advertisement

Another new bass player picks up a four-string axe...

Michael J

pfm Member
I got a repair project cheaply last weekend (no strings, no nut). I ordered some cheapo strings online on Monday, bid on and won a cheap little practise amp (buyer collects) on Tuesday, visited my local independente musicke shoppe yesterday for a couple of strap pins, fitted the strings (which had arrived already while I was out) loosely, attacked a spare guitar nut with a file, fitted a spare strap and tuned it up.

It worked, but umm... noisy, sound cutting out, high action, no surprises there. Today I lifted out the control electrics and blasted the pots with lighter gas, then lined the compartment with metal tape - result much better, nothing horrid when turning the knobs. Then I lifted the neck and shimmed the body end of the pocket, refit neck, retune, result better action. It's getting there, total spend so far is about £40 including petrol. :)

DiMavery, with a plain wood finish, it looks like an SB-320 or 321, two humbucker pickups, with 2x volume and 1x tone controls.

Ed: and the amp is a Fender/Squier BP•15.

Nice. I should find myself a bass some day. Mandolin first though.

Looks to have a truss rod and a decent bridge; surprised the neck pocket needed shimming.

I want a low action... I can make it happen... it is (and always was) a cheapie... I can undo the changes easily enough... it's only a toy... etc. :D

I want a low action... I can make it happen... it is (and always was) a cheapie... I can undo the changes easily enough... it's only a toy... etc. :D

What's the neck relief like? I'd let it settle down with the new strings for a day or two then maybe have a gentle play with the truss rod. Fret a string at the first and last fret simultaneously and see how much of a gap you have under the frets in the middle (I tend to aim for about 1-1.5mm here, but I like a very low action on a bass). If it's way out, e.g. you've got 3-4mm or more then go gently and in stages (i.e. let it rest for a bit) when adjusting the truss rod. As ever bare in mind that you are playing with springs here, i.e. balancing the truss rod against the string pull. Everything has an effect, so don't be surprised if the neck shim needs changing or even removing, or the bridge needs another tweak.

It looks to be in the 3mm range right now, I can't tell exactly - my hands aren't huge and I don't have three of them at the moment... I haven't finished fettling things yet, so I'll take that advice on board.

You can't beat having a proper set up from someone who knows what they are doing.
My son had his Les Paul professionally set up and he reckons it has never played better cost a mere £35 plus strings.

You can't beat having a proper set up from someone who knows what they are doing.
My son had his Les Paul professionally set up and he reckons it has never played better cost a mere £35 plus strings.

I'd argue that you can't beat learning how to do it properly yourself. That way you can set the instrument for exactly how you play, and obviously have the opportunity to adapt the setup as your playing style adjusts with time. My advice would be to buy a really good book, e.g. The Guitar Player Repair Guide By Dan Eerlwine. Mine's a much earlier edition that I've had for an age and it's great for everything from basic setup right through to the stuff I'd unquestionably chicken-out of and take to a trusted luthier.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I did a similar thing with a Squier Telecaster and very quickly realised that I was close to the cost of just buying a new one by the time I finished. When I decided I needed a bass for putting onto tracks at home I bought an Epiphone EBO for £120 which is actually a great bass.
I like the idea of a basket case though. It's certainly more true to the spirit of R'n'R. We want photos. Before shimming the neck, adjust the truss rod and get the camber right. There are tons of internet guides to setting up correctly and I'd be surprised if the shimming of the neck is necessary.
It must be a shocker if you've done it for £40 incl. amp. Far nicer than an anonymous new one.

It must be a shocker if you've done it for £40 incl. amp. Far nicer than an anonymous new one.

The budget split so far is:

a) bass £5 + strings £5.79 + strap pins £3.50 = £14.29
b) amplifier £13.50
c) a couple of gallons of petrol

Never-before-used strap, old diy guitar lead, salvaged nut, metal tape, and lighter gas were all on my shelves anyway. I happened to have a few soft bags including one for an acoustic 12-string (plenty long enough), and I even already had a never-used Stagg stand for it. I'll not be paying anyone for setting it up, ever. I'll just go and chat with the man running the musicke shoppe. :D

I'd argue that you can't beat learning how to do it properly yourself. That way you can set the instrument for exactly how you play, and obviously have the opportunity to adapt the setup as your playing style adjusts with time. My advice would be to buy a really good book, e.g. The Guitar Player Repair Guide By Dan Eerlwine. Mine's a much earlier edition that I've had for an age and it's great for everything from basic setup right through to the stuff I'd unquestionably chicken-out of and take to a trusted luthier.

I've got the earlier edition of that book myself and also heartily recommend it to anyone who owns a guitar - whether it needs repaired or not!

Mr Tibbs

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've got the earlier edition of that book myself and also heartily recommend it to anyone who owns a guitar - whether it needs repaired or not!

Mr Tibbs

Dan and Mark Erlewine also make some great guitars. Knopfler and Stevie Ray play(ed) them, among others.

advertisement

Back