advertisement

ANRS...and a real beauty....sigh.....

Robert

Tapehead
ANRS - Automatic Noise Reduction System. Remember it?

Way back in the days when cassette decks represented a show case or the technology of the Japanese majors and were built to last, JVC got themselves involved in legal battles with Dolby labs over their version of the 'B' type noise reduction system. ANRS and Dolby B were essentially the same and there was much argument as to who got there first with Dolby emerging as the final victor.

So why is he prattling on about some old defunct NR system you may ask. Well, I recently landed a rather nice, no very nice high end JVC cassette deck - the DD9.

Buying a vintage cassette deck is a risky business as most simply dont work very well. This is mainly because the belts used in the mechs deteriorate with age and become slack leading to poor speed stability. What is facinating about the DD9 is the use of quartz locked direct drive for the transport which give it the speed stability of a decent turntable. This attracted me as the lack of belts meant that the deck should still perform well nearly 25 years after it's birth - and it does.

Not only does this machine have QL DD drive but it has something called 'BEST' which auto tunes the bias, equalization and two stages of record sensitivity (mid/high) for any tape inserted. The whole process takes around 30 secs and results in a ruler flat response with any decent tape, even a budget ferric like TDK D.
Add in three heads, superb meters and a power supply that would suite a small integrated amp and you have all the right ingredients. This particular sample looks (and smells) new, it even has the little 'techy' silver and blue stickers on the facia and case and there is no sign of any wear on the heads or rollers.

I won't spend pages describing the sound but will simply say that when auto tuned on Maxell XLII tape it gives a perfect tonal match to the source with only the mild dynamic compression of cassette tape and slight hiss telling you that you are listening to a copy.

Sadly the DD9 was the last great cassette deck made by JVC from the 'silver period' and history shows that a year later most of the big players started producing those boring black boxes with messy ergonomics and extensive use of plastics that were to last right into the late '90s.

And now for the eye candy.

Rob.

eba00394891f00000149.jpg

Nice one Robert :)

In the quest to remain Analogue, I recently bought:

1. A Nakamichi LX3
2. A Nakamichi LX5
3. A JVC BRS711U Hi-Fi S-VHS VCR (you can see it here )

The Naks are in various stages of repair, I need belts for the LX3, and the LX5 won't record (I knew this when I bought them - cheap) and I'm still waiting for the VCR to arrive from the US.

Recording onto a Hi-Fi VCR is in my opinion, the highest fidelity that can be achieved in Analogue form due in the main to the high relative tape speed (approx 5 Metres/second) compared with cassettes @ 1 & 7/8 inches per second, and even Open Reel decks like the Studer 810 (max speed of 30 ips).

Try it yourself and see, but there's a lot of other people out there who know this, try buying a decent S/H hi-end Betamax or S-VHS VCR and you'll soon realise that they go for good money.

Deck looks real nice by the way - enjoy :D
Mike

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks Mike,

I've used an LX3 - nice machine and great styling.
Hope you get the LX5 fixed. Am I right in thinking that this is a three head version of the 3?

Solo piano recorded onto the DD9 shows rock solid speed stability - amazing for a machine 25 years old and proof that DD drive cassette works.

Good heads too, as TDK metal gives clean results with the meters hitting +6db.

Love there old machines.
That JVC S-VHS looks awesome!

Rob.

Originally posted by Robert
Thanks Mike,

I've used an LX3 - nice machine and great styling.
Hope you get the LX5 fixed. Am I right in thinking that this is a three head version of the 3?

Solo piano recorded onto the DD9 shows rock solid speed stability - amazing for a machine 25 years old and proof that DD drive cassette works.

Good heads too, as TDK metal gives clean results with the meters hitting +6db.

Love there old machines.

Rob.

Yes, The LX5 is the 3-head version, I really like the styling on the LX series better than anything else they did (especially the Dragon - ugly brute and aptly named IMHO).

Glad to hear your enjoying the JVC, last cassette deck I had before I bought the Naks was an old Pioneer CT-A7, I've never seen another one, but have since discovered that I inadvertantly bought (and subsequently lost) about the best cassette deck ever produced some say.

Ah, well, them were the days. I have some good sources for new cassettes by the way, not easy to find these days I can tell you. Let me know if you have any trouble and will help if I can.

Mike
:)

Hi not sure if you guys are still following this thread. I have a lovely LX3, which needs repairing. Do you know of anyone in the UK who can be trusted with it. (I am in Nottingham)

Cheers

Bowers and Wilkins will do the job for you servicing-wise; I got some new feet from them for my recently-acquired DR2, and will definitely use them for servicing when it needs it.

That DD9 looks great - but why do so many JVCs have the tape well on the right-hand side???

advertisement

Back