advertisement

Another systemdek IIX question

Ewen1970

The Ocean Doesn't Want Me
Morning!

I've noticed that my Dek platter doesn't seem to run perfectly flat.

The Dek is well set up in so far as the table is level, the top plinth is level, the springy bit that holds the bearing is level, but it's as if the inner platter is buckled.

I can't hear a difference or issue with the sound so am tempted just to ignore it.

Any other similar experiences or suggestions?

Thanks

Ewen

which type of bearing does it have? i do know on some of their turntables they used the oil pump bearing (spiral grove) and it was known to be loose fitting, i think the idea was the oil would create a seal as such and center the shaft and lubricate the whole thing? when i got my systemdek 2 the sub was slightly loose or wobbly but filling with new oil sorted it, although i never noticed it whilst playing it was only when i changed the belt that i noticed the wobble in the shaft. could it have been damaged in some way?

Thanks Jimmytwo.

Not sure what type of bearing it is, but I think it's ok. If it wasn't straight the platter wouldjustbe spinning on an angle.

My platter goes up and down like a buckled wheel, which suggeststhe bearing is ok.

On the end of the postgoing through the platter is a sunk ballbearing which looks worn. I wonder if that's the problem???

Maybe I'll see if I can get a new inner platter.

Maybe a new space bar too.......

the ball bearing on mine was stuck to the bottom of the bearing well, i had to remove the housing, invert it and give it a firm tap with a mallet to get the ball bearing out. once i cleaned it i used gearbox oil, 0.8ml irrc. too little or too much oil and it wont sit right. what you describe sounds like a damaged sub platter maybe, as if its had some kind of shipping damage or something? it would take quite alot of force to bend the main shaft, so its probably the the sub thats damaged where it meets the main shaft? are there any marks on the shaft its self or any cracking around the part where the shaft comes through the sub? is the bearing housing tightened down to the sub chassis fully? whats the sub made from, mine is plastic but i have seen some that look like painted mdf could be mistaken though.

cheers

My ball seems to be stuck in the bottom of the shaft of the spindle. Is that right?? Mine has the mdf platter you're talking about. The inner platter itself looks fine. Maybe I'll take a peak at the bearing!

Thanks again!

Seen a few where daylight can be seen between inner and upper platters.
I don't think either of the inner platters were the most stable of materials
to use and given the age of the decks?
Doubt if what you are describing relates to the bearing as long as it's tightened
to the sub chassis and lubricated correctly.

Well just had the inner platter off again and it seems to be pretty true. However, the ball bearing in the end of the spindle that goes into the bearing housing doesn't move and looks like it has a slight amount of wear to the point that is in contact with the actual bearing housing. Mmmh!

Bearing itself is tightened nicely and now re oiled.

Sounds quite good nevertheless, but looks like a warped record going round.......

have you had the systemdek from new? the mdf sub may be warped due to how its been stored, cold or damp loft etc, i think audio note still provide spares for systemdeks but they're not cheap. you could try ebay for a spare sub platter

cheers

advertisement

Back