advertisement

Another 'what compact?' thread

Darren555

pfm Member
Ok so I'm lusting after the Fujifilm X100 but won't be spending that kind of money.
I want something I can take with me when mountain biking and walking, so mainly landscapes. I'm not too bothered about jpeg performance as I will shoot RAW and then edit in Lightroom 3. Good IQ is a priority.
The Sigma DP1 can be picked up new for under two hundred notes so would that fit the bill?

Cheers,

Darren

Cheers Cliff.

After a bit of research, I really do like the look of a Panasonic Lumix LX5, but I dunno what it is about the DP1 that still attracts me.
Yes I love the simplistic styling but even after reading the reviews I quite like the idea of its limitations and sluggishness :confused:

Ok so I'm lusting after the Fujifilm X100 but won't be spending that kind of money.
I want something I can take with me when mountain biking and walking, so mainly landscapes. I'm not too bothered about jpeg performance as I will shoot RAW and then edit in Lightroom 3. Good IQ is a priority.
The Sigma DP1 can be picked up new for under two hundred notes so would that fit the bill?

Cheers,

Darren

A couple of weeks ago, I bought the Canon S95.

I was getting a bit tired of taking my Pentax K7 with me on my hiking trips, the reduction in size and weight can certainly be felt and is appreciated.

I have not yet made any in-depth comparison between the Canon and the Pentax - it is clear that the Pentax is better for all the obvious reasons, the question just is by how much.

What I can say is that the handling in manual mode with the Canon is great, with the adjustment ring around the base of the lens - better even IMO than what the Ricoh GR Digital offered (which I also owned), which is also a great compact camera for manual handling.

I am baffled that DSLR manufacturers did not jump on Canon's idea and included such an adjustment ring for aperture change on their DSLR bodies - all the people coming from analog SLRs would have loved it!

Anyway, there are tons of reviews on the S95 on the web, it looks rather inconspicuous and, for a compact camera, quite "serious", and it is not that expensive. And Ken Rockwell likes it, too.

Samuel.

I am baffled that DSLR manufacturers did not jump on Canon's idea and included such an adjustment ring for aperture change on their DSLR bodies - all the people coming from analog SLRs would have loved it!

Samuel.

Don't all Pentax/Nikon users with old manual focus lenses and real aperture rings get this with their DSLRs?

Don't all Pentax/Nikon users with old manual focus lenses and real aperture rings get this with their DSLRs?

well I don't know about Pentax. With Nikon, there are 3 options. If you use AI or AIS lenses then bodies like the Nikon D3 have a feeler which senses the change in aperture provided that you actually tell the camera what the lens max aperture is. With older autofocus lenses with aperture rings - eg the Micro Nikkor 60mm D, you lok the aperture at maximum and then use an electronic wheel on the body to adjust the aperture. And there are also Gelded lenses where you only have the body control and nothing else.

Yes I went for a DP1 in the end too.
I weighed up the pros and cons and felt that the cons weren't much of an issue for me. Even if I don't like it I won't loose out by putting it back on ebay.
I have had a bit of a play with it & really like the manual focus. It takes me back to my old Minox.

advertisement

Back