advertisement

Any guitar amp builders here?

RichardH

Bodging pleb
Mulling the idea of building a bass guitar amp. Anyone any experiences? I'd only want it as a decent sounding "practice" amp, and would probably build a seperate cabinet for the speaker/s.

Lots of web links on guitar amps/cabs, but not too much around on bass stuff.

When I built one in 1970, I used a full range high power mono amp and dumped the output into a 15" woofer that was built into a home made chipboard cabinet. I had to sit on it to stop it rattling but I thought I looked cool on stage :).

Mick

Hmmm - slight diversion...
I've got a Burman valve bass amp that cost a packet around 1978 but has been sitting in my garage unused for more than 10 years. It's a monster and sounds(ed?) great, but I fear I'll never use it again and it may or may not be shagged.
If you want it and are OK to collect from the Reading area then it's yours.
You'll either end up with a big grin on your face if it works, mildly p*ssed off if it doesn't, or with a frizzy hairdo if the electrics have gone astray. You could also get a hernia from lifting it.
One consideration when piddling with amps is to use a circuit breaker and possibly a radio lead. I recall playing in a band a few years back and the singer came over and put his arm around me. He was holding a microphone and I was holding a guitar. Something wasn't earthed properly. BANG! FLASH! darkness. Fortunately a circuit breaker tripped and we were able to carry on when it was reset (though I did feel inclined to operate an exclusion zone after that!).

a bent bit of aluminium with some holes drilled in for the controls and some pre-built modules from a company named "TUAC", what happened to them? It gave about 30W and was great for practice and I even did a gig with it until I went down the road of, what Tony might describe as, "free bass amps" and had a turnover of secondhand stuff for little overall outlay as I climbed up the ladder.

I would be interested in to see how this thread develops as I generally cart around my Trace Elliot for practice.

It has been my aim to get a quality pre-amp and use this with a large power amp and cab for gigs but a small powered cab for practice.

cheers,

Prowla - I may well take you up on that - sounds like a bit of me! But how huge is it?
I'm supposed to be visiting friends in Bracknell over the Christmas period, so that would work OK. I'll drop you a PM.

However, I too would like to see how this develops. Mick - I had thoughts similar to yours - maybe one of BKElec's mosfet mono amp modules (then I could also use it to drive the sub I keep meaning to build), plus some sort of preamp with twiddly knobs.

this is about the most interesting article I found about the speaker cab part - sadly, it seems the drive units mentioned are unavailable now.

advertisement

Back