advertisement

Anti Woke movement grows

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOL

What planet are you on?

How long have rangers and celtic been at odds? How long will it continue?

Are you always disrespectful, Vinny? In a previous discussion you called me a moron and today you have talked about 'all this bollox' and now LOL. Taking that tack is something I have had to deal with many times and, unfortunately, my experience of it normally comes from those with bigoted views.

I doubt the impact of taking the knee has been, or can ever be, measured.

I have no issue with people doing it. What irritates is that some high profile sportspeople (Lewis Hamilton e.g.) criticising those who choose not to.

I doubt the impact of taking the knee has been, or can ever be, measured.

I have no issue with people doing it. What irritates is that some high profile sportspeople (Lewis Hamilton e.g.) criticising those who choose not to.

This is in line with the view that being silent on the issue is, effectively, condoning it. I would agree.

For a great summary of how racism is largely driven/maintained at structural levels and how people are most often agents of that structure, watch the video below by Dr Alisha Moreland-Capuia. The main focus of her presentation is around psychological trauma but it just so happens she uses racial trauma as a real-world example. Jump to 10 minutes to get right to her presentation and skip the introductions. Best. Presentation. Ever!

Disclaimer: I'm an admin worker for Epione Training, the host of Dr AMC's presentation.

Maybe those high profile sports people have real experience of daily racism and feel strongly about it?
Perhaps they do but that gives them no right to criticise those who choose to express their feelings on the subject differently.

Good luck with that one.

Generational change, I'd go with.

The two go hand in hand, we talk and educate children and impressionable people such that when they perform similar duties, they know what is right and statistically opinions change. We have already moved the needle from my parents and grandparents generations. My children are 100% happy with a full multicultural cohort of friends, they never even query it. My MIL (85) mentioned to my daughter "oh some of your friends are not english" - meaning black, and my daughter got really angry with her wording but as she was her grandma, did not snap but explained calmly and forcefully that was not appropiate language and were her friends and their colour was irrelevant. That is not just down to our upbringing but also living in a multicutural area with similar schooling and seeing all cultures involved in most walks of life.

Take your average racist thug and surround them in that environment and they will change as well. Not all of them and not overnight but they will.

But it is not a reason to stop protesting is it? It might be frustrating and seem pointless but it is a lot better that just stopping because there are some lost causes.

Perhaps they do but that gives them no right to criticise those who choose to express their feelings on the subject differently.

They have the same right to criticise others who they disagree with as you do unless you think success removes that right.

As I recall his main complaint was with the F1 poor and shambolic organisation and Romain Grosjean who was director of the GP drivers association not joining the other two GPDA directors (Vettel and Wurz) in a joint message of support in the first occurrence.

I hear a lot of this kind of criticism of Lewis and other black athletes who are trying to raise awareness of a hideous cutural problem usually complanied about as being "political comment" when its not really is it, its about human rights.

We have study groups that have been looking at the whole black lives matter issue over recent months ( not that I go as not keen on zoom stuff too much )

By contrast I was chatting with a tradesman who just thinks the whole thing is crap !

This is in line with the view that being silent on the issue is, effectively, condoning it. I would agree.

I respect, and would support anybody who chooses to take the knee. I think it's a worthwhile gesture to encourage discussion if nothing else. I don't agree with you on this point tho sorry - put simply, that's the polarising "either you're for us or against us" argument.

That's divisive and rejects everybody's right not to comment or take an overt position on anything.

I respect, and would support anybody who chooses to take the knee. I think it's a worthwhile gesture to encourage discussion if nothing else. I don't agree with you on this point tho sorry - put simply, that's the polarising "either you're for us or against us" argument.

That's divisive and rejects everybody's right not to comment or take an overt position on anything.

I understand that view but I would question silence on injustice.

There could be some awkward moments ahead in the UEFA competition if odius' view is universally adopted.
Some teams will. Some teams may not.

Yes, but why stop at racism? There could be a 'sermon' by a different 'protected group' at the beginning of every game. A feminist could lecture them about their male privilege, a trans person could teach about the importance of using non binary pronouns. Then may'be Jamie Oliver could warn them not to be tempted by the junk food on offer while at the game. Anyone who boohoos this should not allowed to attend another game until they espouse the correct attitudes.

Frivolous, surely; I cannot imagine anyone would be comparing racism with junk food.

advertisement

Back