advertisement

Anthony Loyd on Don McCullin's shellshocked marine

Vietnam 50 years ago ? Another generation has been sent to die and be traumatised in an illegal war in Iraq. This time they made sure only poor kids went: no conscription.

I recall staring into his eyes on a poster sized print when Don McCullin had a major exhibition at the Barbican, possibly late 80s? It's a spectacular photo up close.

It’s behind a paywall unfortunately.

I saw a big McCullin exhibition a few years ago at Bradford. Incredibly moving. His photos from Cyprus and Africa were just as good. He’s one of the greats.

Thanks for the other link.

I went to the McCullin retrospective at Hauser & Worth in Bruton (McCullin lives nearby) a couple of years ago. It was pretty extraordinary, emotionally shattering. My partner couldn't take it, she had to go outside. From a discompassionate, photographer's point of view, the prints were something else, so deep and rich. Made me want to give up. You know you can't get close to work like that.

From a discompassionate, photographer's point of view, the prints were something else, so deep and rich. Made me want to give up. You know you can't get close to work like that.

The exhibition at Bradford had a working print of the marine that he’d marked up with the dodging and burning instruction. A lot of work went into making them look like they do.

I’ve never managed to see a McCullin exhibition but was extremely lucky to find myself standing next to him at a Sebastiao Salgado exhibition in Bath a number of years back. Don was discussing the images with Sebastiao himself.

I’ve never managed to see a McCullin exhibition but was extremely lucky to find myself standing next to him at a Sebastiao Salgado exhibition in Bath a number of years back. Don was discussing the images with Sebastiao himself.

Now there's a conversation I'd have liked to earwig on.

Now there's a conversation I'd have liked to earwig on.

The first I knew they were there was when I heard Don speak and I can honestly say a shiver ran down my spine. I then turned to check I’d heard who I thought I’d heard and was staggered to see who he was talking to. Hero worship doesn’t come close.

advertisement

Back