advertisement

Any experience of IMF loudspeakers? I got a pair today!

I had tdl studio 0.5 as a student, awesome raw oomph. Not subtle but direct energetic and soaked up or destroyed weedy Brit amps. Need big current to control and tame.

I wish I could try my old TDL Studio 1s with the amplification I’ve now got available. Same with the IMF RSPM4s that I part x’d for the TDLs - always thought the Studio 1s performed better than the RSPM4s in my room but not sure how much this was actually a consequence of the amplification used at the time more than a fault of the room. However I believe it to be true that the big IMFs sound better in rooms with solid floors and walls compared to those with floating floors & stud walls, regardless of the amplification employed. My Linn Isobariks are easier to get sounding good in the same space due to active operation making it easier to drive them sufficiently through the use of a stack of more affordable amplifiers vs the single (expensive) one needed to get the full potential out of the single wired transmission line type speakers that preceded them. Although maybe the ‘Briks just more suit my music taste.

Agree on room, at time was a concrete floor Victorian lounge that was 24ft by 27ft with 13ft ceiling, used with a Sansui 9000 or marantz monster I’ve forgotten number of.

Here we go.

Any idea on the tweeters?

And that woofer!

I have played them all day.
They sound good for what they are.

Supposed high efficiency I think. They are certainly loud at average levels.

I think The Daughter is having them for a while, maybe.

167-F98-A6-70-E5-4-DD9-9266-345-FEC637-C0-E.jpg

3-E65789-E-A1-FB-460-B-A259-8785-DADBF473.jpg

Good to see your system with the IMFs in place - they are a very good sounding speaker - here is my system as it stands right now (I've just taken the photos)...

I've been playing these IMF's now for Months straight - they are so impressive I am concerned that one day (due to their age) something is going to give.

Even though they seem to be in top form now - can anyone recommend me someone who can sympathetically repair vintage loudspeakers such as these should the need arise?

advertisement

Back