Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti Woke movement grows

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ks.234, Jun 9, 2021.

1. oldius

oldius Can pleasure be measured?

As I have said, my opinion is that both sides must be heard.

2. oldius

It was allegedly taken down following a democratic vote based on the queen being a symbol of colonial power and white supremacy. Further discussions have mentioned that she is draped in jewels stolen from 'black and brown' nations.

Covkxw likes this.
  3. Kirk

Kirk pfm Member

The UK is becoming more like America every day.

Colin Barron likes this.
  4. essgee

essgee pfm Member

Oh no! Last thing we need.

5. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

As I understand it, the wokeists are now going after our sausages?

Shocking!

First they came for Her Majesty, and I did not speak out because I was not Her Majesty. Then they came for the sausages, and I did not speak out because I etc etc etc.

I bet GB News will be championing the Great British sausage.

[​IMG]

6. Markyb

Markyb pfm Member

Apt that he appears to have a pair of bollocks just under his mouth

7. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

If those are bollocks, and you turn the picture upside down, what’s the long pink thing?

Rob998 likes this.
  8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

I think it’s an arse

ks.234 likes this.
  9. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

They’d not give a damn. But also, I struggle to understand why proclaiming to be woke would turn someone into a fierce anti-racist and friend of people of all colours. It takes a little more than that I reckon.

Curtis likes this.
  10. Fatmarley

Fatmarley Agnostic

Isn't being woke about having empathy and compassion for others?

Surely anyone who's anti-woke is lacking in those feelings?

11. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

It’s odd so many talk of airbrushing the past, I distinctly remember studying the slave trade at secondary school. I remember with horror the diagrams of slave ships.
    Re students, it’s usually the most radical, left or right, that are the loudest and most active, most are ambivalent till forced to make a choice.
    It’s the motivated ones who lead the agenda.

YehIknow likes this.
  12. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yup

TheDecameron and Fatmarley like this.
  13. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Are you being serious, @ks.234 ?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  14. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Amusingly, the real 'snowflakes' here are the students who lost the vote about the portrait, then went whining to the press about it.

ks.234 likes this.
  15. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

You only need to look to this very thread to see the fundamental truth of woke.

It’s bullying.

It needs cancelling.

16. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I only need to look at this thread to see that's it's a good deal more complicated than that.

With the royal portrait hoo-hah, a memory stirred about an anecdote related by one of my teachers. My school was, and still is, a Catholic grammar school. This particular teacher was one of several Irish Christian Brothers, and had taught there since the school was founded, some 30 years before I arrived.

The story that he told was that, when the school became a direct grant school, there was a Government rule that no religious images were to be displayed in the classrooms. So, whenever the school was to be inspected, the statues which adorned each room had to be hidden away, to be retrieved after the inspectors left. The rule was no longer in force by the time I was there.

Now, a statue is basically just plaster and paint, but in this context, the statues were heavily symbolic. To the teachers, especially those who were in Holy Orders, the statues represented an aspect of their religious faith. To the inspectors, they represented religious indoctrination. To any random visiting Protestant, they might also have represented idolatory and superstition.

In the same way, a picture of the Queen is just a picture of the Queen. But that picture has symbolic power of different types, to different people.

bigjonny, oldius and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  17. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

There must be a shop that sells inappropriately long ties like the one above and of course made famous by the ridiculous Trump. It seems necessary that it drapes off the summit of their great corpulence then dangles over their crotch. Why is that?
    Edit: it creates the illusion that they are taller than they actually, particularly in the case of the diminutive mahogany-dyed garden gnome above. He’s bizarre to look at in real life I can attest.

18. oldius

I'm not sure I understand what your post means.

19. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes

20. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

How is woke bullying? Or do you mean anti woke is bullying?