advertisement

Another mains fuse hits the streets

Magic Quantum Vodka Reference Statement fuses are easier to sell to well off folks as any fool with a screwdriver can fit them to a mains plug.
Different market and hi-fi firms don't seem to have found a way to flog gold-plated capacitors dipped in beeswax for £600 each. Yet.
Not yet gold plated but advanced HiFi marketing researchers have already discovered beeswax for capacitors as well as for fuses: Jupiter HT Beeswax Paper Capacitors Cryo. Gold plating as an option would probably raise the price to the premium luxury level you suggest.

Yes, but only fuses get so crazy offerings and lenghty discussions, and cables. Any other parts inside not, nobody speaks much about wiring inside amp or speaker like it matter very little. Or probably just wrong section.

That's because a fuse is something really easy to change and convince yourself it's made a difference! Re-wiring you amplifier; not so much...

I had the electrician fit a separate spur in the front lounge, which gave the system a real lift in quality.

Think you may have had a radial installed; a spur is just that, not separate but comes off another circuit. Hopefully your radial was connected to a separate c.u. I don't care now but was a staunch advocate of dedicated mains in the past (admittedly when I was an upper level Naimee :() Had a number of installations in different rooms/houses; still have current radials and they don't eat anything but having mostly valved kit now, I doubt their benefits are recognised by my kit as much as before.

"English"? Careful! This is a UK based forum.

AH, that MAINLY RINGS true ;)

Inside a SINERGISTIC ORANGE FUSE, label removed.

s4941C0.jpg

GQ4tV2F.jpg

GxQxBez.jpg

This photo shows a standard Bussmann fuse, borrowed from the NF.

Yb1uw93.jpg

Absolutely no modification whatsoever, apart from scraping off the BUSSMANN logo and safety markings.

Below is my solution. All protected by its own dedicated circuit 16a 30ma RCCB Protected circuit with 16A MCB, much better than an old archaic fuse. This was actually a recommendation once years ago by hifi press apparently.

rIlNxEw.jpg

b0WCnT8.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ That's some amazing Alien type Tech right there inside that "Orange" fuse, where's my credit card?? ^^^

But seriously, what can they say about what makes it special other then something like it's Cryotreated because it's obvious that it's simply a rebadged production fuse.

What did you expect anyway?
Those guys are crooks and should be sued for selling snake oil/fairy dust.

Totally shocking but not unexpected.

I believe you are referring to an RCBO not an RCD.

RCD's will not provide any protection against overload. An RCBO is an RCD and MCB combined, this providing protection against overload and earth leakage faults.

Is that legit? Wouldn't surprise me tbh
If it was you'd *still* get people backing them up saying they can hear a difference.
The strangest statement in his earlier videos about these fuses what that a customer tried 'no fuse' and an 'audiophile fuse' and the audiophile fuse was better.

Totally shocking but not unexpected.

I believe you are referring to an RCBO not an RCD.

RCD's will not provide any protection against overload. An RCBO is an RCD and MCB combined, this providing protection against overload and earth leakage faults.
Yes, just checked, RCCB with MCB. Edited previous post accordingly.

Last edited:
^^^ That's some amazing Alien type Tech right there inside that "Orange" fuse, where's my credit card?? ^^^

But seriously, what can they say about what makes it special other then something like it's Cryotreated because it's obvious that it's simply a rebadged production fuse.
Apparently they’re exposed to 1,000,000 volts as well!

Below is my solution. All protected by its own dedicated radial 16a 30ma RCD Protected circuit,

With that, you don't even need those. Ian suggested RCBO but you could have a separate 16 A MCB with 30 mA RCD, I s'pose. Unless you have multiple radials, I guess you terminate with a hydra/ext. block etc. Wonder what gauge your T&E is is (4, 6 or 10mm2?

What bothers me about those 15 amp round pin plugs which were in hifi vogue yonks ago was that they were used on ring mains. Even then, this must've been recognised as a risk. The contact area and ease of cleaning/polishing were beneficial cf 13 amp pins

Look at the plugs and sockets in the rest of the world: those fused UK plugs are really prehistoric and needlessly oversized. Whenever I show them to students they can’t stop laughing.

With that, you don't even need those. Ian suggested RCBO but you could have a separate 16 A MCB with 30 mA RCD, I s'pose. Unless you have multiple radials, I guess you terminate with a hydra/ext. block etc. Wonder what gauge your T&E is is (4, 6 or 10mm2

It's 2.5mm T&E. Comes straight from the separate consumer unit to one single socket in our lounge.

just been in cupboard to check exactly, it's a separate RCCB 30ma trip current, apparently 2.5ms trip time in the event of short circuit with a 16a MCB. I know it definitely works as shorted out a cable once when decorating!

I agree, I’d never use them in any other circuit, I’m making up a mains block just for the hifi with these. I don’t leave the system on 24/7 so unlikely anything to happen when we're not at home.

advertisement

Back