better TV) That adapter is now available close to my hi-fi set up, so AIUI, no need for a wi-fi connection between router (Virgin Hub 3) and Innuos .. I think. The unbranded fifty quid tablet I'm planning to use for control, has no difficulty connecting to the router from anywhere in the house.. though it does have a habit of losing the connection randomly and as I said above... can always be dismissed if it fails to keep its end up.. as it were.
I'm still confused about a few things (at least).

1.The Innuos quick start guide says to use 'Orange Squeeze' for remote control with Android. I've looked at that and it's a paid app. An indication of where I'm up to with all this tech is that I had to google 'How to pay for an app'... I'm now trying to find out what, if anything is left of my PayPal a/c..but failing that it's a card payment.

2. I can presumably use 'Orange Squeeze' on my phone too.. and I suppose on my 'smart' TV. I assume I only purchase it once?

As an aside, I have a Logitech Squeezebox currently unused. I don't know that I can see any obvious use for it in this context.. but am open to ideas. That's for later though. Maybe a little bedroom system?

Once I get set up I can see what differences I can detect between the Innuos' own DAC, and my Benchmark.

Onwards an upwards!!

I believe most people use iPeng as the controlling app for the Innuos. Best to try both and see which one you prefer.

Mr. Mull

As Innuos uses Logitech Media Server your spare Squeezebox will be available as an end device.

The Orange Squeeze app will run on Android Phone and Tablet (it does on mine). I paid just over £3, I believe. ( you can upgrade to the Beta version for free, I think).

Any app that will control a Squeezebox will work, even a browser, you will need to use the IP Address of the Zen, example 192.168.1.23:9000.

Thanks. I've finally succeeded in downloading 'Orange Squeeze'. £4.29, which was about 5p more than in my near moribund PP a/c.. but never mind. When opened, the app immediately started looking for a server. I've not installed the server yet.. that comes next after I've done battle with the dust and spiders in my equipment rack.. :D

Can't rush these things..

As with any device like this just make sure your WiFi coverage to your router from where you operate the Innuos is good. Also, a direct ethernet feed (CAT5/6) is advisable. Both of these are extremely important if you want fuss free operation.

Good advice. I use Powerline adaptors with no lag or connection issues. Fuss free operation here.

I’d suggest you have a back up powerline adaptor of the same make/model etc, as manufacturers move on in this regard quite frequently.

that comes next after I've done battle with the dust and spiders in my equipment rack.. :D

Can't rush these things..

All done. Couple of CDs ripped and replay is fine. As with all things Digital/PC/Android etc., it will take me time to find my way around stuff. But my Innuos is working. :)

Many thanks for all tips and hints.

Can’t have been much of a clean you did!

Enjoy your brave new world.

.sjb

I have been using a Zen mkIII for about a month. I think the price is very reasonable since storage is included, and a high quality power supply is built in. I am using mine in combined Roon core/player mode and am very happy with the user experience and the sound.

advertisement

Back